Best first time pump?

I am meeting with my DE next week to discuss going on the pump and pump options.  Currently, I use novolog, lantus and symlin pens.  I am injecting novolog about 5 times a day symlin 3 times and lantus once....9 injections a day :(  I am still on a sliding scale since I only started using insulin a few months ago and have never counted carbs because do not know my carb to insulin ratio (I hope to learn that soon!)

My questions are.......

should I continue MDI or switch to the pump?

If pump, what is the best one for a first time pump user?

Thanks!!

Hi Jackie, I think that u should go on the pump it is alot better than being on shot' every day. I was DX at age 3 1/2 and want on the pump about 6 years later, when I was age 9 and I have loved it. The pump That I use is the Minimed Medtroonic, I have been on it for 5 years and I love it.

I just switched to the pump last month. Counting carbs is easier with it because it does most of the math for you..which is nice. Its up to you. I was on about 5-6 shots a day which made me want to switch. I have the mimimed revel. Super easy. but I've heard great things about animas and the omni pod too. Just do your research. I find its easier on the pump because I work and go to school full-time and like to go out and not have to worry about taking my lantus pen with me. message me if you have any more questions! Others will also offer great advice. This site is the reason why I decided to switch. I didn't even consider a pump until a few months ago.

I am just two weeks into pumping! I decided to go with the Animas One-Touch Ping. I was on 5-6 shots a day and my control was hit and miss...so far pumping is going great. It is a lot of work though to make the transition and learn the ins and outs of pumping, but even after two weeks I notice a big improvement and things keep getting easier!

As for carb counting, its a great tool to use and is something that you will need to learn should you decide to start pumping; there are a lot of good resources available, including information on this site.

Good luck.

i'm a first time user of the animas ping, and for me it has worked great, trust me you'll love the freedom, and so much less pain!

i think a good first time pump user should use an animas cause i got one when i was in the third grade. its simple to use and it dose your carb to insilin ratio for you and tells you how much to take it also has a feature where you can do a delay dose what that mean is if you eat 100 carbs and are afraid you will drop after your dosage you can break down the dosage and it will automaticly give it to you little by little. i think it is a good pump and has more great feature just ask me if you would like to know more =]]

Jackie, I have used a Minimed pump for 3 years, and it is great, but I recommend the Animas. Several friends are using the Animas and have told me much about it. It has nice features that the Minimed does not have. Animas and the Dexcom CGM are integrating into one unit later this year. If you want a good CGM along with a pump, that would be an excellent combination. I'm sure they will sell the Animas without the CGM too, if you prefer.

i switched from mdi after 11 years of it, honestly in my opinion, shots hurt less then putting in the site for any insulin pump, but i do feel that a pump improved my a1cs,  it gave me more flexibility, and a little freedom from my parents! 

I got the animas ping, and overall i love although i understand that people have been very happy with the metronic. 

Basically the remote sold me to the animas ping (pink!) :D goodluck!

i was diagnosed when i was 9years old in february and by august i was on the pump. i chose the medtronic minimed pump. i have been using this pump for the past 3 years. it is very easy to use and it was one of the best decisions i ever made.

ok so i read everyones post and they are all for the pump which im not gona lie it makes life a whole heck of alot easier but in some cases it can do more hard than help for instant in my case it made me lazier i stop checkin my BS and jst gave myself insulin based on wat i ate and stuff and im pretty sure ur a lot more responsible than iam so my personal option is to go for it.

We were told 6 months to a year before we could try Ri on a pump. We all had to know how to carb count and do mdi like pro's before they would consider a pump for her. That way if it ever broke we would know what to do and how to do it well.

My son is transitioning to the pump next week. We were given three choices, Animas, Medtronic and one other one I can't remember. Unfortunately, my son can't use the animas because the amt of insulin he requires is more than the Animas carries. He'd have to change the pump site every day as opposed to the medtronic, that holds more insulin, he'll only have to change the pump every three days. Just something to consider.

