3yr old won’t stop eating

My three year old was diagnosed six months ago and ever since she has been incredibly hungry and wants to eat all the time! In the beginning I understand that her body was starved but we’re several months in now and the only way to get her to not eat is by distraction but even when we’re out she’ll ask for food all the time and if I let her eat to our hearts content it will not stop all day.
I asked my endocrinologist and she said yeah I heard that her BMI looks good I wouldn’t worry about it… I definitely need more help than that is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Three year olds have a lot of growing to do. And a lot of running around. They need a lot of fuel. It can also just be fun to eat.

My sister’s kids were very fussy eaters and getting them to consume enough calories at that age was a real uphill battle. I remember sitting with my nephew for 2 hours getting him to slowly, coaxing him one bite at a time, consume 1/3-1/2 a slice of pizza. And then something would set him off (some smell he didn’t like or whatever) and he’d throw up and we’d have to start again. The opposite problem sounds like a much better one to have.

I get that you’re concerned. But your endo says it’s not a problem. You can talk it over with your general pediatrician.

There’s the question of what she’s eating. (Particularly how much of it is sugar vs complex carbs, protein, etc.) That’s more of a concern for a diabetic than a regular three year old. But if her BG/A1C values are generally good and your endo is happy, then that’s fine.

Being a mom is hard. There’s so much to worry about. So many opportunities to worry that you’re screwing up. (That’s a sign of good parenting. It’s the ones who don’t worry that you have to look out for.) But it’s easy to worry too much about things that aren’t really a problem.

Talk it over with your pediatrician. And maybe a dietician, if you can. What she should be eating and how much and when. But if her body is saying it needs more food, there’s probably a reason for that. If you can give her the insulin she needs, it’s probably fine. She can learn more self-discipline and better eating habits when she’s a little older.

@trodriquez Hello Tiffany, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum! I am not offering “medical advice”, but rather offer suggestions from what I’ve learned while living into seven decades with diabetes.

You are in a difficult position with a three-year-old just because her communication skills are developing. It has been many years since my children and grandchildren were her age but I remember that they were always wanting to eat; I do remember well that before and for a long time after my diagnosis when I was a teen, I was always trying to grab something more to eat. Then, in the 1950s, our diabetes was managed by a shot of insulin and a measured starvation diet.

Unfortunately, her incredibly hungry could be caused by either not giving her enough insulin to cover the carbohydrates she is eating, or by giving her too much insulin - or more likely [which is good] her body is demanding to be “replenished” from any damage nature caused before her diagnosis and subsequent management with insulin. A positive comment is that her doctor believes her weight is appropriate for her body size. You may want to talk with a pediatric nutritionist who has experience working with TypeOne clients who can help you find the foods that may alleviate the feeling your daughter is experiencing. Insulin is a “growth hormone” that may cause some PwD to always feel hungry.

1 Like

Hi Tiffany,

I was diagnosed with T1 before I turned two, (back in the mid-1980s) so I can relate to your circumstances. My parents also had to worry a lot about what/how much I ate, how often, etc.

I’m not a doctor, but six months since diagnosis really isn’t a long time. Your daughter is probably still in the “honeymoon” phase of diabetes. It takes the body at least a year to “adjust” to a major illness like that.

I wouldn’t think there’s anything pathological to her eating long as your child isn’t overweight and her blood sugars/ A1c levels are within target range. Naturally, the pediatrician and/or endocrinologist can give you the best idea of how to approach food.