Commiserate, please

I'm in Spain for a rock climbing trip. It's awesome. My levels are RIDICULOUS. Today I spent at least ten hours below 70. I started off the morning being an idiot, and only bringing two test strips. I reduced my basal rate by half. We went out to "the king's walkway" which is a crazy narrow path above a gorge that you clip into and there are some spots that you're walking on train ties about half a mile in the air, it's all pretty sketchy and adventurous. Well, of course, I'm riding 70 when we start. My CGM beeps at me the whole time, alternating between three and four beeps (which mean under 80 and under 55). I felt okay, and this sensor hadn't been accurate at all, so I just kept going, until near the end I realized I was doing the mantra thing "It's just fine everything is fine it's fine i'm fine." I realized that was one of my classic "too low to feel low" symptoms, so I pulled out some gu and sucked it down, and of course, while I'm coming back up, all the symtoms hit. So i'm hundreds of feet in the air, dizzy as **** looking down into the river, walking across slippery train ties and pathways that have basically crumbled, and everyone else in my group is just hurrying along, having a good time. 

So, we finish, and I'm feeling good. I test - 191. Perfect, not surprising, just need a little correction and the walk back will fix it, so I bolus 1/3 of a unit (which should bring me down to roughly 170 normally...) and take off. I decide to run because I'm feeling physically good and also pretty annoyed with the group. I make it to the house at 83. Perfect. Lunchtime. I eat lunch, bolus for half of it, and pack my bag - we're going out for half a day of climbing. I'm feeling good as we take off, 100 and steady, and we're going to a crag near to our house, so I don't reduce my basal rate. About 80 meters from the house, I start falling behind everyone. A little further up, dex starts beeping, and i pull out some gu, again. the second half of the group catches up with and passes me, and i slowly drag my exhausted muscles up to the rocks. I wait about 5 minutes up there, and then feel good, so I start belaying. Dex says 100ish the three hours we're climbing, and we head down, but it's getting dark, and we're in a rush, so i forget to lower my basal. By the tie we got back, i just collapsed into bed and fell asleep. One of the group leaders woke me up, and I tested at 50, and went to eat dinner. 

i feel like this glucocoaster has taken all the fibers in my muscles and stretched them life rubberbands, and now they're sort of floppy and ragdoll-like. I am trying so hard on this trip, and it's really hard, and i wish i had someone here who i could just turn to and say "so, these lows really suck, huh?" or at least "hey, will you slow down with me while i wait for my blood sugar to come up?" The instructors really want me to tell them when i'm feeling off, but things have literally been off since we got here, so i don't know when to strike that balance. 

Grr. Ya'll are great. I'm mostly having a great time. 

Wow! Sounds crazy! Take care of yourself, but still have as much fun as possible! Get me a souvenir. JK(: I hope you don't have any more lows. I have always thought high blood sugars are better, because you can easily lower them by taking jog or playing your favorite sport and you don't feel them. Lows are completely different: you feel them, you eat something for them, and sometimes it is still low (and you're not even hungry), and you have to eat a couple more glucose tabs or whatever you do for lows. Just remember: HAVE FUN!!!

ajax-

your trip sounds amazing (minus the glucoaster part).  I'm sorry your sugars are being so not cooperative!  Hopefully, after a few more days things will even out a little for you.  At least it's an adventure, right?  Keep us posted!

It's been 10 years, but I remember having similar frustrations when I was on a kayaking trip off the coast of Baja.  We were on the ocean at least 6 hours at a time and because of the exertion and excitment my blood sugars were super low. 

Finally learned to cut my basal rate slightly and not bolus at all for meals.  Test a lot and be super cautious when correcting.  Keep quick sugar by your bedside so you can easily treat a middle of the night low too.   Have a great time!

I'd just try cutting your basal and also be cautious about correcting. It is always tricky to figure out what to do with my son when we are off our regular schedule and super active.

I think the other thing I would try to remember is to give yourself a shot of gu or eat something anytime you start a climb.

And ugh, the 2 test strip thing, I hate when that happens to me. I just have an extra bottle of test strips in my purse so that doesn't happen to us - that we always have back-up. Maybe you can throw a tube of strips in your backpack or pocket so that doesn't happen again.

But this sounds like an awesome trip. So cool. HAVE FUN!

This morning, I cut my basal to 30% and bolused for 1/2 of my breakfast before taking off. I went strong for the first half hour of the hike, and then the last ten minutes i fell behind everyone and got super dizzy - not fun on narrow paths, but i knew i was close! Tested at 47 at the top. I left the 30% basal going for another half hour or so, then raised it to 50%. It seemed to keep me pretty even all day, until the hike down. I cut it to 20%, ate some chocolate that someone offered me, and it was perfect! Yay! Here's hoping for another tomorrow. We're heading into Malaga for a "rest day," which will be a whole new adventure/challenge. 

Wow, this trip sounds amazing!  I can relate though.  (Well, not on the crazy, extreme, rock climbing part, but on the glucocoaster that results from a lot of strenuous exercise).  I went on a trip with some friends to Maine, to go hiking.  We would spend 6-7 hours a day hiking, up and down mountains and on the rocky coast.  It was a lot of fun, but wow, I just could not keep my blood sugar up.  I remember eating lunch and not bolusing anything for it, and still going low an hour or two later and having to eat more. 

Anyway, have a great time!  Just take care of yourself!

We're all there "with you", in spirit anyways.  Sorry diabetes is being a jerk, and I'm glad you're having such a great time!