670G or wait for 780g (currently on TSlimX2)

1…No, when you fill a POD, it starts the 72 + 8 hour timer. The pod expires at 72 hours but you have an 8 hour window to change it.
2…well, you can run it for 80 hours after filled or till you use 200 units…thats it.
3. I’m not personally familiar with any CGM/pod integration…sorry…

Hope this helps

Hi @Cgrover. I’ve used Minimed pumps but never their CGM - I now use Dexcom G5 with my TSLIM pump and am very happy with it. Since you said you have to eat the costs for replacement sensors I just thought I’d suggest you check out the Freestyle Libre to tide you over. Of course the advantage of your Medtronic is the looping feature, not to mention the alerts - although they are over the top. But if you can get by for a short time with swiping your readings -(which you would need to do frequently both to see your updated graphs and because it has no alerts) - and making your own adjustments - it might help save on costs.My doc have me an rx for one Freestyle sensor. There is one that lasts 10 days and another that lasts 2 weeks - out of pocket cost for two of the 14 day ones ranges from about $110-125 in my area (goodrx.com can show pricing in yours).
I understand that may not work for you, but thought I would mention it.

1 Like

Hi again. I finally have an updated iPhone that I can use as a reader and so will be picking up a month’s supply of the Libre today. My only experience with CGM was years ago with some awful Medtronic sensors. I want to be hopeful about this 14-day sensor. I was recalling that you mentioned you’ve learned how to make sure it sticks for good, and your kind offer of advice for that. I assumed it would just stay put per package instructions, but I’m guessing not. haha. Any tips welcome!

Skin-Tac is all you need

Hi Elizabeth, I’m glad you’re going to give them a try! If you don’t have a 14 day reader and decide to use them all the time, the company will send a certificate for one to take to your pharmacy along with a script from your Dr.
Here’s my three tips: I rotate between the backs of my arms, halfway btwn shoulder & elbow. First one is to shave the whole arm area anytime close to applying to get the peach fuzz off. Second is to use both alcohol wipes on the area that are provided in the box. Third, make sure it’s dry and firmly but gently apply the sensor and then push on it just like making sure a bandaid is on good. It doesn’t hurt a bit to push on it because it’s a thin tiny plastic cannula type piece in your arm.

Any redness when I take one off, I use an ointment like A&D or polysporin.

Please let me know if I can help or give you any more tips!

Thanks, Jason and Patti.
I’ll try your tips Patti and use the skin-tac as a backup
if that doesn’t seem to work. Jason, did you find they did not stay on the full 14 days without he skin-tac?
I hope they do send me a certificate for a reader–I called the company and asked for one because I’d seen some promotion and my iPhone was too old and I was told NO, they would only send them out to people who had been 10-day users. But it would make sense for them to try to keep their customers using it, since the sensors are pretty pricey and the regular meters seem to be handed out like candy (for that reason I’m sure)

I use the Dexcom G6, not the Libre. They both attach to the body the same way. Skin Tac is the preferred method for most CGM users

I am on day 3 with the freestyle libre 14-day. Life-changing. No problem with it staying put, even though I could not find skin-tac. I just followed the directions and gave it a little extra push as you suggested.
Thanks!

My pleasure! I hope you love using it as much as I do, the arrows are a life saver for me! I scan a LOT, but I like it that way and feel more in control. On the reader, have you asked your endo if they have any to give you or help to get one from Libre?

I really do love it. Should have done this earlier, but had such a bad experience years ago with the early Medtronic sensors. Have not gone over 200 a single time since I started it—and that is really unusual for me. (But then I am scanning 50 times a day and the trend lines are brilliant.) I expected these sensors might be either painful, or easy to dislodge, but so far it has been painless. I actually find my phone really easy to use as the reader—not sure I would carry around a second device. (A huge iPhone and a pump seem a lot to lug around 24-7 as it is!)

