Blood sugar won’t go down even with extra insulin

Hi!!! So I’ve noticed my blood sugar won’t go down even with extra insulin even when I do corrections and skip meals so it won’t spike, I also tried to work out and it still didn’t bring it down I also do not have large ketones they have either been negative or a trace or even small I’m also drinking a lot of water not to mention I only eat or do corrections every 3 hours, what should I do ? I’ve been a diabetic for awhile but this has been happening more often. I would love to know if anyone else has this ? Or has tips? It would be appreciated:).

1 Like

Hi @Kiwigirll even though this is going to sound obvious, insulin makes your blood sugar go down. You didn’t say pump or pens or what kind of testing so all I can say is if your actual blood sugar is high you may need more insulin. You may have to adjust both your meal time and your basal (rate or shot). Your best bet is to talk it over with a doctor. Cheers and good luck :four_leaf_clover:

I use a pump and depending on circumstances will switch to injections if I can’t bring my numbers down. If I do that, and drink plenty of water, and STILL can’t get my numbers down I’ve found I usually have an infection. I’ve had s couple of UTIs with no burning or pain - the only clue was my numbers. I’ve also found I should see my dentist if I have a toothache while that’s going on - I’m a dental coward and in those cases I’ve had a cavity the progressed to needing a root canal.

1 Like

I agree with Joe, discuss with your doctor. Could be any one or two of a number of things going on. It is great you know your body and know something is not going right. There are some food items in my diet, that will drive my blood sugar up so my regular corrections won’t work. I am on a pump now, so Sometimes something is wrong with my site. When I was on shots, Sometimes it was the location of the shot. Try to get with your doc to figure it out. Don’t go it alone. I hope the two of you can figure it out.

Alyssa @Kiwigirll as has been suggested, this may be a signal for discussion with a doctor who knows how your body performs and reacts to insulin.

As you have lived with diabetes “for a while” [I don’t know if “a while” is 18 months or 18 years], you have most likely observed that dozens of factors, other than food, activity and insulin, can cause your glucose to rise and stay elevated, or drop and stay lower than you wish no matter what you eat or do. Just this crazy thing that diabetes does to us.

Over your lifetime, you will very certainly observe significant variations in amount of insulin needs infused/injected in your body every day, other than the variations affected by food or activity level. As an example, my average 30 day total dose of insulin has been 19.83 units to balance out 223 grams of carbs with moderate activity - four decades ago I needed about 100 units of insulin a day for similar food and activity. Sensitivity to insulin effectiveness will change over time; it may be time for you [with guidance] consider the fact that your body is just needing more insulin for a while.

2 Likes

Hi Alyssa,

I have a couple of thoughts on why your BG is not coming down. First, if you are using a pump, there are several things that could cause this:
1) a bent cannula
2) Kinks in the tubing
3) Reservoir issues
4) Over-used infusion sites (can be the cause of slow insulin absorption.
If taking insulin shots the last item above can be the cause as you may have scar tissue from too many injections in the same area. Also, insulin resistance, which can develop over time, could be the cause. Or, if you have recently changed the type of insulin you use (IE: switching from Humalog to Novolog), it could be that the new insulin works differently than the old one.

As you can see, there are many things that can cause this. This is why it has been suggested, and I will also suggest, speaking with your medical provider about this to figure out what the cause is. You can use out suggestions of possible causes as a starting point, but please keep in mind that there may be other causes not listed.

Hope this helps and that you find the cause soon!

Pam K
T1D 56+ years and counting!

Keep a diary of what you eat, your pre- and post-meal blood sugars and your insulin dosage. Share it with your diabetes educator or nurse. There are some foods that take a long time to metabolize and can keep your sugars well above normal for several hours. This happened to me with onion rings on more than one occasion.

I want to say hello and I am sorry. This is my experience I hipe it will help. What your explaining is something that has got real bad for me over the recent years. A lot is from me giving up and not eating or just saying I am to hungry so I eat anyways. For me it is like it will store my insulin or it is flushed out some how. Along with the insulin not being effective my body won’t process carbs in the middle of the night. I wake up at about 12 treat a 65 BG with a juice box and cookie. My BG rises only a few points then drops again about 3 I eat a pb and j sandwich. I wake up with usually a 78 to 90 BG. My BG will rise a couple hundred points in just a few minutes. Usually so fast my cgm stops working. I have given myself over a hundred units it a 4 hr period before, my blood sugar would never go down. My body ended up becoming allergic to synthetic insulin. I had to switch back to regular. I also had a lot of other problems from this insulin I ended up in a wheel chair for a couple years. 2 years later and I still have the same problem sometimes but not as often as before maybe a few times a month. The Dr spent 5 years running tests and they have no clue I had to read the warning label I had developed 90% of the side effects of novolog. There is a lot of factors now that effect my bg from all the years of un managed type 1. Dont give up keep reaching out it is a hard battle but it can get worse if you dont take care of it.