BGL's climbing

Thanks Bill!! That is very nice of you to offer!! I may take you up on that sometime. I know many people love it and what it can do, so I am both excited and nervous!! The moderators would probably want us to move this discussion to a private message at that point. Thanks for the tips!! Keep us posted on how you are doing!

1 Like

I’m not a happy camper today. Woke up with a 98 yesterday morning. My diet stayed nearly exactly the same all day. I kept my basal dose of NPH the same and lowered my bolus dose of Reg. 10 units. BGL’s stayed between 125 -167 all day with no Reg boluses. Everything was going great until 5:30, then the bottom dropped out. I dropped to 67 as I sat down to eat. I even drank more milk during dinner and was 98 BGL 45 minutes after eating. 1.5 hours after eating I dropped to 65. I ate some strawberries and drank some more milk and it went to 85. 45 minutes later dropped to 70 and continued to drop. Ate my ham and cheese with cracker snacks and even drank one third of a bottle of reg. soda. Went up to 96. Before bed it went to 98. I wasn’t comfortable with that level and ate several handfuls of mini cheese Ritz crackers and the rest of my reg soda. Laid down drifted off to sleep and 40 minutes later I was awakened by my alarm. I had dropped to 67. Got up and drank some more reg soda. My monitor said my BGL’s were rising. Fell back to sleep and my wife woke me up at 4:30 with a 64 and dropping. More reg soda, back to sleep. One hour later she woke me again with a 65 dropping fast alert more reg. soda, back to sleep again. 2 hours later another alert and got up and drank one half bottle of reg soda and my BGL’s stabilized at 125 finally. Is it just me or does anyone else wonder sometimes if our pancreas for no reason decides; “hey, I’m going to work today and then go back on permanent vacation.”?

Any time Danielle. You’ll have to explain the private message process, 'cause I’ve never done that, but I don’t want to get in trouble for being off topic. And trust me, you’re gonna love your Dexcom once you see it helping you.

nope, its not just you. that’s how honeymoon works. of course I haven had my pancreas making insulin in a couple years, but every once in a while it does. don’t forget if you are making insulin, your body wants to be 70 to 75 mg/dl and that may read 55-60 on a finger stick or CGM. if you are making a little insulin, you will NOT be able to get your blood sugar above 90 on a finger stick machine, no matter what or how often you eat.

3 Likes

Oh, man, that sounds exactly like what happened! Your pancreas decided to start cranking out insulin again, completely heedless of the fact that you had NPH on board. Grrr.

1 Like

Thank you for that info joe. I’ve been secretly thinking that for a while due to similar incidents through out my 58 years of containing my little monster within it’s cage. I say secretly because I mentioned my thoughts to doctors and was dismissed. However I would sit and wonder about this inoperative organ laying inside of me chillin’ while I did all of it’s work while it laid there and watched. Sort of like covering for a lazy coworker situation. I know of the honeymoon phase but was told that happens to only newbie T1D’s when first diagnosed, but now my ideas have some validation.

I believe so srozelle. Yesterday had no rhyme or reason. The more I tried to correct the more I was challenged. That little monster found a new way to pick it’s lock and gave me a run for my money. Currently so far today my BGL’s have been in the 120-127’s without any dawn phenomenon happening so it’s behaving. I feel I should dock my pancreases pay for excessive vacation time.

That happened to me a few nights ago - I was coasting around 70 despite snacking - which included a soda or some juice. I’ve been Type 1 since 1963 so I’m sure the honeymoon is over. :tired_face::crazy_face::face_with_raised_eyebrow::confounded::flushed:

2 Likes

It’s good to have you join this discussion Jason, and your experiences sound all too familiar. Mine lately after getting out of bed had been ranging from 98 to 125 and start to climb into the 300’s but now I’m dealing with the opposite situation of lows. Mine like yours would rise gradually without even eating anything, with an empty stomach so to speak. Between the dawn phenomenon and the honeymoon phase I just want a refund on this ride.

I have had that happen before too. A few weeks ago, I had just checked my blood sugar and took my Lantus(Long-acting so no immediate effects) and my blood sugar dropped from 135 to 40 in a matter of 30 minutes. My diabetes educator thinks my pancreas was like “Hi, yes, here is a bunch of insulin cause we decided to work for once” Took me almost 2 hours to come back up. I didn’t take any basal insulin and I was eating a ton and drinking soda to try to get back up. (By a ton, I mean quick carbs and waiting, then quick carbs and waiting)

1 Like

I sent you a message and if you click on your icon at the top right of the page. Your brown circle with the R in it, you should be able to see it. It explains how to do it in the message I sent!

1 Like

@rs3880 it happens to me a bunch of times in the last 40+ years. I’ll bolus for a meal and then drop like mad, out of nowhere completely random. I’ll have to at least double my carbs to cover the bolus insulin. Then I’ll be 70 for 1,2, or 3 days with no insulin for meals. Then it’ll eventually go back to normal crazy. Took my pump off for 2 days last time. Had some pizza and a little ice cream. Always watching and waiting for the other show to fall. That’s why I am sure if they find a way to fix the autoimmune malfunction, T1 autoimmune diabetes would fix the rest itself. Anyway. That’s my 2 cents. Honeymoon isn’t just for newbies in my experience.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thank you for the info.

I’ll have to remember that. It’ll be like going on a binge. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one that experiences these issues. This is why this forum is so important, so we don’t feel like we’re loosing our minds and finding others like ourselves to say it’s gonna be OK I have the same issues sometimes. Sanity in numbers so to speak.

1 Like

I guess that I am the exception to the recurring honeymoon since my pancreas was removed due to massive infection and necrosis. I fight my liver storing and dumping glucose on a regular basis though. I have found that for me I must go low to no carb dinner or my sugar spikes at night. I have also dropped in middle of night , I believe due to last minute work activities. I have found that my body is slow to react to everything, insulin dosage and exercise both. I get my exercise induced low an hour after I am done not during. I too wish I could exit this ride , even just for a little while, but my ticket was permanently punched by the scalpel.

1 Like

The human body is very complex and 1 system will compensate for another when it becomes disabled. But just hearing your experiences reaffirms my thoughts. I’d never thought anything different of your condition until you told us. To us you’re one of us, all with a permanently punched ticket, your’s is just with a different hole puncher.

No harm I was diagnosed as a type one prior to the surgery but was plagued with the major infection that I was told was made possible by my own body attacking the beta cells in the first place.

1 Like

I know my honeymoon phase caused me many troubles so in some aspects maybe I am lucky that I no longer have to fight that battle too.

1 Like

Ugh ! 126 at dinner, lowered my basal and bolus doses again this morning. 118-128 throughout the entire day. Ate a Big Mac and a glass of milk for dinner. 40 minutes later my alarm is sounding saying 64. Drank some apple juice and 30 minutes later my alarm is sounding with a 54 and fast dropping alert. Just drank some reg soda…again, and now climbing, currently 64. That monster is pissing me off really bad now and I still want a refund for that ride ticket,…just sayin’

Is it possible the fat in the big Mac is preventing the carbs absorbing and it will hit much later. Pizza does this to me all the fat and protein makes my bg spike almost 4hrs after eating the pizza. If I take a normal bolus I will have to treat a low and then get slammed with a massive spike about 4 hrs later. PS this is a recent change for me 20 + years on insulin and this started happening inside the last 2 years.

1 Like