I’m so glad you are having a good experience with it so far and I hope it works out good for you too! I learned to just be aware of it on the back of my arm as far as getting dressed, putting on lotion( I don’t put any above it especially in hot weather), and I’ve never hit it on a doorway. In hot weather with sweaty skin I wipe around & up to the tape with alcohol wipes to keep lotions & sweat from loosening the adhesive & wear a doubled headband over it when sweat is really pouring over it. Only lost one sensor to sweat so far. One another note, without a reader, your endo can’t download the data but maybe there is a way with the app

I can only comment that the 670G has been a life changer for my daughter. She was have a lot of problems with nighttime numbers and now that fear and long nights of testing is minimal. Her a1c is now 6 and our local Medtronic support person is a huge help. My vote would be Medtronic but full disclosure we have always only used Medtronic

2 Likes

Hi Brie, I hated the sensors that went with my last Medtronic pump and loved my Dexcom during my trial. Dexcom is there main reason that I am going to try the Tandem, but also excited to try control IQ. Have you gotten yours yet ? Would love to hear from someone who has it.

Hey @Jleff16,
I did get dexcom G6 and tandem x2 about 9 months ago. Seriously best decision ever! Dexcom is great, love the X2. Love Basal IQ.

I have not started control IQ because I want to do some basal testing to make sure I have solid basal rates to start. I’m at a point in my DM care that I feel I need to reset my basals- start from scratch and make sure they are more on par with my daily trends.

The problem is… I am a provider and working in the pandemic full time +! So my baseline stress level is definitely high, and really not a good time for me to do basal testing!

Once I get that done I’m excited to use control IQ. In the meantime I’m just using basal IQ which works well at catching lows but not so helpful for the highs.
Last A1c was 6.3%. Lows <1%. Too many post prandial highs in my opinion but… taking it day to day!

Happy to talk more. Feel free to reach out.

Brie

Hello Brie,
Just wanted to give an update, ordered last Friday and chose to go with the basal IQ as well. They told me that it I wanted to move to the control IQ that it would be just a software update so that works for me. I’m not sure how processing and everything is going to go with everything going on otherwise, looking forward to getting this and the Dexcom. Will give another update and will probably all for some tips once I get it going. Thanks and stay safe, Jason

Just a tidbit here…my husband had MANY sensor failures in a row, which meant I was online requesting replacements constantly (turned out he may have scar tissue buildup in his abdominal area, so he has switched to the “love handle” area, which is working much better. Once you request THREE sensor replacements in THREE months, you get blacklisted. The only way they will replace the sensor is to make a direct call. This results in a LOT of questions and sometimes they will ask for the bad sensor to be sent back (they send a container and it is postage pre-paid). This is rather humiliating because these were honest sensor failures (or blood -in-the-sensor situations). I will repeat that they did get replaced, but the hassle factor and interrogations were a bit demeaning…especially because we are rule-followers and honest people. I’m guessing user dishonesty was the root cause of this rule. Save all your sensor bubble wrap and lot numbers every week just in case.

Stephanie @Stephanie_Y, try not to think that your honesty is being questioned. Studying Devices that fail is a required part of quality control, and possibly being able to address and correct a manufacturing defect.

A record of each call requesting a replacement for a failed sensor must be logged ad included in periodic report to FDA. You can also report medical device failure to FDA.

Hi @Stephanie_Y. I use TSLIM rather than Medtronic and the process may be different, but when I’ve had sensor issues I’ve always gotten on the phone with tech support - I’ve never reported online. They do go through “20 questions” which is annoying but may help with problem solving, and the documentation may help determine if there are trends with the devices among users. I’m trying to get in the habit of noting the lot number as it’s possible due there to be an issue with a particular batch.
I can imagine some users calling in with fake issues to get additional ones - it is frustrating for honest people like yourself.

Thanks, Dennis. I was told on one occasion (out of three in a row) that it WAS indeed because people were trying to get free sensors, and hence the limit of 3 sensors within 3 months…unless a person were to call in. Again, it annoys me that there are always a few bad apples in the bunch!

Tech support with Medtronic has always been very good, although troubleshooting has always been a dead end. When a person is trying to get ready for work and needs the CGM applied, there isn’t much time for 45 minutes of a person trying to help, even though they’ve been told we have already tried the obvious solutions (we have it written down for reference). On a funny note, one helpful tech was walking the hubby through a different scenario when we heard chickens crowing! He asked her where she was located and it was in the Philippines and yes, those were her backyard chickens! Her English was exceptional and we had a good laugh! Remote support sometimes is indeed remote! :slight_smile: