A Bitter Pill -- A School's Drug Policy Sours One Teenager's Experience with Glucose Tablets

This infuriates me so much that I want to contact the school!!!

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_401.htm

wow. if that were me, my mom would've had that principal on his knees begging for forgiveness. if it were my kid, i'd make sure the principal was on his knees begging for my forgiveness(haha)

This is so ridiculous!!!   If he were passing out gum or sweet tarts would his have happened?  UGH! People are so stupid!

it's almost laughable how dumb they're being. any parent bringing in treats for a class could lace cupcakes with LSD too. i don't see them banning birthday treats any time soon.

(ok, des moines schools banned homemade treats, but that had to do with a Hep A outbreak about 13 years ago. everything has to be pre-packaged now for "safety"... but that's besides the point...) :o)

That is a ridiculous story. I agree with C that any other kind of sweet or food could be laced with LSD. The principal obviously didn`t even take the time to do any research. Anyway, if I were the parents, I would definitely take the administration to court. I know $2000 is a lot of money, but there is no possible way they would lose the case.

Interesting - Even more interesting are the replies here that you would take the school to court. The ridiculous overly litigious society we have become is the reason for 'no tolerance' policies like this. It was a misunderstanding, and although the school overreacted, this only happened due to the need for them to protect themselves from lawsuit happy parents. What if one student were allergic to it? What if one had choked on it? What if they really were laced with other substances? Although these seem like ridiculous questions to some, it is on the mind of every school administrator in the country every day, and is a lesson learned by all.

That is the most idiotic thing I think I've ever read!  Public school systems can be so unreasonable with the most simple of things.  According to both the principal and the superintendent (with PhDs), the whole world is on drugs.  We should all write letters of complaint. 

[quote user="Adam"]

Interesting - Even more interesting are the replies here that you would take the school to court. The ridiculous overly litigious society we have become is the reason for 'no tolerance' policies like this. It was a misunderstanding, and although the school overreacted, this only happened due to the need for them to protect themselves from lawsuit happy parents. What if one student were allergic to it? What if one had choked on it? What if they really were laced with other substances? Although these seem like ridiculous questions to some, it is on the mind of every school administrator in the country every day, and is a lesson learned by all.

[/quote]

I don't necessarily think they should take the school to court and sue for a billion dollars, but I do think they should take it court to have the suspension stricken from his record. When he is in high school looking at colleges and applying for certain scholarships and grants, they will look at his school records. Having the suspension and in-school suspension on the there, especially if it just says something like "passing out OTC drugs", will affect his ability to get scholarships and grants. He most likely wouldn't even be considered for honors such as NHS (Nat'l Honor Society) or NCYL (Nat'l Council on Youth Leadership). It's unfortunate how the school handled a simple situation.

There's ignorance and then there's IGNORANCE. I agree with the others who pointed out that any of the treats can be laced with something. Even if it is pre-wrapped or whatever. How hard is it to to put the wrapper back on a piece of candy? Speaking of candy, that's what Glucose Tabs look like, not medicine as someone in the article stated.

all because the label said 'glucose tabs' instead of 'sweet tarts' or 'rockets'? ridiculous! cause candy candy can't be laced with anything unless it is called a glucose tablet. wow, i guess we can stop checking our kids' halloween candy then unless someone starts handing out glucose tabs. i agree with fighting to take this off his record.

I am saddened by this in a way that I haven't felt since I was first diagnosed. It's hard enough, being so young. I hope they give the kid a break and realize they made a mistake.

That's ridiculous! I used to give glucose tabs to my curious friends when I was younger haha but teachers always knew what they were and what they were for-- but I made it my responsibility to tell them before the school year even started. It's amazing how ignorant school administration can be. Why not just ask a biology teacher what glucose tablets are? I'm joking of course, but I'd require some major payback for this mistake!

Wow- how disheartening. I wonder if they read the ingredients, that would have clear it up right away.  There is some of the same stuff in the energy gels marketed to athletes... Hopefully the ADA will help out.

