Child becoming type 1- irregular blood sugar

My 14 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 in Nov. We started monitoring my 7 yr old son after we realized he has 2 antibodies for Type 1. Recent HA1c 6.2, bg are anywhere from 60-299. He sees endocrine but they are just monitoring until he becomes more uncontrolled. I have several questions- how common is it for developing type 1 to have hypoglycemia? He is symptomatic when his blood sugar is <80. Also- has anyone done any trials to help prolong time to official diagnosis? I hate just sitting here watching it happen and not being able to do anything. TIA for any insight.

I don’t have any experience directly with the situation you are in,but my grandfather was a type 2 who controlled his diabetes with just diet for over 25yrs. He maintained an average a1c of 6.0 during all those years. If my child was displaying symptoms as you said yours is i would try to eliminate a majority of the high processed sugar foods and go to complex natural carbs. This should lower the stress on his pancreatic functions. Lowering the level of stress on the pancreatic system is never a bad thing when it is still functional.

Also you might seek a second opinion from another endocrinologist. I would seek a different practice as well.

People who are newly diagnosed often have a honeymoon phase, during which their body produces insulin. How much and when you just don’t know, so doctors may aim to keep the numbers higher than otherwise, to prevent lows. I imagine that’s what they are doing - watching for more consistency with higher numbers. Of course you could consult with another physician who may take a more proactive approach.

Hi @aoswalt please continue to work with a doctor and if you need more medical advice, a second opinion

For undiagnosed children, random high blood sugars are not uncommon. Please keep in mind your home meter is not accurate enough for diagnostic analysis. Even that 60 you are reading doesn’t count as definite hypoglycemia because of the standard error on your home meters.

The antibody tests are inconclusive, but might indicate to watch carefully which is exactly what you are doing.

There definitely were clinical studies, please work with your doctor to see if there are any studies running and then if you fit any of the criteria.

Keep in mind there is not a single thing you can do to prevent onset, for example drastically changing diet or increasing exercise has zero effect and will nor affect the outcome of a person having or about to have autoimmune type 1 diabetes. Of course I’ll wish you luck :four_leaf_clover:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately our insurance limits which endocrines we can see, so finding a second opinion is difficult. We will continue to monitor, and I have already started the process with TrialNet for definitive screening. I am hoping they will have a trial he will qualify for. We eat pretty healthy but he does love his junk food like any kid, and its hard bc his sister can eat sweets and then just take insulin but he isn’t there yet.

Early in the development of diabetes, it is possible to see reactive hypoglycemia like your 7 year old is having. Type one diabetes generally develops over a period of about 5 years in children. It eventually results in diabetes when more than 90% of the pancreatic beta cells are destroyed. With your son’s blood sugars ranging between 60 and 299, I would daresay he most likely has early Type 1 diabetes, not yet needing injected insulin. In the early 2000’s, a large study was completed to see if type 1 diabetes could be prevented by giving pre-diabetics insulin; and that study showed giving insulin did not prevent diabetes. However, in 1989, a Pediatric endocrinologist published a study in the New England Journal of Medicine in which newly diagnosed children with diabetes who had their blood sugars completely normalized for one week on a real artificial pancreas (called a “Biostator”) were making the same amount of insulin one year later–whereas those diabetics who were not had stopped producing insulin one year later. Since the Biostator is no longer commercially available, one might reasonably ask if there is any other way to slow down or prevent further destruction of beta cells. In my personal opinion, there is–diet and exercise, including elimination of commercially available simple sugars (except for treating low blood sugar reactions) and artificial sweeteners. Naturally, this is considered pure heresy by many. Nonetheless, I do believe there is much evidence in the scientific literature to support this. In contrast to pure glucose, sucrose, and fructose added sweeteners, whole foods, including grains, and natural sugars in moderation (with vitamins, and minerals) (in such foods as berries and grapes) are likely to be beneficial. That being said, having an older sibling with diabetes who eats junk foods and sweets could make this whole approach completely impossible to follow…