A lot to lose

I got a good 150+ lbs to lose.  My delima here is the more I diet the more I gain.  I am seeing the endo in Feb because of this.  I also get hungry.  Any ideas or tips that will help me?

One of the best ways to burn extra calories is to move all or part of your work outs to the first thing in the morning. Even if it's a quick walk or run. This will get your metabolism up and running for the whole day.

Thats good to know as my body get used to moving again.  I been sick so long I got to build it back up.  But a good point thanks.

If you eat too few calories your body will stop losing.  Check with your doctor or dietician, but I think most people need 1,200-1,800 depending on age, activity level, etc.  I know exercise is good, but in my experience the only way to lose weight is to cut calories. 

Be ready to lower your insulin if you're eating less and also when you start losing weight. 

Have your thyroid checked and ask your doctor if you need to be treated for sleep apnea too.  Apnea causes you to stop breathing in the night and your body goes into stress mode and releases hormones like cortisol.  Then you wake up tired and will seek out high sugar and fat food to boost your energy level.  Good luck.

Good idea to get your thyroid checked!

If you do a search for Juvenation member "C," she's a registered dietitian and has kindly offered to do free online nutrition consults for our community. Also, she recommended the site www.sparkpeople.com to me which was very helpful in losing 27 lbs last year.

With T1, I found PATIENCE extremely important in my weight loss b/c I felt like I lost more slowly from sometimes treating lows after exercise, etc, etc. But, it was worth it! I know you have more to go than I did, but hopefully once you get started, you'll feel better and better!

Hey, Kris!

I'm glad to see you on here and using Juvenation. Weight loss can be difficult, but I'd be happy to work with you on it. It will be slow and a long journey, but together we can make it a simple task. Make sure you keep your diabetes doctor in the loop about things you are working on (whether with me or someone else or on your own) so they can help you with adjusting your d-care to fit your new lifestyle.

Jenna also had great advice about getting your thyroid checked as well as for sleep apnea. These are things that can make weight loss difficult (but not impossible!). 

Feel free to send me a message on here or email me at Cas.RD.LD@gmail.com

Good luck and please keep in touch with us to let us know what we can do to help you :o)

Well I saw my new dietitian today.  She started me on a weight loss plan that consists of 90g carbs a day (will vary from day to day but goal is 90g average) and between 1400-1500 calories.  I lost another 2 lbs so I am down 4 lbs now.  I am so thrilled that I can do this.  I was losing hope but I got it back now.

Way to go Kris!  Weight loss is so tricky:  it doesn't seem too hard to stick to a plan in the beginning, but once the motivation starts wavering, then it really gets tough!  Just know that we are all here to help in whatever way we can!  I think you're already off to a great start by posting your small steps!

www.fitorbit.com is great!

Hello Kris,

I gained about 20 lbs after starting the pump.  My biggest help losing those pounds was switching from an "old school" scale to a digital scale.   This helps manange the carbs you eat.  You would be suprised how changing from 2 ounces of chips to 1.5 ounces helps over the long haul.  I remeber with my old scale, it was convient to let the dial go to the round numbers but I found that was often too much.  Every little bit helps.  Good luck and good health.

Jason

I agree with Jason...changing little things in what you eat can make a big difference. I measure pretty much everything I eat. For breakfast, I measure the serving size of the cereal I'm eating, the amount of milk I'm putting in, etc. For lunch, I measure the amount of baked chips off the serving size (ex.:  34 baked cheetos=120 calories).

Measuring just helps to make sure you don't eat way over the portion size you should be. Good luck!!

Congratulations on getting off to such a good start! 

If you have a smart phone it's really great to get an app like Track 3 diabetes (costs $6)  or Lose It! (free).  I just started using Track 3 and my calories were okay but I was shocked to see I was eating 200g of carb a day!    

Another trick is to hide that nasty junk food away, you know, the bags of chips and cheezies that you grab for a snack at night!  I used to leave the bag on top of the fridge, then I started putting it away in a cupboard.  I know I'm the one who has bought the stuff, but just hiding it away helps me to forget it's in the house at all!  Also, if I do decide to have some of it, I measure out a portion in a bowl and hide the rest back in the cupboard.  Eating junk food straight out of the package is the worst!

[quote user="Nads"]

Another trick is to hide that nasty junk food away, you know, the bags of chips and cheezies that you grab for a snack at night!  I used to leave the bag on top of the fridge, then I started putting it away in a cupboard.  I know I'm the one who has bought the stuff, but just hiding it away helps me to forget it's in the house at all!  Also, if I do decide to have some of it, I measure out a portion in a bowl and hide the rest back in the cupboard.  Eating junk food straight out of the package is the worst!

[/quote]

I know C may chastise me for this, but I cut complex carbs (breads, cheese, milk) out of my diet for the most part and I've had very good results. Totally cutting something doesn't work for everyone, but like Nads said, definitely get rid of junk food and things that are just processed carbs and chemicals.

Aside from what you eat, a big part is how much you eat. I've pretty much cut the portion I consume in half and have had good results both physically and at the gym.

CHASTISE CHASTISE CHASTISE!

kidding. I just have my professional opinions :D

I find substitutions work for me. I can't give up chips (I love crunchy food) so I switched to CheeCha Puffs. I like them better than chips. They have all the great chip flavours and 2 cups is less than 100 calories and only 1 carb unit (around 15g). If you google them on their site it tells you where you can get them in the states (I'm Canadian- here you can buy them at Shoppers or Bulk Barn). They're definately a healthy and low cal/carb choice.

I eat no sugar added jell-o with light whipped cream for a sweet treat. It's so good it doesn't taste like a diet snack but it's no carbs and 20 calories for an entire box. I also only eat Source yogurt. They have dessert flavours of cappucino and caramel and chocolate raspberry and the individual servings are only 35 calories and 6g of carbs. Plus their french vanilla is the best. Russell Stover no sugar added granola bars (comes in apple cinnamon, cinnamon, blueberry flavours) are only 100 calories and 12g of carbs. Florida's Natural Nuggets and Sour Nuggets are DELICIOUS and one package is 50 calories and 13g of carbs.

If you want chocolate you have to use portion control. I love chocolate so I have a mini reese cup, or a Russell Stover no sugar added mint chocolate every day.

I love junk food so if you're like me and can't give it up these are some great options. Ha ha, my mom gives me a hard time cuz instead of cutting back on junk food I just found better kinds I can (and do!) still eat every day.

A planned exercise routine is great for losing weight but just becoming generally more active will make a huge difference too. Walk everywhere you can. Instead of going to a movie next time you go out with friends go bowling or shoot pool or play darts. If you have kids in your life play with them. Trying to keep up with my nieces is more intense than most work outs. I like to play Just Dance on the Wii for fun and exercise. Basically anything where you are up and moving around burns calories.

Also, if you're going to be doing an exercise routine make sure to include strength training. Most women don't think to work with weights but muscle burns calories even while you sleep. You don't even need to go above 10 pound weights. You won't gain bulk and it makes a huge impact on your weight loss.

Also, I agree to get your thyroid checked. If you're hypothyroid it will make it harder to lose weight. And all you have to do for hypothyroid is take one pill a day.

Thanks everyone for the great support and tips.  I greatly appreciate them.  And yes, I do have hypothyroidism.  I been on medication for many years for it and get it checked frequently.  I had it checked the end of December and I was in the higher end of the normal range.