Considering to move to Florida

We’re considering to move to Florida and I like to know how’s the healthcare for kids with diabetes. My daughter is 6 years old. I will be very grateful to have any feedback

Rosa @Muneca, I moved to Florida in 2000 and have had very good medical problems, including two top notch endocrinologist.
That said, Florida is VERY large and widespread and my experience may not be your experience. In my area, there is a very active JDRF Chapter with sub chapters for chil, and for teens, and for young adult. I regularly attend a morning Cups of Hope coffee that is primarily attended by parents of young children who are looking for tips and guidance. During the year, all diabetes device manufacturers are involved, indivually, to make presentations- we always know what is current.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply. I heard only bad things about health insurance too? What’s your thoughts about that?

@Muneca Rosa, I’ve had good insurance coverage, I always use a large national company with coverage in all States. Same coverage in Florida as i had in Massachusetts.

Now Medicare Advantage with UHC, really terrific. Full $00.00 co-pay coverage for pump and CGM supplies. Also no doctor cp-pay during pandemic.

Thanks again Dennis. This information is very helpful

Hey @Dennis. I live in the DMV, and when you think about life in different areas of the country certain things come to mind, some of them weather related.
You get tropical storms that other areas may not see often if at all, and those of us who don’t get them are at the mercy of our imaginations when it comes to thinking about what they may be like. So when it comes to yoir “liquid gold” (aka insulin) do you take any special measures to protect - and your pump gear - when those storms occasionally blow through? Any tips to share?

Hey Dori @wadawabbit, it took me a couple of breaths to figure out what you meant by “DMV”. Then remembering what you had previously mentioned, I figure your abbreviation means WDC Vicinity.

The “Liquid Gold” can be safe, even when without electricity, in an already cold refrigerator for several days. That is, as long as the door is not held open for long periods. After a few days of prolonged outage, just drop it into the freezer if that temperature has lowered enough. I never refrigerate an open vial of analog insulin. RFor prolonged periods without refrigeration, and when traveling, there are Frio packs of many variety; all that is neded is to wet the Frio every day or so.

We had a hurricane pass through here two years ago and were without electricity for 5 or 6 days; Our daughter who lives about 15 miles from us had electricity and would visit frequently and always had a coller full of ice keeping cool the treats she delivered.

Actually, our daughter just called to question an item on our grocery list; twice every week, since March, she has done our grocery shopping and delivered to our garage - from where we bring it through a direct door into the kitchen.

We ARE very fortunate!

Very nice! I know you don’t need to refrigerate open insulin anymore - certain types anyway - but I never got out of the habit. I draw up several vials for my pump and keep them in a small Tupperware container until I need it. I do try to leave it out to warm up a bit before I load my pump - there seem to be fewer air bubbles that way - but I’ve never had a problem. Plus we have so much stuff on our kitchen counters, the dedicated spot in our fridge means I always know where to find it🤣.

My working vial, Dorie @wadawabbit, is kept on the kitchen counter in a plastic, covered container, along with a conplete set of cartridge and infusion-set change junk.

The not-refrigerated insulin is more effective immediately in the body and eliminates “shock” that tends to lead to lumps, damaged derma, and scar tissue.
Also, about air bubbles: dispite what nurses teach and practice, always keep the insulin vial on the table, stick in the needle and expell air into the vial - NOT through insulin. Don’t hold the vial upside down and shove in the air. Also, and you were told this a hundred years ago - never shake insulin - remember with animal NPH you were told to roll the vial between your hands.