Checking in public?

In the beginning I was shy about testing or taking a shot in public, but then realized, hey, I have nothing to be shy about, it is what it is. Not that I get up in anyone’s face, but I try and act nonchalant , test in my lap, and with the pump, just punch in some numbers in a gizmo. Other people are just going to have to realize, these conditions exist, and this is what we have to do to address them.

1 Like

Perhaps I’ve gotten older and less concerned about public perception, but I think testing at a baseball game just has to happen in your seat bc where else would you go? Over the past few weeks, I’ve tested on a subway train, corner of a concert venue and at a restaurant (on my lap). As long as you aren’t squeezing your finger trying to spray your blood everywhere (lol, which I’m sure you aren’t) I think it’s OK to test wherever you need to.

2 Likes

I check in public, but if I’m not comfortable doing it, then I’ll go to the bathroom and do it.

I have never been self conscious about testing or giving my insulin in pubic. 40 years ago I used to give my insulin shots in public. Now, I test anywhere I need to, and monitor my pump whenever it needs me. Do what feels right for you.

1 Like

While reading through the responses I came across some horror stories about people dropping their insulin bottles. Thank goodness for pens now for those who don’t use pumps; for those who do carry around a bottle and syringe there are sleeves you can use to protect your liquid gold. When I get a bottle from the pharmacy I slide one over it before I load my pump cartridges. Here’s a link to one from Amazon - I picked one at random but they come in different sizes so make sure you select the one for your insulin type.
Vial Protection By Securitee Blanket - Tall Royal Blue - Fits Lantus, Apidra and Levimer Bottles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R7Z204/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gjrSDb84294BB

2 Likes