7.0 A1c needed for adoption?

Hello,  I'm Giordana, I'm new, T1 since 1992.

Has anyone here gone through the International Adoption process?  My husband and I have been doing the paperwork to adopt from Ethiopia for nearly a year, and were just told that I needed to have an A1c of 7.0 and under in order to be approved.

We were shocked and sad, to say the least.  We pushed back with JDRF statistics, letters from my endocrinologist, diabetic psychologist, Diabetes Educator, our local social worker etc. etc., but the agency we're working with won't budge.

We decided on adoption in the first place because I've been dealing with a large amount of fear and panic about low blood sugars, which caused an elevated A1c for a number of years (in the 9s).  I've worked very hard with my team to combat this, and have seen some positive results, it's just a slow process.  We wanted a family, so we thought, "we're not getting any younger, why not adopt?"

So I have a few questions for people here:

*have you adopted?  And if so, do you mind sharing your agency name with me?

*was an A1c a requirement for your adoption?

*are you planning to adopt?

They're giving me six months to get down to an 8.0, and then they'll accept us provisionally, with the expectation that I will get a 7.0 before we can move forward with an adoption.  We're right now coming to terms with our agency's decision, and deciding what to do next.   Keep in mind that all international adoptions go through a private agency, and this agency (no matter how ethical) can reject you for any reason, so if we intend to move forward with this agency, we can't push too hard.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Giordana, I have never heard of this before but I am going to find out ASAP!

thanks,

Gina

Giordana,

I've wondered about this.  I would like to have a biological child or two, but I worry about complications, so adoption is something that I am considering for the future.

I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with this.  It makes me wonder what other medical conditions this agency considers in deciding whether to approve potential adoptive parents.

As someone who may be going through this within 5-10 years, I'd love to learn about your journey.

Good luck in your fight and please keep me posted. 

Wow, that seems pretty ridiculous.  I mean, under their current standards, a person with an A1C of 3 would be approved...  and anyone with an A1C that low is having a loooot of low blood sugars.  How would that situation be any better for the child?

I just posted this in response to Gina on facebook:

"I suspect the actual a1c will vary by country, by agency, and by the person's endo. But, a T1 friend of mine who adopted internationally needed a letter from her endo stating she's in good control and would "be able to raise the child through adulthood" (i.e., not die soon, lol)."

Her a1c is in the 6's, so well-controlled T1 range, but not in the "non-D" range which can lead to lots of lows.

To be more specific, the research I've done found that any country and agency is able to set health requirements. e.g., China restricts by BMI, Colombia restricts by serious illness like cancer and lupus. So, I'm not totally surprised by this. The countries and agencies don't see it as a right to adopt -- they want to determine who can become parents to these kids.

My best advice to to get your a1c down. Since you'll become a parent, you want to be healthy for your child! I'm sorry if that sounds uncaring, but unfortunately, you can't control their requirements. If your agency doesn't seem open to T1, definitely look around for another b/c lots of T1's are able to adopt from what I've heard.

www.creatingafamily.com has a chart w/ general requirements by country, but they don't necessarily specify re D.

Good luck!

oops -- I just checked and it's www.creatingafamily.ORG

Giordana,

We adopted through the public (state adoption) system in 2005.  It was an arduous process and I had to provide five years of medical records (my husband only needed to provide three). I also needed a letter from my endocrinologist stating that in his medical opinion, there was no reason that (due to my diabetes) I wouldn't live long enough to see a child turn 18.  Depressing, but true.  Additionally, we both had to undergo a psychiatric evaluation - mine was focused on my attitude toward my disease and of course, the impending adoption.

My A1C was never specifically requested, but I'm sure it was in my medical records, at the time I was probably around a 7.

The second time we went through the adoption process we went the private route and worked with americanadoptions.com.  The requirements and the process was a lot less strict.  We ended up not completing the adoption though because we decided to stick to our only.

A low A1C is not necessarily the best indication of control.  I would encourage your endocrinologist to provide a documentation stating that you're in good health and your diabetes is not a factor weighing against your decision to start a family (if this is true). Research articles on this topic online and submit them to the agency.

However, the international adoption process is a tricky one that needs to adhere to several countries' policies and issues. I don't know how much flexibility this agency will have. (we researched international adoptions as well)

Feel free to ask me any questions and I wish you the best of luck.

Kelsey

HELLO: type1 diabetic since age 13-- variable A1c's ever since... Adoptive parent to THREE amazing children. Our children were adopted out the foster care system from a nearby state. My doctor had only to sign off on the fact that my diabetes wouldn't effect my parenting-- Our kids were ages 5, 6, and 8 when they came into our lives, and our ... See Morenow ages 7,9, and 11. we wouldn't change a thing- they are our loves. we are now looking into another adoption (crazy, i know!) I'm an advocate so:
www.adoptuskids.org
www.davethomasfoundation.org/
or contact your local DCYF office for information on how to become a foster-adoptive parent