Anthony

my name is amy and my son anthony was 16 yrs old when he died of a diabetic coma on march 25 and in his memory we had money donated to this cause i am real big on juv diabetes he had it since he was 16 months old on 4 shots a day plus lantus. he was a brittle diabetic but now he is gone although i know he is with god and still in my heart. if any parents went through the same thing please contact me i have support from my family but they really do not understand havin a child die especially after 16 years and that goes for anything if any one needs support or a friend i am here bless all the juvinile diabetics

As a parent of a diabetic child my heart breaks reading about you. I have never lost a child but my mother did before I was born. I wish you all the best. This is a burden no one should have to bear.

Being a parent of a T1D I can only imagine the grief that you must be dealing with. I am also a diabetic myself for 20 years. I have never lost a child, it brings me to tears just imagining that pain.  I lost my nephew at the age of 5 days. He was born with a major defect in his heart and died during surgery. But losing your son at 16 I really can't even begin to imagine. There is always someone here to lend an ear. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Amy,

I am so sorry to here about your son Anthony and I hope that you can find some support here on Juvenation. We are all here for you whenever you need!

Gina

My heart goes out to you. I am very sorry for your loss. There is a group here on Juvenation (under the "groups" tab) called "Loss of a Loved One". You can join that group and find support from others who have lost someone to diabetes.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you through your rough time. Juvenation has been there for me whenever I need them, and even when I thought I didn't. We are very glad you found us here.  :o)

<3

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. As much as T1's can generally lead a "normal" life, I think we should all pause once in a while to be thankful we are here.

Amy,

I am so sorry for your loss.  Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  God bless you for thinking about others in this time and wanting to help anyone else.

Hello, Amy.  My friend Katie spotted your post and asked me to come here and introduce myself.  My name is Michelle and my amazing son, Jesse, died on February 3rd at the age of 13 - unexpectedly - due to his type 1 diabetes just shy of his 10th year with the disease.  

You are not alone out here, Amy, as the Nicholsons lost their amazing son, Trent, on the very day you lost your Anthony - he was 14.  We are very close and talk frequently because after all - we've stood - and currently stand  - in each other's shoes.

So many of us out here and in my heart I believe because of Jesse's loud voice in the diabetes world in his passing it has raised awareness that once again insulin is not a cure and it has brought us together to grieve in a way that only each other can truly understand.

My email is curejesse@gmail.com.  I am here anytime, Amy, and am truly sorry to hear about Anthony.  While I know your pain is always excruciating when it is there, I hope you are finding moments of peace.

Best,

Michelle Page Alswager

Hi Amy,

My name is Ardy Johnson and I have been a volunteer with JDRF since my son was diagnosed at the age of 11.  As a “mom” let me say you are living every mother’s worse nightmare.   I am so sorry for you loss, I know I can’t begin to really feel what you are going through…but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ardy

Hello Amy

My name is Heather. First let me say how sorry I am to hear of your loss. I too lost my son to Diabetes in January this year, my little boy Rocco had just celebrated his 1st Birthday.

He was diagnosed DKA on Sunday 24th 4am and passed away in my arms on Monday 25th.  I know the pain you are feeling and it breaks my heart.

I too have found comfort and Peace in knowing that our precious little boy is safe in the arms of Jesus. If it wasnt for my Faith I really dont know were I would be today. I have attended a local Grief Share group which I did find helpful. It sounds strange but when you talk to other people who have experienced the loss of a loved one its kind of comforting to know that you are not alone and that they really do know how your feeling.

To get through this journey I have become more involved with JDRF. We are on a mission to get the awareness out there to Parents about Juvenile Diabetes and what the symptoms are.

We have no family history of Diabetes so we were not aware of what to look for, even the doctors Mis-Diagnosed him on Saturday morning at 8am, telling me he had a virus, wasting precious time. So its not just the Parents who need to be aware its our Doctors, Peadritians, Nurses and Teachers.

I just want to let you know that I completely understand how you are felling. Im living it with you everyday.  If ever you need to talk, I am here for you.

God Bless you

Heather

It sure is sad that so many families have had to deal with the loss of a child due to diabetes.   I hope you all have brighter days ahead. 

Amy, I'm really sorry to hear about Anthony. 

I'm so sorry you had to have this happen to you.  It happened to me too.  I wouldn't wish it on my worstest enemy. 

My son, Nick, died in his sleep on June 24, 2001 at the age of 14.  He had diabetes like me and some other development/medical problems.  But he was very healthy.  It wasn't DKA.  Some theorize low BS but I'm not so sure.  We'll never know and it doesn't really matter anyway.

Like Heather I went to a grief class at a local church.  It helped some.  Just remember you are not alone.  You may not have anyone in you local circle of friends or family who has had a child die, but many of us have.  It still hurts after 9 years.  I'm choking up typing this.  I greived and felt really bad for a while, but then realized that Nick in no way shape or form would want me to be unhappy because of him.  He loved me and the family and his friends and life too much.  I think about him at least once an hour, usually more, so he is still lives with me in my broken heart. 

I read somewhere that our loved one is not any closer to us when we're sad and depressed than when we are happy.  So don't beat yourself up and think you are disrespecting Anthony if you're not sad.  Greive, but don't let it ruin your life, that's my advice.  I'm sure Anthony would want you to be happy.

Take care of yourself.  I hope you find Peace.  Please PM me if you want to chat.

P E A C E