6 Question Survey - Dexcom G5/G6 Users

Hello, I am a student at Arizona State University working with a team who are trying to enhance the usability of the Dexcom CGM product. We are in the stage now where we are collecting data about its use and we would like to hear from a large group of respondents. If you are so inclined please respond to this post and answer the six questions below. For all those who participate, we thank you in advance. (Note: This survey is also on Reddit - r/Dexcom.)

1. Do you, a friend or a relative use the Dexcom G5 or G6 constant glucose monitor?

2. What is/are the best feature(s) of this product?

3. What is/are the worst feature(s) of this product?

4. If the product range (distance between transmitter and smartphone/Bluetooth endpoint) could be increased would that be (please select one answer - A, B or C) :
    a) very useful to me, a friend or a relative,
    b) not useful to me, a friend or a relative,
    c) no different in terms of its current usage.

5. If the product could connect to a home assistant such as Siri, Alexa or other assistants, would that be (please select one answer - A, B or C) :

6. Would you like to see any other improvements made to the product or do you have any further comments?

1.Yes, I use a continuous glucose monitor. Note you used wrong term.

1. Best feature is accuracy.

2. Warm up time. How about put sensor in 2 hours before current one expires so no dark time.

3. No difference

4. Very bad idea to open DexCom to any non-secure system.

5. Ability to have four receivers in system: 1) integrated pump, 2) DexCom receiver, 3) one smart phone, 4) hospital telemetry like central monitoring post for hospitalized DexCom users. For #4, give floor nurse transmitter ID so hospital staff can watch CGM values from central monitoring point in hospital.

1. Do you, a friend or a relative use the Dexcom G5 or G6 constant glucose monitor? I use it myself.
  2. What is/are the best feature(s) of this product? The alerts are the most important feature for me, although they way they are done is a negative (see next question).
    I love the ability to use my pump as the receiver, although it’s great to have Dexcom’s handheld to use as well. I don’t use the share function myself but I see how it can be helpful and even a necessity for others. I like the BIQ and CIQ features. I’m still working on getting the right settings in place for CIQ so it should work to full advantage - is a work in progress but this are coming together.
    If I’m running high or low I get separate alerts such as (this is my wording) “Your glucose is low.” Followed a minute later by “You are expected to fall below 70 within 15 minutes.” Combining the two would be ideal. Same applies to high alerts.
  4. If the product range (distance between transmitter and smartphone/Bluetooth endpoint) could be increased would that be (please select one answer - A, B or C) : B/C combined as I do not use it.
  5. If the product could connect to a home assistant such as Siri, Alexa or other assistants, would that be (please select one answer - A, B or C) : B/C combined as I do not use it.
  6. Would you like to see any other improvements made to the product or do you have any further comments?
1 Like
  1. Do you, a friend or a relative use the Dexcom G5 or G6 constant glucose monitor? I use it myself.
  2. What is/are the best feature(s) of this product?
  4. If the product range (distance between transmitter and smartphone/Bluetooth endpoint) could be increased would that be (please select one answer - A, B or C) :
  5. If the product could connect to a home assistant such as Siri, Alexa or other assistants, would that be (please select one answer - A, B or C) :
1 Like

Hi Fluffy @FluffyMarshMallow26. Thanks for your research project, I trust that information gathered will be shared directly with the appropriate Dexcom department. And Welcome to TypeOneNation!

1. Do you, a friend or a relative use the Dexcom G5 or G6 constant glucose monitor? I currently use the G^, and before that the G5.

2. What is/are the best feature(s) of this product? For me, accuracy is its prime feature. Secondary, the convenience - better than 8+ finger-sticks per day.

Unexpected “sensor error” [not signal loss]. Coupled with “sensor error”, is the unreliability of several readings both before and then again after sensor recovery. In the fifteen minutes before a “sensor error”, G6 readings can show a 50+ mg/dl drop that can’t be substantiated; similar erratic readings for a period post recovery.

4. If the product range: My Tandem t-Slim x2 is my primary receiver with no unexplained signal-loss - even when in shower [pump left in dressing room], or in hot-tub. Secondary receivers, phone and computer pick up continuous signal even when I leave my phone in the other room when I go to bed.

b) not useful to me, a friend or a relative: If I want, or WHEN I need someone to “listen in”, I would use the DexCom Clarity follow; no reason for wide-area spreading the news. Just yesterday, I packed-away Alexa that had been unplugged for a year.

In my very humble position, I see that the DexCom G6 is the primary weakness in the Control IQ system; the only fully Non-Adjunctive AIDs approved by USFD

My hope, is that the DexCom G7, under development, will be a significant improvement over the G5 [the DexCom G5 was more durable and more accurate - MARD Testing].

1 Like
  1. used G5 for several years, switched to G6 this year.

2. Accurate, when it is working.
    10 day site change, when it works.
    Profile is nice and it does stay attached.

3. Highly susceptible to compression lows
    Sensors frequently don’t last the advertised 10 days.
    Transmitters are poorly manufactured and fail without sufficient warning.( 3-5 hours instead of several days)

4. b, not useful

5. b. Definitely DON"T want more privacy invasions.

6. G5 was a fantastic product for me. If you could combine the reliability of the G5 with the extended features of the G6, it would be best in class again. Right now, it’s probably not any better than any other cgm on the market.

1. Relative uses G6
  2. Convenience
  3. Accuracy (never seems to read close to GM ) Signal loss-
  4. A
  5. B
  6. As a parent I would like to see Improvement with connection and possibly more accurate readings.

I would like to add - after personal experience and seeing another comment: I started a new sensor about 4 days ago and it was normal as always. My understanding was you would not be able to start one with <10 days left on your transmitter so I figured I was okay… Yesterday I got a Low Transmitter Battery alert on my pump, only to have the battery die just a few hours later. Thankfully I was at home and my new transmitter was nearby but I would have been out of luck had I been out. Also I’ve started using the TCONNECT app on my phone. My numbers match my pump receiver exactly, but my app showed Empty transmitter battery during the time my pump showed it as Low.

1 Like