Jessica,

Our endo told us the same thing, that children typically don't go on the pump for 12-18 months. However, depending on the families ability to correct bg, knowledge of T1 as a whole, and the childs A1C, they can possibly go on earlier. My son was diagnosed in January of this year, and he's going on the pump next week. It's possible to get on it early, but you have to be in good control of the disease.

I agree with the doctors that a waiting period after diagnosis is necessary before starting to pump. Knowing all about basal/bolus management and carb counting will help so much during the beginning stages of pumping. There is so much to learn when pumping, and learning as much as possible before starting will make pumping less confusing.

During the waiting period you should study the pump manual. If you cannot get a manual, you might find a copied version online. For Minimed there is an excellent site where you can see a video about the pump, take tests to see if you have learned, etc. It helped me a lot. There is also a great book called "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. I bought mine on amazon.com. 

Oh I agree with them too. Well in most cases anyhow. I know how to control Riley's diabetes but I cant her hormones which messes her numbers up. At this rate even if she did want the pump now she might never get it.

[quote user="Jessica "]

We were told 6 months to a year before we could try Ri on a pump. We all had to know how to carb count and do mdi like pro's before they would consider a pump for her. That way if it ever broke we would know what to do and how to do it well.

[/quote]

The quote from Jessica makes a lot of sense to me. Although it might never be needed, the understanding of how to control things without a pump could be lifesaving. The pump is much better than injections, but injections will be your last line of defense if you have a problem with your pump, or if your insurance support gets cut off.

I have only been on the minimed pumps and I have had no problems with it! It is simple to use and is a good choice if you will be using a lot of insulin per day as it holds more than the others. One major drawback for me is that it is not waterproof which can become a nuisance. I got my pump 8 months after diagnosis and I have never even considered going back to shots because it gives so much more freedom than shots. Although some people tend to gain weught when first using the pump, I absolutely love that I do not have to take injections everyday. Oh! Minimed also has amazing customer service which I think is so important if your pump breaks at 2 in the morning ;)

In my humble opinion, the best first time pump would be the one that you choose.  All are approved by the fda and are very precise devices.  Depending on you, there are pluses and minuses to each.  Medtronic Revel has a CGM that communicates with the pump so you don't have an extra device to carry, but you still need to carry your glucose meter.  Animas is a bit more durable, supposedly able to be dropped from 6 ' without damage and it is waterproof but I wouldn't recommend wearing an insulin pump while swimming (What if it fell off while swimming in the ocean?).  It has a color screen but that requires it to use more power.  Omni pod doesn't have the long hose that connects you to the pump, but you wear the pump on your skin and some have had discomfort from that.  All, in my opinion are superior to taking multiple daily injections and I believe there was a recent study that proved A1c's for pumpers are lower than for mdi's.  You really can't make a wrong choice.  Just get one, if you can!  (My opinion)

Our family has used both animas and medronic...and honestly you cannot go wrong with either. 

I'm just going to throw my hat in the ring and say that our minimed pumps were far and away more user friendly than the animas.  Easy to use...easy to load...easy to insert.  All my boys by five years old were able to enter their own blood sugars and carbs.  We had to use animas initially because they offered smaller dosing...but now all three boys are with minimed and life is much easier. 

Good luck on your journey!  The right choice is different for everyone!

Sarah's doctor said that we can talk about and select a pump during her next appointment (this week), so I've been researching online the different types and options. I like the freedom of the omnipod, but I know Sarah wants the Animus, and untimately it has to be her decision as she has to live with it.

My question, can anyone give me an idea of the difference in the scare/pain factor between an injection and the pump infusion set? Although Sarah is excellent at testing and giving injections, she still has a pretty serious fear of needles. For example, she totally freaks if she needs a bloodtest or other injection (she had an antibiotic injection a couple of weeks ago, and it was a traumatic experience for both of us...). So I am wondering if she's just going to freak out when she sees the infusion needle and if it hurts to insert, I'm not sure she's going to be able to handle it. I'll take her as far as she wants to go with selecting and learning about the pump, but am just wondering if I need to be prepared for a major freakout...

Any thoughts?