A1c related to emotions?

I have been a diabetic for 19 years and have always made a conscious effort to exercise, and eat right to keep healthy.  My a1c readings about 3-5 years ago were 5.5-6.0 consistantly.  

Then I moved to Columbus Ohio, from my home town, for a new job.  Its great down here, but for some reason my blood sugars have been not so good.  I still make an effort to work out or run or mountain bike when I can, but ever since moving here, my a1c has steadily risen.  Last visit to the endocrinologist, my a1c was 8.2, the time before that it was 7.4, and even before that, it was 7.2. 

Quality of life is different for me since moving down here, and I suspect that maybe it has something to do with my family and friends not being in the area. 

I have recently ordered a pump and will be switching to a pump for the first time ever, with hopes to work hard to get it back down, but the thought of my blood sugars being somewhat abnormal lately due to not being completely happy, has crossed my mind.

Any thoughts or comments?

I can see that the two could be related.  Stress of any kind can wreak havoc on your blood sugar level, for sure.  Did your endo have any ideas as to why your A1C might be rising?  Do you notice higher numbers when you're testing, or does this seem to come out of nowhere? 

I agree, stress, change, etc...they do go hand in hand. I have a question, when did you move to Ohio? Since your sugar has been high for an unusual amount of time, does your doctor adjust your insulin to carb ratio..or the type of insulin. If youre sugar is high, even though you are stressed, as long as you are covering your carbs with the correct amount of insulin, the numbers should be going down - thats if your endo is adjusting. My husband and son both have high stress and before the insulin pump, well, even on it, we fax their #s to their doc when they are out of whack......and there is no illness, unusual situation, etc....I can tell u that the pump will help so much. Youll have more control, especially in times like this. Its amazing! My son is ADHD and my husband is Bipolar, so when they have mood swings or something, we follow docs orders to keep sugar down.....what pump did u order. The thing about diabetes that sucks is EVERYTHING effects it, so u have to constantly figure out what the trigger is.

Also, what insulin are u on....how many shots.....do u also take levimir for 24 hr coverage? Just wondering.

Thanks and hope all goes well with you  :)

Joy

They're usually fine, but occasionally I have periods of high blood sugars, for a couple days.  I think I'm insulin resistant during this period.  One evening, a couple of weeks ago, my blood sugar was 358 before I ate dinner, which was just rice vegetables and oven baked chicken.  I would say the total carb intake was 45 grams max.  I covered it according to my scale the doctor wanted me to use, and 1 unit per 15 carbs. I tested about 3 hours later, and it was 304.  At that point, I took some humalog according to my scale and then an extra 2 units as well.  I ended up falling asleep, and when I woke up the next morning to test, it was at 110.  They were back to normal range at that point.

My job is relatively fast paced, and I do believe the stress of my job has a major effect on blood sugars.  The insulin resistance is alarming, but it goes away by the next day.  I've had instances like this quite a bit.

Do you follow the rule, after a bottle is open - throw it away after 30 days? At first I thought that was just a general rule and it seemed like such a waste.....but I swear it makes a difference at times. Ive had some lots of humalog that Ive gone 35-40 days and my husbands sugar would not go down, even on plain corrections and no food but fluids. Using a new bottle brought complete different results. It would correct his sugar within an hour or so....maybe not perfect, but at least 100mg lower. Same with our son. They were both using humalog and levimir...sometimes going over 30 days was no big deal....but I have a calendar now only for when bottles are opened. Sounds like a bit much I know.

Another thing that really messes with my sons sugar is processed foods. Even if its carb free.

I use pens currently.  Humalog and Lantus.  One humalog pen lasts probably 2 weeks (I haven't timed it, so don't quote me on that.  heh)

[quote user="Dave"]

They're usually fine, but occasionally I have periods of high blood sugars, for a couple days.  I think I'm insulin resistant during this period.  One evening, a couple of weeks ago, my blood sugar was 358 before I ate dinner, which was just rice vegetables and oven baked chicken.  I would say the total carb intake was 45 grams max.  I covered it according to my scale the doctor wanted me to use, and 1 unit per 15 carbs. I tested about 3 hours later, and it was 304.  At that point, I took some humalog according to my scale and then an extra 2 units as well.  I ended up falling asleep, and when I woke up the next morning to test, it was at 110.  They were back to normal range at that point.

My job is relatively fast paced, and I do believe the stress of my job has a major effect on blood sugars.  The insulin resistance is alarming, but it goes away by the next day.  I've had instances like this quite a bit.

[/quote]

I also seem to be greatly affected by stress, even when I don't realize that I'm stressed.  Do you feel bloated after eating or sick in the morning?  I have gastroparesis and my blood sugars will do things like that a lot, but when there's no food in my stomach the insulin usually works better.  Good luck:)

When I get stressed or down in the dumps....I tend to go high, which makes me really grumpy and makes me just want to sleep.  With the help of my husband, I try to get out and get fresh air and take a walk or play with my two step daughters in the back yard....that makes me happy again and helps to bring my numbers down:)