Adoption

Hi! Okay random question, I’m nowhere near ready to have kids but know with absolute certainty that I want to have kids someday. I came across an article from a young lady who said she was told she would be unable to adopt if she developed type 1 diabetes. Does anyone know if that’s true?

That actually sucks if true

It can be great and helpful to seek advice from forums like this, but there are times when it’s best to get a professional consult. I suggest you make an appointment with an adoption agency or an attorney who handles adoptions to see what the rules and regs are now. A long time ago I heard that was true, but even so things have changed. And if perhaps the prospective parent must show some sort of “medical fitness” (I’m just theorizing) you can find out what you need to do to prepare.
Wishing you the best!

Absolutely untrue. I have had type 1 diabetes for 33 years, and my husband and I have adopted two wonderful children. My doctor had to write “to whom it may concern” letter vouching that I was in good health and the diabetes was well controlled. That was 1994. Good luck!

1 Like

I can’t imagine this can be true. But I do know that I follow a wonderful family on Instagram. Mom is Type 1 and she adopted 2 children (1 of which is also type 1). Her name is Keary and her IG is @graceandsalt. She’s a very open person and perhaps you can gain some insight from her.

1 Like

Untrue. That would be discriminatory.

That’s awesome! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile: