Anyone on Lovonox &/or Labetolol while pregnant?

Hi everyone!

First, I'd like to apologize yet again for my long absence from the forum...So much has been happening with my father passing away, my sister moving out of state just before the end of my pregnancy term, with me being borderline with preeclampsia, and then my blood sugars having absolutely no pattern what-so-ever during this pregnancy.  I have been in and out of the hospital with all kinds of tests and lab work, seeing my OB/Endo (he is specialized in both, making it really convenient!) once a week, a Renal Nephrologist, and a Retinapothist,  I just have not been able to catch up with discussions or even my pregnancy blog (only of which I am now getting back to updating).  

Anyway, since my last visit from the Renal Nephrologist while I was in the hospital last week, I was started on Labetolol, which is a beta blocker, to not only help keep my blood pressures lowered, but more so to protect my kidneys since I have been spilling high amounts of protein in my urine starting from the end of my 2nd trimester.  I am also using Lovonox, a blood thinner, due to the higher risks of getting blood clots since I am spilling that much protein.  

Since I  have started on both of these medications, my sugars will be normal at bedtime (between 70 - 120), but by 1:00am, they will spike up between 140 - 190.  I will give a bolus to correct for this spike, but by 3:00am, they will have spiked yet again to between 200-300!)  I will again, give another correction bolus for this large spike, but when I wake up in the morning and check (usually between 6:30 - 9:00a) my sugars will only have gone down somewhere between 160 - 200 or not at all.  However, sometimes, if I go to bed with my sugars being less than 75, they will go up to between 100 - 115 by 1:00am and then bottom out between the 30's & 40's by 3:00am.  My OB/Endo has been stumped.  We have tried setting my basal rates, my insulin sensitivity, and active insulin up and down the scale.  We have also tried varying my snack carb ratios, debating whether I should eat snacks before bed or not, and whether or not I should bolus for my snack carbs before bed.  All have had random results.  

My question really is this:  Has anyone ever had to use any of these medications, the Lovonox &/or the Labetolol during pregnancy and have had similar results with them maybe affecting how your insulin or food carbs are absorbed?  My patterns have been so random and it's very frustrating.  I have been stumping my OB/Endo too.  He said to me that I must be a super sensitive & brittle diabetic because out of the 20-something years he's been practicing, he's never encountered such random & unexplainable blood sugars before.  It also doesn't make sense to him because I have been so consistent with checking my sugars at certain times, eating around the same times, and eating the same amount of carb portions each meal & snack.  So, even though I have been as consistent as I can be (probably the best I've ever been since being diagnosed with diabetes), my numbers are not being consistent.  

Any advice or personal experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.  I just want to know that I'm not some kind of freak accident of a T1 Diabetic.  This pregnancy is my first and with as difficult as it has been, makes me wonder if all other pregnancies after (should I want more children, because I'd at least like to have one more eventually) will be just as hard.  Not to mention, my medical bills are rapidly racking up there and I'm afraid to see what the total we'll owe on those will be. 

Thanks!

Hello. I am 6 months pregnant and have been on Labetol for close to 6 months. I was on something before I was pregnant but it was not baby safe.  I did go from a carb ration of 1 units per 8 carbs  to 1 unit for 4 carbs! My blood sugars got pretty unstable for a while but I just had to keep downloading my pump and working with my basil rate . carb ratio - the morning its 4 carbs per 1 unit and at night its 5, my insulin delivery time wnt from 6 hours to 3 hours (meaning how long it lasts in side of you whcih will affect your next bolus or your correction if you have taken some insulin within the last few hours and want to take more or think you should b/c you are high) and most importantly is the glycemic index on the food I eat. I can eat pasta and measure out the carbs and the insulin and it stays perfect but if I eat a McDonads hamburger that tells me they have 30 carbs and I measure out for that I am always high. I have started adding on fast foods and resaturant labels - I think they lie to make it seem healthier. Another good way is to use your dual bolus. If your eating something a little more fatty it takes longer to digest in your system so if you take all your insulin at the start of your meal you can be high at the end. This is all stuff that changed for me after starting labetol ( of course, it could just be the pregnancy affecting my body differently also)??. Anyways, hope some of the suggestions help.

Hi Hailey,

I was taking Lisinopril as an Ace Inhibitor before pregnancy and it was not safe for the baby.  But, they didn't start me on the Labetalol until the very end of my 2nd trimester.  But, I am starting to notice similar patterns as you are experiencing with having to use a lesser carb ratio in the morning than at night.  I had to change my insulin delivery from 4 hrs to 2.  I also noticed that now being on the Labetalol I am more sensitive to the carbs in high fatty foods such as meals from McDonald's.  

This has definitely been a roller coaster ride, but thank you so much for sharing your experience because it does help put me more at ease that I am not just crazy or something.

Congratulations with your pregnancy, btw!!!  :o)   Is this your first pregnancy?