12 yr old night time sneaks!

So my son was diagnosed in September 2019. He is not on a pump only finger sticks and pen. This past week I woke up at 2am to check his bs and it was over 500 not one night but two nights in one week :worried: as a mom I need advice on how to handle these things as I am upset sad mad all in one !

I took away his Xbox but after I felt bad like oh my am I over reacting over a NUMBER. :worried:

The advise I need is how do I deal with explaining the Importantance of not eating snacks at night or milk or juice with out flipping out he’s 7 th grade usually was very good at understanding his t1d

Do any parents deal with these incidents with their child?

Hi Christina @Jojojazz89I can understand your frustration, and I can also understand your 12 / 13 year old son’s “need” for a snack. I’m not a parent of a child or grandchild with diabetes, thankfully, but I myself with seven decades living with diabetes very safely will snack late evenings; the milk or juice only is included in snacks when I am “trending low” - I really hate being awakened by night-time hypoglycemia.

Discipline appears to be ineffective in this particular situation for you, so why not try “education”? At your son’s age, he is quite capable of understanding the basic formula about balancing food and activity with insulin - he knows well by now that the required insulin is not being produced by his body, so he needs to inject. Help him implant in his head that FOOD = INJECTION, and see that he follows this rule - unless he is already “low” or involved in certain activities.

Have him write down the carbohydrate counts for snacks he likes and would take in the evening. Also write down specific Insulin:Carbohydrate ratios for times of day and even to make things more simple, keep a chard handy with customary snacks and insulin required for his glucose level - yes, require him to do a finger-stick - OUCH factor. By 7th grade he HAS the arithmetic skills to do these calculations in his head.

Please try to avoid making eating a crime - from my experience, greatest character talent developed the required starvation-diets for managing diabetes in the 1940’s, 1950’s, 1960’s was the ability to lie and cheat when eating.

1 Like

My son is also not on a pump. Diagnosed in Sept '12 at 13, he’s a 20 year old man now. Have been there too. It’s very worrying I know. I don’t know if this helps, back when my son was a similar age and hungry all the time and wanting snacks, I put a list of options he could have on the kitchen cupboard door. 2 lists, one list of very low carb snacks which he didn’t need to inject for and one list of higher carb snacks that he would need to inject for. The former list was very appealing and longer! I think it helped some of the time.
I have now learnt (I didn’t for a long time) to not react like i used to over a NUMBER as you put it too. It is just a NUMBER. It’s a journey for your son, and you…and me and my son. Its full of ups and downs and in my opinion with continue to be so. Be kind to yourself. Best of wishes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes- either this or something else. My son has been in grief/denial/anger most of the time since diagnosis 1.5 years ago. He is 13 now. Sometimes that looks like grasping for control. Other times it’s just wanting to be “normal” and denial behavior. I am often stuck between my heart breaking for him having to go through this (so not wanting to upset him further with discipline) and being so frustrated that he won’t partner and behave like an “adult”. Sigh.
I agree with the idea of having an approved, non-carb, non-dose snack list. If there are things he can do on his own without having to inject that gives him a little bit of control (jerky, cheese, HB eggs are ideas). Also, you might want to consider getting an adjusted carb ratio dosing for nighttime. We found that with certain foods or at certain times of the day his body reacts differently so for example we might have to dose at 1:10 for one food item and 1:20 for another or later in the day. Also- this was huge – there were times where it seemed like his body wasn’t even responding to insulin at night. We found out from his endocrinologist that insulin competes with growth hormone. Growth hormone peaks at night while they sleep! Unfortunately it doesn’t happen every night so you don’t know for sure but there are going to be times where he’s going to spike high at night, even without eating. So that also could be a factor and it may not all be about the snacks. I also agree with the idea of reminding him that food is not the enemy, it just requires insulin and a shot. So they have to decide if what they want to eat is “shot worthy”. That’s what brought my son to want more non-carb snacks. Focus on what he CAN do and what he CAN control. And try to build him up by telling him he’s gaining independence with these good decisions. Mine doesn’t accept the idea that “ We are thankful and blessed to even have insulin“ and tends to go negative still but I still say it and realize he is just still grieving. So sorry, mama friend. I’ve been there! It will get better- and worse- but you can do this! God made you his mom for a reason!

1 Like

Thank you for your response reading this as tears roll down my face because I’m not alone !! Thank you so much for advice and sharing

1 Like

Thank you for your response I appreciate it as I see I am not alone :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

morseyami It is great to offer a list of healthful liked foods. Seeing what is allowed is far more effective than looking at or imagining a list of forbidden items.

When I was diagnosed, 1969, A blood test in December offered results the following June. The June test results were learned the following December. I hope those newly diagnosed realize what a great system finger-tip or Continuous Glucose Monitors are for their diabetic control.

As a fourth grader my mother explained to me that I would have to live my whole life with diabetes, not her. She stepped back and let me learn all I could from the doctors of my generation. It was my condition that I had to learn how to manage. This promoted my getting an education as a dietitian in order to understand exactly how food affects everything in my life. Mom is gone and I am still living with my diabetes.