A school denies a little boy from having his D. A. D in school

A  school denies a student from having his diabetic alert dog in school. I have included a link so you can read the story. I think this story is sad. I hope that they can work out a policy that allows the diabetic alert dog in school with him.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/21150893/detail.html

That's so sad! Maybe I should get one of those! lol. I don't think I would need one though. One of my teachers husband is diabetic so she knows when someones sugar drops.

That is such a sad story.  Again, another instance of lack of education and flexibility.  If only the school district could put themselves in our shoes, maybe then they would see how much the support of service dogs and pumps means to people with diabetes.  And what about the law?!  It definitely isn't legal for a public school to prohibit registered service dogs from entering their doors!  I hope they wake up soon and realize their illogical behavior. 

And that my friends is the sweet smell of a lawsuit heading their way.

I hope they do get sued and lose! How do they expect a 6 year old to take care of himself alone at school all day.

And... I'm pretty sure that all of us forget when we have to check or BG I'm sure a 6 year old has a harder time then we do to remember to check.

I read the article and was wondering now if the school had any valid reasons for not allowing the D.A.D. in school. I mean it might be seen as odd and make other kids want dogs too, but I do wonder if they have a valid reason. Depending on how the law is written the school may have a loophole out of it. I would hope not and hope this goes through and a resolution is made.

WOW! People are so ridiculous and unaware of the severity of diabetes especially in these little ones! I can't tell when CJ drops low most of the time. I have considered getting her a D.A.D for this reason. This story is so sad and maddening all at the same time!!

[quote user="Courtney"]

I hope they do get sued and lose! How do they expect a 6 year old to take care of himself alone at school all day.

[/quote]

Not to play devil's advocate or be an a$$hole, but is the dog supposed to bolus for the kid or something? I understand a dog for the seeing impaired etc....but do Diabetics really need one? I don't much understand the concept of a diabetic assistance dog or whatever it's called.

"Ruh roh, Raggy! Check your glucose!"

Pat the article talks about the dog being able to sense or smell when the sugar on the boy is either low or high and give warning to prevent any hypo/hyperglycemic reactions.

I wonder more though about kids who have allergies and how a dog would affect them.

These little kids can't tell when they go low and alot of the times there are no symptoms. My daughter looks the same at 30 as she does at 130. After a year and a half we are finally being able to see symptoms of highs but not lows yet. It is very scary and yes I have strongly considered a D.A.D. for my 4 year old. No it wouldn't take care of bolusing or checking blood sugars. Someone would still have to do this for that little boy, and schools are very funny about all of this stuff. The school my kids go to are so afraid of something happening to my daughter on their watch they say dumb things (like suggesting a heart monitor?) and they just don't get it.  I am ridiculously concerned about her being in kindergarten next fall! They have 2 other T1's but they are older and do know their symptoms and can care for themselves for the most part. These schools aren't used to having these little ones and I think they need an education in diabetes. As far as thes dogs, they can "smell" out lows in people and they have saved many peoples lives! In little kids it might just be the parents saving grace!!

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

Not to play devil's advocate or be an a$hole, but is the dog supposed to bolus for the kid or something? I understand a dog for the seeing impaired etc....but do Diabetics really need one? I don't much understand the concept of a diabetic assistance dog or whatever it's called.

[/quote]

Pat, this is why we don't hang out! You always have to have something to say to my replies! haha

The boy is 6! Not 20 or 23 like us, he doesn't understand the feelings that he gets when high or low, that's what the dog is for!

Isn't Pat in his thrities or forties?? :-p

Whoops, thirties not thrities.

Sure, call me out :P

No i'm 23, but think whatever. I'm apathetic about my age

Pat, you need to take a joke :) Calm down tiger.

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

Not to play devil's advocate or be an a$hole, but is the dog supposed to bolus for the kid or something? I understand a dog for the seeing impaired etc....but do Diabetics really need one? I don't much understand the concept of a diabetic assistance dog or whatever it's called.

[/quote]

No actually the sog makes a noise when he detects the childs blood sugar is low... And that comment u made was it really nessessary?

That is what Pat does.

[quote user="Brian Q."]

That is what Pat does.

[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better (or more politely :o) ). I'm sorry if some people don't get my sense of humor (it's called sarcasm/cynicism/snark and is possessed by many on the "Internet"), but yes I asked an honest question as to why someone would want a 'diabetic aid dog' or whatever and then added snark.

I agree with Pat. Is the dog really needed?

I'd like to point out that at the age of 6, I had been in grade 1 for two months before I was diagnosed with diabetes.

At the age of 6, I knew at 10am everyday(even tho recess was at 1030am) I had to get up from my desk and eat my snack. My bitch of a teacher put an egg timer on my desk so I wouldn't forget, every morning once she refused to let me wear a watch with a timer my mom got me...but I still knew at 10am I had to have that snack. I knew I wasn't allowed to wait until recess for it like the other kids did. All that after only being diagnosed a month before I started going back to class for a full day. This kid has obviously been diagnosed longer.

I knew that if I wasn't feeling right in ANYWAY, to go talk to my teacher, she would help me test my blood sugar and I had an emergency package of snacks in my cubby for lows. My mom also met with my teacher, the nurse(here we have district nurses. they show up to each school for a day once every two weeks or so and when it's time for shots), and the principal. They were told what to look for, what to do, etc etc.

My brother went to the same school for two years, and he knew if I came crying to him that I felt sick(which i often did because I was a "brothers little girl" since my dad wasn't around and adults terrified me for the most part) the first thing he had to do was test me. So I was taught to look for him or my teacher or go straight to the office...whichever was closer, if I felt ill in anyway.

I'm not saying I didn't have my problems starting out, but I'm still here aren't I? I never went into a coma or came close to it. I did it without the pump, and without a shot of insulin at lunch(breakfast, dinner, bedtime only) until I was 13years old. I think this kid can do it..just give him a fucking chance!

Kids are babied these days and the fact this family replies on an animal to deal with their diabetic child makes me sick. I can see the bonus in having a pet that can help you, but I see no reason to reply on it in any way, especially in everyday life unless you are a senior living alone.

I can't really feel the school is at blame for this. If he were blind or had a second condition/a disability, I think it would be a different story.

I survived without one and the people diganosed before they came up with this crap survived without one. Why can't this kid?