Beware of giving out "too much" info to your Dr!

This story is a sad, sad commentary on your doctor, who really is in charge of him/her, and us as a society.
A little background first. I have been a type 1 for 50 years, and my A1c’s have ALWAYS been in the magical under 7 range, usually mid 6. I recently experienced a low that required my 15 year old daughter to call paramedics to our home. It was at night, I was in bed, and after administering glycogen all went well and no further treatment was needed. That was my first incident of that nature in 50 years. I tested my blood sugar before going to bed and it was 70 so I ate the correct amount of carbs to bring it up, but as every seasoned diabetic on the planet knows, sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men go astray…
Anyway, at a visit to my endocrinologist 5 months later I was discussing possibly enrolling in a islet transplant study to try to end diabetes for good, and I told her that one of the requirements for acceptance in the study was at least 1 uncontrollable hypoglycemic episode in the last year, and that I had one. Lucky me, I thought. Well, this negative that I thought could be used to my benefit as well as potentially putting us all on the path to a cure started to spiral in to a legal battle for my drivers license. Here is how it went.
They explained that they are required by the department of motor vehicles to report all incidents of that nature and a mandatory 6 month suspension of the diabetics drivers’ license. I read the information from my states DMV and found that the decision to report is up to the doctor if they decide that the patient has a history or pattern of non control or hypoglycemic unawareness. Although one isolated incident does not constitute a pattern, this decision is completely up to the physician. So where does that leave us, as diabetics?
This is obviously a case of people suing people, nothing more. Somewhere down the road someone (a diabetic) was in a car accident and put the the blame on their doctor. And because of this, I no longer go to this doctor, because how can I put my trust in him if before he treats me he has to answer to a lawyer? And don’t get me started about his poor decision to make my 1 incident in 50 years look like an attempt to get behind the wheel and ram a school bus. Every day people go to “happy hour”, get very “happy” and drive home. Or drive to a methadone clinic, get legally high as a kite, and drive home.
In closing, when discussing your disease with your doctor be well aware of who is really controlling your treatment. It is not who you think.

I am sorry you had this experience. Your doctor didn’t make a reasonable decision based on the law; you obviously don’t have hypo unawareness or a history of severe lows.

I’ve had to walk the line between truth and getting what I need for medical supplies. My doctor has an obligation to the insurance company to prescribe only 30 days of exactly what I use. If I report my insulin use and pump changes accurately, that leaves me with no extras if I drop a bottle of insulin or have a bad set or 2 in a box. I know I can get replacements, but I’m busy and an extra appointment is a hassle. Heaven forbid I get sick or eat a bunch over the holidays an take more insulin than usual.

While your doctor is a great resource you have to understand that he/she isn’t just serving you.

@50years,
Wow. I am totally shocked by your story. I always feel like I have a resource in my doctor and if things are going very wrong I can always call for advice. This is going to make me think twice and that should not be the case! I don’t know about other people, but for me an overnight low is very different from a low when you’re awake and conscious. Even if I’m not “feeling” it (full on shaking, sweating, etc), I still get some signs: a headache, my muscles/concentration does not work as well. Then at a certain point at least my CGM will tell me. Don’t people with DUI’s get a few chances before they lose their driver’s license?

@50years

It’s scary to think that your doctor who you put the utmost trust in to supply you with what you need to succeed can turn around and hide behind the law in a case like this one. To me, that sounded like an innocent, intelligent strategy on your end. Good job not going back to that doctor. He/She was in it for themselves so it sounds.

My doctor is the same way. if your a1c is above 10 they do it also but my dr didnt thankfully because im the only one who can drive my mom who is also diabetic around.

I just moved to FL – got a new drivers license and I was asked if I had T1 diabetes. I replied, “Yes”. Thank you, we have to note that on your license in case you get into an accident!

And in bold letters it say’s T1 diabetic!

The law is always working for profit.

The only reason we have medicare and restriction is NOT to care but to limit and they want to keep their jobs. Not against them, but when policy makers don’t look to save money and restrict resources - their only other motive is to keep their job.

I’m hearing you Scott. There are so many physical problems that could lead to an accident behind the wheel that if the department of transportation would be fair and list them all there wouldn’t be too many people left on the road. I can’t for the life of me figure this diabetic thing out. Why us? I would love to hear the REAL story behind the hate. And believe me, there is a story behind all this.

I agree with you. There is a story. And is not on our side.

I feel there is very little empathy towards people who have chronic illnesses that are not their own cause.

I lived in France for four years and due to the fact that I was diabetic I was offered full free medical attention at no cost. why, because it was not my choice to become a type one diabetic at 10 years old. In America it is all about me paying money for the rest of my life for something that I did not want the first place.

The affordable care act does not provide health care it provides insurance it’s a step in the right direction but clearly not what diabetics and other people with serious chronic conditions need.

If I did not have medical insurance through my wife I would be living in a homeless shelter and on Medicaid!

I do believe in conspiracy issues and I think chronic illnesses in America is a conspiracy against people who have chronic problems and drug companies who are benefiting from the profits they make from helping to treat those people.