A1c

I've had Type 1 diabetes for almost 2 years now and I am still a little unsure as to what A1c actually means and how it's calculated.  My last A1c was 9.0 and it's been high the past couple of vists but i'm not sure how to get it down to below 7 like it should be.  Anyone have and explanations and/or tips?

Your Aic is kinda like the forest and your daily blood sugar numbers are like the trees.  Your A1c gives you an idea of what your bg numbers have been over a 3 month period.

Sugar attaches to hemoglobin(blood cells) and forms your A1c.  If you have had lots of high readings your A1c will be higher.

The best way to keep a low A1c is to keep your dailly bg numbers within range.  Exercise, eat well  and drink water.  However, sometimes we don't know why bg numbers run high.

Kim

if you like to read check here    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hba1c

cheers!

[quote user="Courtney"]

I've had Type 1 diabetes for almost 2 years now and I am still a little unsure as to what A1c actually means and how it's calculated.  My last A1c was 9.0 and it's been high the past couple of vists but i'm not sure how to get it down to below 7 like it should be.  Anyone have and explanations and/or tips?

[/quote]

You might let people know how you control your bs ie: shots or pump. I also have only been dx'ed about a year and a half. I use shots and my last a1c was 6.8. I can tell you how I do it, just remember we are all different. Looked at your profile talk about different. I am a 53, soon to be 54 year old man living in Southern California. Don't think we could be more different. LOL More than willing help if I can. Oh, a1c your blood get sticky with more sugar, that causes the high numbers it's a %

If your daily numbers look fairly good but your a1c is high, so may be having highs at times you aren't testing, like between meals or overnight.