Benefits of Juvenile Diabetes

My 5 year old brother is a Type 1 Diabetic and has been so for over a year.  ?I am compiling a list of "benefits" for having juvenile diabetes as part of my final exam in school.  So far, I have the following:

My dad and mom have each lost 15 pounds due to cutting out sugars in our family diet. We all eat much healthier.

My little brother is extremely independent.  Has been doing his fingersticks since the first week he came home.

He is also much more advanced at math.  He counts carbs and adds in his head.

Healthier lifestyle (exercise) and routine which we lacked. 

As a result of the above, he is much more confident.'

Can anyone come up with other benefits of juvenile diabetes??  Please help

I have been a diabetic since I am 17 months old and I am 30 years old now. I have always had to eat healthy and control my diet because if I didn't, I would have severe repercussions to deal with. This is the same if any non-diabetic individual did not follow a healthy diet each and every day. Eating healthily as a juvenile diabetic is not a "benefit", it is mandatory. This can also be said for any individual who wants to live a healthy life and long life.

A benefit to being a juvenile diabetic is balance. You have to balance medication and diet and lifestyle and emotions and sicknesses and stress and daily activities that most "non diabetic'" individuals don't have to think twice amount.

You have to be able to think on your toes. You have to be able to adapt at a moment's notice whena change in plans comes up. For example, everyone at work decides to go out to lunch. You had brought your lunch from home and already calculated your carbs and insulin for your lunch your brought. You decide to go out with your coworkers. Now you have to think quick about the carbs you may possibly eat and the difference in insulin you will have to take for your lunch out.

Having T1D has made me much more understanding of others who have chronic or progressive conditions. Because I know how I want to be treated, I have the respect and decorum to treat others that way. As many of this know - it would be much appreciated if we weren't so alienated (at times) for having a highly misunderstood condition.

me and my best friend only met because when i was diagnosed in 4th grade, he had it since 17 months old, he showed me the ropes of "diabetes at school". now we are inseperable.

Diabetes makes you a quick and creative problem solver.

It also makes you a good teacher since you have to answer people's questions, and sometimes correct their misinformation, about diabetes.  

It also makes you humble.  You have to let other people help when you have a low blood sugar or have some other diabetes issue you can't handle on your own.

Diabetes made me grow up so much faster than the other kids. I was diagnosed at 6 years old and now I'm 20 and not only have I noticed through the years, but people comment about it all the time. I don't remember being "normal" and not Diabetic either.

It makes me appreciate life and I truly believe it's made me such a strong independent person. The strength that I have and the same that I see in other Diabetics makes me inspired and motivated to do everything I can to find that cure for our disease.

I definitely agree what Jenna said in the above comment as well!!!

Sure Diabetes sucks and I would do anything to not have to deal with it, but I truly believe God wouldn't have given me this disease unless I could handle it. I also look at it as a way to impact other people's lives. For example, I met a girl at a dance event a few weeks ago that is newly diagnosed and have become extremely close with her and her mom because they found so much comfort in knowing that they weren't alone in everything Diabetes related.

Although it's not something I would tell a 5-year-old, I would say diabetes helped me appreciate my own mortality.  As a typical young adult I felt that time was on my side.  I had understood academically that death finds us all eventually, but after diagnosis I was faced with the reality that it could be sooner rather than later.  As a result, I feel I have been more focused and try to make my long term goals into short term, and the short term goals into reality.

Time is not on our side.  We need to figure out what's most important to us and do it now, while we have the opportunity.  This is true for everyone, T1D or not.  Diabetes just helped me to realize it earlier.

That's a great point Ebgineer.  I like my life and want to be around a long time, but as a young child learned that life is fragile.  I don't fear death.

I think the greatest impact I have seen is spiritually.  I doubt my relationship with God would be where it's at now w/o type 1.  There seems to be a lot more love and peace in my life despite everyday challenges.  Knowing and understanding that there is a God who loves you unconditionally really puts things into perspective.

Can definitely relate to the humility post too, good stuff!    

Jeff

I was diagnosed with T1D march of my senior year and I have had it for almost a year. One benefit is that you have juice boxes or snacks on you all the time! and you get to have food in class when no one else does.  

Nice 1 Chelsea4.  You can bring popcorn to class films too!

Honestly my heart attack and t1 diagnoses at 22 have made me laugh as i run circles around my friends while they struggle with the kind of crap they view as "hard". My 26 year old friend once said to me "i almost had a heart attack when my teacher took the test away" i laughed and simply thought "Man, this kid has no concept of reality or how to overcome obstacles like i do, thank God for my diseases"