4 year old son was diagnosed on 2/12/14

It’s been a week since my son was diagnosed and its scary. He’s taking like a champ but I’m putty. It’s comforting to know that we are not alone.

I am so sorry taronji. You must be in shock.

Just know your son is going to be okay and you will be too. Diabetes doesn’t mean he won’t have a good life.

I was diagnosed at age 4 and will turn 41 in a couple of weeks. I’m a wife, mom, and college graduate. I have traveled and worked a variety of jobs. No diabetes complications. I don’t mean to diminish the difficulties of living with diabetes, either the shots, high and low blood sugars or the emotional challenges of having a lifelong disease. No one would choose to have diabetes.

But I also know it is one of the most important parts of me that has shaped the person I have become.

Please let us know if we can do anything to help you. Also, seek out a Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation office in your area for a Bag of Hope. They have good information (the Calorie King guide and Pink Panther guide to diabetes are excellent) and this cool bear named Rufus that has sort of a cult following in the type 1 diabetes world. http://t1n-migration.10uplabs.com/bag-of-hope/

Take care. -Jenna

Taronji your son is going to be okay. I am a former diabetic. I am 12 years old.
I was diagnost at the age of 5. My mom had a tough time to. Diabetes is a struggle, but having diabetes has formed me into the person I am today. I make honer roll every semester in school, I have responsibilities (watching my brother and sister)(cleaning)(taking care of myself) etc. .
Having diabetes will have its ups and downs, but their will be those times you just embrase being a diabetic.

hope everything goes well- Charisma

He will be fine. My daughter diagnosed when she was 4 years old. She is 14 now and studying in 8th grade. Perfect and enjoying her life like her other siblings.

Take care.