You know it's funny that this was brought up because today I had to pick my sisters and brother (who is also T1) and 2 other kids early from school today and my brother looked at me and said kimi pull over eat something you look low...sure enough I was and I had glucose tabs in my car and he wanted one just because they were his favorite and his best friend was like i want one and Ty was like no it's for us only. And I had already read the article and was like wow this is crazy!

Wow that is amazing that your brother can know that you are low by looking at you... That is kind of cool actually!

We kinda have our own "diabetic communication" it's weird cause our dad is like what are yall talking about and one of us will be like he/she is high or he/she is low. And he's like how do you know. It's really funny when we guess each other's numbers and we are almost always right!! We are 8 years apart and it's like twins when they can read each other's minds. It is weird, but really helpful in cases like me driving today and when we go huntin or playing baseball/softball or any where for that matter.

Wow.

"For all we know it could be laced with LSD." Really?! Sure, in the same way candy passed out by a teacher for good behavior could be laced with LSD. I remember being sad when I couldn't eat candy as a reward from a teacher, before pumps came out.

"He said that it wasn't the substance that mattered; it was the principle - he was passing out drugs." Um... the substance DOES matter if it is not actually drugs.

I had a similar experience, although on a much smaller scale. When I was in middle school a teacher saw my pump which was clipped on my waistband and she asked me to put my pager away. I patiently explained that it wasn't a pager, it was an insulin pump. She said to put it away anyway so people don't think it's a pager. The pants I was wearing didn't have pockets, so that wasn't really an option, and obviously I wasn't about to disconnect it... I just ignored her. Fortunately she didn't say anything else. Has anyone else had an experience like that?

I don't think I could get away with it now, but when I was in school (graduated in 2000), I carried my insulin, snacks, glucometer, whatever, with me and did what I wanted.  They DID tell me at first that I had to go to the nurse at lunch to test, but I just didn't do that, I did what I wanted to do.  But I was a rebellious type, kinda, "I DARE you to tell me I can't do what I know is best for my diabetes!" 

As we see across this board, whenever diabetics interact in any type of situation where the people there think they know better than you in general, diabetics run into problems.  That includes schools and hospitals.  I'm actually glad diabetics are prohibited from joining the military.  At least I've never heard of churches trying to mess with anyone's diabetes, except those kinds of religions that don't believe in health care.  Don't even get me started on the horrors faced by diabetics who go to prison (never been myself, but I have a great many problems with the US prison system and this is among them).  And, actually, the worst care I ever had in my life was as a child at a diabetes camp, where they kept having group sports, and I was this kinda arty little kid who hardly participated in the group sports and just stood there during games, unsure of what to do, and then they'd FORCE me to eat extra food to counteract all the "extra activity" I was doing.  Man, I was an angry third grader, and my sugars were through the roof.

Honestly, all KINDS of people think they know something about diabetes and are just wrong.  Practical strangers will INSIST I can't have sugar, or need special meals, or that a series of highs were caused by my NOT eating.  I remember CORRECTING my high school health teacher when she taught the class about how diabetics couldn't have sugar and when she said type 1 was genetic.  Do you remember back when EVEN DOCTORS would tell diabetics that sugar made your bs go up high then fall back low quickly?  Even as a little kid, I KNEW that wasn't true.  I knew it made your blood sugar go up but not back down.  The way that people really grasp onto and defend their ignorance consistently infuriates me.

Sorry if this has gone off topic of this boy who was suspended for having glucose tabs.  But I posted it originally BECAUSE it demonstrates so well the attitude that so many ignorant teachers and school officials have.  Now, I know a few good teachers, and even had a few, but MOST of the people I know who became teachers were the bottom of the barrel people -- low on smarts and "liked kids."  I'm sorry if that offends, but it was true!  The people from my high school who I see on facebook became teachers were the most simple (read that how you like) folks.  If I had kids, I'd home school.

This is just not right. Please have anyone you know email the super at rcharles@mail.stcharles.k12.mo.us

Quick note, it looks like this happened in the late 90's or early 2000. The article was last updated in 2002.

that school needs to fire its principle and superintendant! i pass out glucose tablets to my friends all the time. if they are a "drug", then im a supplier of drugs. if it happened to me i'd sue my school for every penny they had. (which isnt much).