? 20 grams of carbohydrate meals

Hey everyone!

If anyone has read/ is reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, he recommends eating a low carb, high protein and fat diet...you should read the specifics, but I thought it might be a good idea to post low carb recipes (≤ 20 grams of carbs)

Thanks!! :D

Here is one:

Crustless Smoked Salmon/Leek/Mushroom Quiche

Ingredients:

• 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 6 ounces smoked salmon
  • 1 cup leek (sliced)
  • 1 cup red pepper (chopped)
  • 1 cup portobello mushrooms (chopped) 
  • 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese 
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • a bit of hot sauce
  • paprika, salt, and pepper

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.

2. Saute leeks, mushrooms, and peppers.

3. Meanwhile, crumble salmon in pie plate. Cover with vegetables when done, and then sprinkle with the cheese.

4. Also meanwhile, blend/whisk eggs, cream, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper.

5. Pour the egg mixture over the rest of the ingredients, and sprinkle with paprika.

6. Bake for 35-50 minutes. Start checking after half an hour. If it's getting too brown but the middle is too liquid, cover with foil. When done, the center will still be a bit loose. Take it out of the oven or the rest will overcook. In 5 minutes, the center will be done from the heat of the rest of it.

Makes 3 servings:

Carbohydrates per serving: 9 g

Fibre per serving: 3.7 g

thanks for the recipe and the info. with it !!!

Here's another one :)

Nut-encrusted Fish

• Approx. 20 oz. cod, haddock or other mild white fish
  • 1 cup finely chopped almonds
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 4 Tb. soy/wheat flour
  • salt/ pepper
  • parsley
  • olive oil

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Wash and pat dry fish fillets. Mix spices with flour and dredge fish pieces through mixture.

3. Dip coated pieces of fish first into beaten egg, then into ground almonds, rolling around until all pieces are evenly coated.

4. Heat oil in oven proof skillet (I prefer cast iron) to very hot, almost smoking, then add fish fillets. Brown on one side, then carefully turn them over, and immediately place the whole pan in the hot oven until fish is milky white throughout and flakes easily with fork- about 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness is usually about right.

Serves 4

Carbs per Serving: approx. 8 grams **double check..(depending on flour)

Fibre per Serving: 3 grams

Hi Reet,I Just read your bio. you sound like such a thoughtful person.Your boyfriend is lucky to find someone that cares about type 1. Do you or anyone here have any snack or treat ideas.My teen has friends over alot and I want to put things together 1st for her being type1,but things they would like too.

I have to emphasize that I haven't read Dr. Bernstein's book...but I think he mentions "Sugar-free Jello"...sorry I couldn't be more help.

If you find crackers/ bread or something low carb, this spread is less boring than cream cheese as a snack :)

Seafood/Sausage Snack Spread

Ingredients:

1 can Tuna
4 sausage links
200 grams shrimp — peeled
3 tablespoons mayonnaise

How to Prepare:
Cook sausage. Let cool and cut into bite size pieces. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add seasoning to taste

Carbs Per Serving: 3 Grams Carbs Total

Sugar Free Chocolate Pecan Torte

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups pecans
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water

Preparation:

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8 or 9" round pan or springform pan.

1) Process pecans in food processor - pulse until they are meal - but they won't get quite as small as corn meal.

2) Add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse again.

3) Add the wet ingredients and process until well-blended.

4) Pour into pan and bake. Start checking at about 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Nutritional Information:

Makes 8 servings:

7 grams of carbs per serving

approx. 330 calories per serving

Hey Reed,who wouldn't like that ? Thanks,I am goiing to try this for sure !!