Anything you miss?

I was diagnosed as an adult (32).  And while I miss a lot of things from life prior to diagnosis, I was wondering if there is any little thing that you miss from your life prior to diagnosis.  My little thing is Kool Aid.  I know there is sugar free Kool Aid now but not in the flavor of Lemon Lime (My favorite).  Like I said I know there are larger, more important things but I thought this is kind of a silly thing to throw out there.

[quote user="Jason"]

I was diagnosed as an adult (32).  And while I miss a lot of things from life prior to diagnosis, I was wondering if there is any little thing that you miss from your life prior to diagnosis.  My little thing is Kool Aid.  I know there is sugar free Kool Aid now but not in the flavor of Lemon Lime (My favorite).  Like I said I know there are larger, more important things but I thought this is kind of a silly thing to throw out there.

[/quote]

Yea, there is one little thing I miss. First I too was also dx'ed as an adult (52). The thing I miss the most is MY Frickin Life!!!!!! LOL My little thing list is so long. I miss Ben & Jerry's, See's candies ( I use to eat a whole pound or two to myself), eating grapes till I pooped like a goose lol,  yes I miss little things, Thanks.

Keith ~ I love Sees chocolate and still eat it.  I only get it once a year because we don't have any stores that sell it and I have to wait for my sister to bring it home at Christmas. 

For me being the parent of a T-1 its not watching the clock for what time she has to eat at. Which should I think change soon. I can kill one battery bar on my cell from just checking the time all day long.

I do miss not testing and being normal... but my life really hasn't changed since Dx

I am a worrying person always worrying about my sugar.So i miss not haviing to worry and just being normal,i dont like eating at certain times,i miss some candy and some sonic blast i loved them and now they have like 100 carbs so dont get that but i just miss my old life..I miss alot of things but there are some lol

i am normal. i miss nothing. :o)

I miss being able to just dig into food without first having to test my blood sugar, calculate carbs, and bolus accordingly.  Every so often, I'll forget and just start eating.  It usually hits me a bite or two into the meal and I'll say, "oh yeah, I'm diabetic..." and I'll stop eating to take care of stuff.  For some reason, my husband and friends think it's hilarious when I say this.

I agree, I miss just being able to eat without taking insulin or not eat and not have to worry about it. But I also agree my life hasn't changed since diagnosis, just have to take shots and be more attentive, careful.

C you are so not normal by many definitions...

But I agree with your statement. Everything can be eaten and done, in moderation. That is the key, moderation. If I want to eat a peanut butter and chocolate blizzard, I will. However, I don't do it often. Not for fear of the sugar, but the mass calories, I tend to think of calories and fat and weight gain, when it comes to the sweet yummy stuff. Not the fact that I need to bolus or take extra insulin.

LOL I say that often as well. It is really hard sometimes, especially when your out with the friends or family, then before you know it you're at Olive Garden and you suddenly realize that you kind of have to tend to yourself : p I've been there

I miss not having to look at something and figure out how many carbs are in it and how much I should bolus.  I miss not checking blood sugar.  I miss my brother pouring me a full cup of soda, instead of a quarter cup.  I miss going on stage without worrying if I'm high enough to not pass out in the middle of my dance.  Most of all, I miss sleeping in without feeling low or high afterward!!

I don't really remember life before D, and I don't know what it feels like to just ... eat w/o a though to the carbs.  But I think I'd be most happy to get rid of the underlying anxiety I have (will I go low over night? will I get complications? etc).

The freedom just to BE

[quote user="Brian Q."]

C you are so not normal by many definitions...

But I agree with your statement. Everything can be eaten and done, in moderation. That is the key, moderation. If I want to eat a peanut butter and chocolate blizzard, I will. However, I don't do it often. Not for fear of the sugar, but the mass calories, I tend to think of calories and fat and weight gain, when it comes to the sweet yummy stuff. Not the fact that I need to bolus or take extra insulin.

[/quote]

you will be punished.

Bring it.

HA

As a mom of a T1, I miss sleeping well throughout the night and not waking up in a panic wondering if my daughter is ok.  This worry has aged me so!!

Kim