C-sections linked to T-1D

So, I've been Type 1 for about 20 years now and am currently finishing my BSN and hopefully master's degree.  Back in the early 90s when I was diagnosed, I was told immediately that this disease would kill me and that I would have complications in ten years probably.  No complications now, but that's because I keep my A1-Cs from 5.1-5.4.  I try to keep my sugar 83 mg/dL around the clock on the advice of Dr. Bernstein.

I've been reading these boards, and something's made me nervous.  I see a lot of type 1s here accepting the c-section.  There are several studies that link c-section to type 1 development, which we obviously already have the genetic predisposition toward:

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/61/1/36.short
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18292986

I can't help but see the posts from women talking about how they were told that NOT c-sectioning is going to harm their babies.  Has anyone confronted their doctors with the knowledge that induction and the generally-forthcoming c-section might hurt their baby far worse?  As a type 1, I'm afraid for any baby I might conceive.  Will I have the gumption to tell the doctor that if s/he doesn't let me deliver naturally, I'll be doing it at home?  Part of me, says that I absolutely will to decrease my child's risk of the horrible disease that stole my childhood.

These are questions I'm wrestling with preconceptually, as well as ones of vaccination.  I often wonder since vaccines are SUPPOSED to prompt an immune response, if they've simply prompted it too far in the case of an autoimmune disease.  Type 1 is associated with proteins found in MMR vaccination, so will I vaccinate any children I'm fortunate enough to have?  I'm leaning toward no.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12793601

Has anyone else here struggled with these thoughts?  You wouldn't believe how some non-diabetics look at you when you say these things.

-Melissa

The article says that Type 1 is associated with Mumps infection so not being vaccinated isn't going to help.

Melissa-

Don't stress about this stuff.  When you actually are pregnant and after your child is born you will make the best decisions you can on each issue.  Reality is always different than what you imagine.  And the first thing you learn in your pregnancy and as a parent is that you try to do your best, but you're not in charge and can't control everything that will happen.  But usually everything works out.

I've never seen a conclusive medical study  linking modern vaccinations to any health condition like diabetes, autism, etc.  There are a lot of anecdotal stories, but where's the research?  The reality is because a percentage of parents have chosen not to vaccinate their kids, old diseases like whooping cough, measles, etc.  have returned and actually do kill a percentage of infants and children who contract it.  It's your choice as a parent, but I think you should look carefully at the research studies, especially at the size of the sample group.  Then I would also look for follow up studies to see if the research can be reproduced.  You'll find some of the alarming studies are often discredited with further research.

Your child's chances of inheiriting type 1 from you are surprisingly low.  The ADA info is here.  www.diabetes.org/.../genetics-of-diabetes.html

How could a cesarean contribute to a child developing type 1?  When I was expecting, my diabetes and pregnancy were so healthy I thought I'd be allowed to deliver naturally.  But my doctor was concerned because a diabetic mom is high risk.  So I agreed to be induced early.  When the induction wasn't successful (my body was not ready to deliver) I had a cesarean.  Although I knew I could have refused to be induced, it was hard to trust my instincts to wait, when I had a doctor telling me it was best to deliver early.  If I had it to do over again I would have talked through these issues on my very first appointment.  But at the end of the day, my son is completely healthy and I healed from the cesarean.   I haven't had any complication with the surgery or with my diabetes.  

Hope this helps.  And that's cool that you do Dr. Bernstein's low carb and have such a great A1c.  It sounds like you'll be a really good mom someday when the time comes.  

Take care.  -Jenna