Advice for an Adventurous Lifestyle

Hi,

I'm kind of new to this but I've been looking for some decent advice. I am hoping to have a life full of adventure and I always worry that I allow my diabetes to limit me or, even, occasionally, use it as a crutch. I recently spent nearly four months in Morocco studying Barbary macaques (a type of monkey). My goals for my career and my life are to become a primatologist and, hopefully, spend a decent amount of time studying primates in the wild. Of course, most primates live in hot, tropical areas. Really, Morocco was a good introduction to me - we lived in a small town in an apartment with all the basic necessities (shower, hot running water, kitchen, refrigeration, internet, etc), there was a great variety of food and while, physically, the work was strenuous as we were hiking following the monkeys for about ten hours each day, I never really felt like I had to be terribly concerned for the condition of my diabetes. I use an insulin pump, which allowed for me to control my blood sugar quite well, my diet was not limited, and we worked in a temperate climate in the Middle Atlas Mountains so that it was cool and comfortable most days (although it often got very cold). My concerns, now, is for what I hope to achieve next. I recently applied and had an interview for a 6 month research assistant position in the Salonga National Park of the Democratic Republic of Congo to work with bonobos (a close relative to chimpanzees). This is a tropical forest, which means it is hot and humid. There is refrigeration for supplies but this is a very minimalist life-style. We sleep in tents at this campsite, I'm pretty sure hot showers are out of the question, I haven't asked about toilets (but I've dealt with using "nature's toilet" before), the diet consists almost entirely of fish and rice, internet is limited, and to get to the campsite I would have to fly into the big town of Kinshasa, take another smaller plane to a village closer to our campsite, and then hike half a day through the forest to the actual campsite. Of course, the daily routine will be fairly similar to what it was in Morocco (follow the primates all day) which is fine. I have spoken with my doctors and they firmly believe that I am capable of doing this and they have the same basic concerns as I do. They also tell me that the pump may not be practical given the level of humidity and I am hesitant about going if I have to switch back to injections. I guess, really what I am getting at, is I would like to know if anyone on here as successfully maintained a lifestyle similar to this or had experiences like this Congo one before. I firmly believe in myself and my capabilities but it would be nice to know that other diabetics have done this before and how. Please, please, please, help me out with some advice on this. Thanks.

Hi,
I’m curious how this has worked out for you? If you’re still on here, can you update us?