Article

The attached article, based on a report from the American Heart Association, appeared in today’s Washington Post. The excerpt below may be of particular interest for consideration by those who take a very low carb approach (italics are mine).

“Some studies have found that very-low-carb diets can help with weight loss and improve certain markers of metabolic health, like blood sugar and triglyceride levels. But the heart association’s report noted that these improvements tend to be short-lasting, and that very-low-carb diets often cause an increase in LDL cholesterol levels, which can heighten the risk of heart disease.

2 Likes

Personally, my blood work and diabetes has flourished on a high carb, low fat, plant-based diet. I try to eat 65% carbs, 15% fat, 20% protein. I never understood the keto hype.

1 Like

The keto concept message me nervous, but apparently it works for some people.

1 Like

My LDL has always been low, even on a keto diet. So I think you have to consider this warning on an individual basis. And my triglycerides are also low on a keto diet. Thi seems to be doctors making a sweeping generalization. Remember doctors in the U.S. used to say eggs were bad for cholesterol. We moved to England around then and learned that only U.S. doctors were jumping to this conclusion, since proven erroneous. So I switched back to a daily egg and my cholesterol did not rise. It rose many years later, but by then they had been shown even in the U.S. not to be the cause.