Advice Needed!

I will soon be getting the Medtronic Paradigm Revel, which has CGM too. It will be my first pump ever, and while I am going to pre-pump training, I was just wondering if there were any tips out there for a new pumper?

get the sticky wipes to help keep the sites on. my biggest problem when i tried the pump was having the sites come out while i was sleeping. also, keep the tubing tucked in, even if it means taping it. i also had the tubing get caught and the sites pulled out a number of times because i didn't notice the tubing had slipped out from between my body and my pant waist.. =(

Do the on-line pump training so you are familar with the pump.

blbrocky,

What is the online pump training?

[quote user="Nicole"]

What is the online pump training?

[/quote]

medtronics has a pump school online.  it's worth a look.    it's here

https://pumpschool.minimed.com/index.tpl

Ah, okay!!

Thanks  for posting the link Sir...

I agree about getting something to help the site stick to you.  I have skin-tac (in a bottle), and IV dressings (these came with my pump supplies).  Either will work, but I like the skin-tac because I don't have to have a plasticy looking thing on my skin around the site.

I just use it when I see the edges of the site starting to come up.

I found that the Novaform Elite Memory Mattress, which is like a really comfortable form fitting mattress you put on the top of your mattress, works great to alleviate issues with the pump coming off while sleeping.  It also helps stop the feeling of the pump on you when you roll back and forth on the mattress because it just molds around the pump. Note that I am a tubeless pump user. 

I'm surprised to hear that some of you have problems with sites coming off and having to use sticky products to keep them on?

Which pumps are you guys using?

The only time I ever had any issues with my pump sites not sticking is if I was swimming a lot or from suntan lotions. But it doesn't happen very often at all!

[quote user="Courtney"]

I'm surprised to hear that some of you have problems with sites coming off and having to use sticky products to keep them on?

[/quote]

I haven't had one come off yet, but I've had the edges come up enough to:

A. Look ugly.

B. Make me worry that I'll somehow rip the rest of it off now that bumping it could mean pulling/pushing from underneath the adhesive part.

It's worse if it's in an area where my the waistband of my pants or skirt might brush it.  I have almost no issues in more undisturbed areas like, say, my upper stomach.

Oh, but it's an Animas Ping and I use the insert 30s.

I use the ping as well, the inset 30s. I guess that makes sense. I wear mine on the upper part of my stomach so the only thing touching it would be my shirt. I also don't really worry about it coming off since I usually have a hard time getting them off my skin even when they are starting to come off by themselves. My dad uses that IV prep stuff every time, I just think that stuff makes it worse.

I was using the ping and until i got the skin-tac wipes to use before putting the insert on, my sites came off too easy. and everytime the tubing got tugged on, it would pull the edges up, which would eventually lead to the site coming out. i only wore my sites on my lower back because i couldn't handle them anywhere else on my body. thighs are too muscular, stomach was too awkward, arm would've been a pain in the arse, the arse was the worst for sites coming out. i would scratch them off in my sleep if they were below my pant waist.

I use a MiniMed, and I rarely ever have trouble with sites pulling off. I use an IV prep wipe first, but I rarely have any trouble, and it isn't too hard to pull off when I go to change it. I just peel up around all the edges then give it a swift yank, lol. The only time I ever had trouble was when I changed my site, then got it wet right away, it kind of "floated" off. Always change your sites after you shower, or the night before you plan on swimming somewhere to give it time to really stick to you.

The hardest thing for me when I first started was sleeping with it. I was recommended to get pajamas with a pocket. That totally didn't work for me, I found it very uncomfortable. I have a little pouch thing my pump fits into attached to a cord I wear around my neck. Mostly keeps me from pushing my pump out of bed. I just let it do it's thing next to me. Once in a great while I wake up with tubing wrapped around me, lol, but that's not a big deal.

Good Luck! :)

Elizabeth,

what kind of skin-tac do you use? How does it work?

I have some trouble occasionally with the edges of the tape coming up and annoying me.

[quote user="LeahMarie"]

Elizabeth,

what kind of skin-tac do you use? How does it work?

I have some trouble occasionally with the edges of the tape coming up and annoying me.

[/quote]

This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LZUWP6/ref=oss_product

It looks pricy, but it's a good sized bottle and a little of this stuff goes a long way.  There's a little spongy swab attached to the inside of the cap, and you just touch or rub your skin with it, let it dry, and push the edge back down.  Especially if it's just an edge that's starting to peel, I've found it works best to press the swab against the inside of the mouth of the bottle to get it as "dry" as possible first, or you end up with too much.  I haven't had an edge come back up, yet!