My son has gotten approved for a pump by the endo. She sent over a huge 15 page quiz to go over with him. MOst of it is insulin to carbs but some of the questions have to do with bolus which he has not done. I called her on it and she told him to do the best he can but I want to know what is correct and not what is close. The test is also 2 years old and some of the terminology is new. I figured if I knew the right answers I can compare it to what he does now to see if any different.
Could use some help.
Here are a few questions.
Assume 1 carb = 15 grams unless otherwise specified.
1. Your lunch consists of 4 carbs (60 grams). Your ratio is 1 u/CHO serving serving. How much insulin would you bolus to cover your carb choices: ________units. (I am not sure what 1 u/CHO means.
Now he would give himself 4 units of Humolog.
2. For breakfast you have 3 carbs (45 grams). Your ratio is 1 u/10 grams CHO. How much would you bolus? (in units).
Now he would give himself 5 units of Humolog would it be different with bolus.
3. You are taking 3 units for supper to cover the carbs you will consume. Your correction scale is :
150-22 +2u, 201-250 +3u, 251-300 +4u, over 300 +5u.
Your blood sugar is 117, how much insulin will you need to bolus in units?
4. Your basal rate is 0.9 u/hr. How much basal insulin will you receive in a day? in units
5. Your basal rate is 0.5 u/hr from 2 am until 6 am. The rest of the day it is 1 u/hr. How much insulin will you receive in a day in units.
6. Your insulin to carb ratio is 1u/CHO (15 grams). Your correction scale is BG greater than 150, add 0.5 unit for every 50 points ie: 150-200 + 0.5u, 201-250 + 1.0u, 251-300 + 1.5u etc.
Your am blood sugar is 173 and you are having 4 carb choices (60 grams) for breakfast. How many units total (Ratio plus correction) will you need to bolus in units
At lunch your blood sugar is 116. You are going to eat 5 carbs (75 grams). How much would you bolus in units
At dinner your blood sugar is 347. You are slightly sick to your stomach so you are only going to eat 2 carbs. How much will you bolus. What else must you do? (I know check ketones).
Thanks for the help