If anyone has read/ is reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, he recommends eating a low carb, high protein and fat diet...you should read the specifics, but I thought it might be a good idea to post low carb recipes (≤ 20 grams of carbs)
Here is one:
Crustless Smoked Salmon/Leek/Mushroom Quiche
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 6 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 cup leek (sliced)
- 1 cup red pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup portobello mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- a bit of hot sauce
- paprika, salt, and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Saute leeks, mushrooms, and peppers.
3. Meanwhile, crumble salmon in pie plate. Cover with vegetables when done, and then sprinkle with the cheese.
4. Also meanwhile, blend/whisk eggs, cream, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the rest of the ingredients, and sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake for 35-50 minutes. Start checking after half an hour. If it's getting too brown but the middle is too liquid, cover with foil. When done, the center will still be a bit loose. Take it out of the oven or the rest will overcook. In 5 minutes, the center will be done from the heat of the rest of it.
Makes 3 servings:
Carbohydrates per serving: 9 g
Fibre per serving: 3.7 g