Avascular Necrosis/Insulin Resistance

I was just recently diagnose with Avascular Necrosis. It is bone death in my hips and they are telling me it is from my Diabetes.

When I was first diagnosed, I had no problems. But, no one in my family has Diabetes. I got a rare strand of a virus and it attacked my pancreas. That's why I got Diabetes. Anyway, after my honeymoon phase, my body became insluin resistant. I would give a shot and a half hour later the insulin was untraceable in my blood stream. Because of that my blood sugars were constantly in the 700's and I lived in the hospital. Eventually, I went in to a Diabetic Coma...for TEN days and I flat lined twice during it. It was a miracle that I made it through it all.

Now it's two years later and find out that because of the lack of blood flow from being so sick, my hips were not recieving proper amounts of blood. I am only 19 and I have to have a complete hip replacement...

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, knows anything about hip replacements, or can offer some advice. Also, has anyone ever had problems with insulin resistancy?

Thanks!!

Lauryn,

im sorry that this is happening ta you. i dont know anyone that has had ta have a hip replacement. that sounds scarry.

i do how ever have an issue with insulin. ma endo that i had last thinks that ma body might be becoming immune ta insulin. im always high.

ba i hope you tha best of luck. keep me updadted. i wish i could say something helpful ba i cant really, cuzz i dono what i can do. if there is anything just let me know.

always,

jessarae

I'm so sorry you have to go through these problems with your hips! I swear, there always seem to be these diabetic complications that surprise you. When I got tendinitis a couple of years ago, the rheumatologist said I was at a higher risk b/c of the D. Great....

Do you mind my asking, how did you deal w/ the insulin resistance if you're in better control now? In the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, when I had horrible insulin resistance, I was taking about 50 units a day for basal, and using a 1:2 or 1:3 I:C ratio. It was so annoying, so I can imagine your frustration. Did you just have to really increase your doses?

Well when I first found out about it, no one knew what to do. I bounced around from doctor to doctor and finally found one who could help.

I was taking around 200 units a day between novalog and lantus. I was even on an insulin drip and my sugars wouldn't come down. They put me on the pump finally and I finally got under control. Novalog is the only insulin I can take right now.

But to be honest, I was really young when it all happened and my mom and dad were very involved. It really just came down to finding the right doctor though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.