Coldness and Fatigue

For the past several weeks I've been consistently cold - but only starting after about 3pm and lasting generally until I go to bed, at least for a few hours.  Usually I'm less cold if I'm moving around more, but usually during that time period I'm pretty inactive.  I've always had cold hands and feet, but when I start to feel completely cold it seems like my core temperature actually goes up.  Also, I feel more fatigued and weak, but I'm not sure if that's just because I don't sleep enough/drink enough water.  

Does anyone have any similar experiences/advice?  I know these are both symptoms of hypothyroidism, so if it's anything, I'm hoping it's that.  How fast does hypothyroidism tend to develop?  

Thanks! 

I agree -- I'd ask to get thyroid tests done.

Hope it's nothing and just the colder weather!

Low iron levels can also cause those symptoms.  Whatever it is, you should probably ask for some comprehensive bloodwork to be done. 

Hi Katie -

I get that way, too! All I have to do is have a cold drink, and my whole body is instantly cold. Last night before I bed, I had 1 glass of cold water, and my whole body was freezing. Usually my feet are the first to feel it, and then it travels up my body. Never really understood it. Perhaps I'll ask my doctor about thyroid issues. Does anyone know if that's common with Type 1s?

~ Anna

[quote user="Katie"]

For the past several weeks I've been consistently cold - but only starting after about 3pm and lasting generally until I go to bed, at least for a few hours.  Usually I'm less cold if I'm moving around more, but usually during that time period I'm pretty inactive.  I've always had cold hands and feet, but when I start to feel completely cold it seems like my core temperature actually goes up.  Also, I feel more fatigued and weak, but I'm not sure if that's just because I don't sleep enough/drink enough water.  

Does anyone have any similar experiences/advice?  I know these are both symptoms of hypothyroidism, so if it's anything, I'm hoping it's that.  How fast does hypothyroidism tend to develop?  

Thanks! 

[/quote]

Sleep and water are important, and yes, these are classic symptoms of an underactive thyroid, so you'll want to bring these symptoms up to your doc/endo if you haven't already.

I have Hashimoto's myself and feel fatigued every now and then.  Hypothyrodism from Hashimoto's develops at its own pace and can actually be slow and asymptomatic for awhile with periodic flare-ups.  Eventually, your thyroid gets destroyed, but docs/endos monitor your thyroid levels to see when it's time to give medication like synthroid.

What's odd is I basically never feel cold even though I've been hypothyroid a couple of times already.  I attribute it to my Siberian and Norwegian genes - I don't even wear sweatshirts or jackets until it reaches the low 40sºF.  People think I'm psycho, but I just have an extremely high tolerance to cold!  I wonder if I will start to feel cold even when my thyroid starts destroying itself completely, or if I will just experience other common symptoms of a declining thyroid...