Accumulation of Miles on a Bicycle

I have been Type 1 since I was 10 years old, and I'm 76 now. About 30 years ago I started riding a bicycle, and I also started keeping track of miles ridden. In 2008 my mileage accumulation reached 100,000 miles. The last several years have been at the rate of 2,000-3,000 miles per year. Peak year was 1991, when I rode 10,000 miles. I have used an insulin pump for 13.5 years, and before that it was MDI. Figuring out how to adjust insulin for this exercise took lots of experimenting, and of course adjusting with a pump was a lot different from adjusting with MDI.

Tom,

The comments about your riding encouraged me, I have been a competitve mountain bike racer until about two and a half years ago, when I started feeling bad(I thought it was the sleep apnea) I wish we would have done an A1c back then.  I am now back in control of my blood sugar(for now), and I am back on the mountain bike 3-4 times a week.  I am almost back to race ready and 40 pounds lighter, next season I am hoping to rejoin the series.  Thanks for letting us in on your !00,000 mile milestone.  I am around 10,000 now on a mountain bike and recently bought a road bike and have hit the 2000 mile mark with it.

Michael

i love to mountain bike, is their anyway 2 build up my leg strength to help me do better

More protein, and just keep pedaling.  I improved dramatically when I began crosstraining on a road bike and on a single speed mountain bike, both push you to constantly pedal and the single speed makes you think ahead to the climbs so that you are making the right speed and body posture to drive ov er the crest of the hill.

ill try that the next time i ride my bike