Bolusing for Two!

Holy crap, guys!  I'm pregnant!!!

I found out during lunch Friday. I was sick and taking cold meds, and I realized, "You know, my period was supposed to start yesterday.  Maybe I should take a pregnancy test just to make sure I'm not going to pickle a baby with all these cold meds."

As it turned out, there was a baby to pickle!

It's "planned," because we stopped preventing, but "unexpected" because we'd only been trying (and only casually) for a little over a month and I didn't really expect to see two lines already!  Before I was diagnosed, we'd been trying for over a year.  Then I had to take a time out for 5 or 6 months while I got used to treatment and got my BG under control.  So it seems to me like the problem was that I just wasn't healthy enough to get pregnant before I started treatment!  I'm glad my body know what it's doing.

I'll be making appointments with my OB and my endo on Monday, and I'm just trying really hard to keep my numbers really good and steady until I get more specific directions (as I understand it, my new post-meal target will be 120).

Holy crap!!!

Congrats!  Good luck with it all.

congratulations! it's funny you found out so quickly! very happy for you and hubs :o) we'll be here for you every step of the way :D

Yay!  Congratulations!!

Yay, Elizabeth!!! I'm so excited for you!  Keep us posted so we can cheer you on!

*jumping up and down because she's so excited for you*

I left a comment on your blog, too.  :)  Congrats!

Yes!!!!!!!! Congrats, I am so happy for you!

Thanks, everyone!!!  :D

(And I'll keep you guys updated!)

Elizabeth, you're a superstar! You're just getting used to T1, and now you're in such great control to take care of you and baby. Amazing!

Send me questions if you have any throughout... I really leaned on T1 Mommies (online and in real life) when I was pregnant b/c a lot of the online info is sooo terrible or for gestational D.

During the 1st trimester, there tend to be the most ups and downs (unlike later where you need more and more insulin). So, the big thing now is to start watching out for sudden lows. My endo advised not to spend the night alone w/o hubby in that 1st trimester in case of sudden lows. (Although that was with dexcom 7, and 7+ is better...) And, don't beat yourself up if you have a few out of range numbers. Your baby will be okay as long as you correct the problem quickly. Your numbers will probably settle down as you move into 2nd trimester.

www.diabeticmommy.com is a great site for T1/T2/gest D women who are pregnant or mommies...

Aww congrats! It's always exciting to hear about a little bambino on the way! :)

Congrats on your pregnancy !!! Good Luck.

Congratulations!  Hope you have an easy 9 months ahead.

Yahh...so happy for you.

Congrats =)

Holy Conception, Batman!!!! Congrats!!! Always like happy/good news.

Congrats!! :-)

Congrats!

That's so great! 

Stuff to know:

• If you take an ACE inhibitor stop taking it immediately until you talk to your doctor.   
  • Sign up for BabyCenter.com.  They give weekly updates for the baby, mom and dad.  Found it much better than the preachy and boring "What to Expect When You're Expecting."
  • Find an OB-GYN you like.  No matter how well controlled your diabetes is you'll be considered a high risk pregnancy.  The good part is that you'll get lots of ultrasounds at the end.
  • I maintained a 5.1 A1c by aiming for a blood sugar of 80 (instead of my usual 100) and testing A LOT to make sure I didn't have lows. 
  • Once you're past the tiredness of the first trimester, sign up for a Moms in Motion exercise class.  I did water aerobics and yoga.  Made me feel good and it was great to meet other moms-to-be.
  • In the last trimester your progesterone levels rise, which inhibits insulin senstivity.  Expect your dose to go up dramatically in the last months (my daily dose was more than double). 
  • There's a high risk you'll have a cesarean.  Wish my doctor had been more upfront with me about that. 
  • In the hospital take pump supplies, syringes, and snacks.  I was shocked by how uneducated the hospital medical staff was about diabetes and "self medicated" to keep my numbers good. 
  • Not sure if you'll have the same experience, but once I started breast feeding I needed NO insulin for about the first 2 weeks.  This was after being type 1 for 27 years.  Think it was a combination of breast feeding, post pregnancy hormones, sleep deprivation, etc.  
  • Great books are "Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes: Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby" by Cheryl Alkon and "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" by Vicki Iovine (not diabetes specific, but it will give you a good laugh).   

Congratulations again!  Motherhood is such a blessing and there's absolutely no reason you won't have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy son or daughter.... or twins! 

Congratulations! That's so exciting!!! I'm about 9 weeks pregnant, so if you have any questions I would be happy to help =)

Congrats Elizabeth! Hope mama and baby are both healthy and happy!