CRRAAZZYYY metabolism and energy absorption rate calculations!

Hey guys, i have recently been working on metabolism and energy as my variables to control, by doing this i have locked in my personal numbers, yours may vary from mine if you try to recreate these tests.

SOOO my theory began at my diagnosis, i took losing my pancreas as a challenge to out-perform the human body and achieve better metabolism control and steadier energy absorption rates than a standard human through extremely context sensitive calculations and a very disciplined daily regiment. 

My first step was to recognize my diminishing returns number range (the number range where insulin resistance increased dramatically and carbs raised my blood glucose at lower speed due to slowed metabolism) I found this number to be between 171 and 180 mg/dL, about 1.6 times the energy reserve of a top level athlete. Next i had to begin lowering my insulin resistance by bringing my body fat % to below 9% and eating 80 grams of carbs a day max (this took about 2 months and resulted in a dosage of only 8 lantus units a day with a 1 unit to 30 carbs ratio for short acting) 

By lowering my insulin numbers i was able to slow the rate at which my cells absorbed blood glucose (or as i call it, instant energy, meaning energy that is available without any digestion of food, fat or muscle). By mixing this incredibly slow energy consumption with an "instant energy" reserve that was 1.6 times the amount provided to a standard human, i began achieving things like running for miles without ever feeling tired, ending 6 mile runs at 155 mg/dL with more than enough energy to keep running for hours before feeling a hint of physical exhaustion. 

I now can operate for 30 hours without any sleep on only 1,200 calories due to the energy absorption rate and increased instant energy reserve. This helps for endurance challenges like mountain climbing/trekking!

I can also use the "adverse effect" number range to get extreme boosts of instant energy for improved speed and agility. I accomplish this by boosting my blood glucose up to 195 (my max mg/dL before exercise adversely affects blood sugar by raising it instead of lowering it) and switching to a ratio of 1 units of short acting insulin to every 50 carbs. The reason for the carb ratio increase is that i only get these carbs from wheat bread which is naturally rich in niacin, thiamine and riboflavin, all of which dramatically increase metabolism. This ratio only works while doing strength activities like sprints, lifting weights or manual labor but makes you into a super human with a gigantic instant energy reserve and very high rate of absorption of energy (metabolism) to avoid exhaustion from strenuous activity. Between these two variables you can use large amounts of blood glucose in short periods of time for bursts of extreme strength. My first time trying this theory, i knocked 45 seconds off my mile time (down to 4:50! :D) without feeling any difference in exhaustion compared to previous times!

These are cool theories that have to be approached with extreme caution and require a lot of discipline to practice safely but i wanted to share them here because they are an example of how diabetes always pushes you to be better and try harder. Also, i know you guys actually care while normal people don't get what the heck i'm talking about lol

Also here is me on top of a 10k peak that i climbed 3 days ago at Lake Tahoe Nevada! Of course rocking the blue bandana for all diabetics :)

That's really admirable Scott.  You have got everything dialed in for top notch athletic performance.  I'm not sure those of us double your age could match your results though.  Call me in 25 years and let me know :)  I'm happy enough if I figure out how to compensate for the rates of insulin absorption and digestion well enough to avoid major peaks and valleys in blood glucose.

Very good mile time, Scott, I think my best was around 5 flat in hs track and that was before t1.  And sub 9% body fat, sounds like you have some great discipline.

For me the bs usually raises when I do more intense workouts like fast running.  On the other hand it will lower when doing lighter workouts such as walking or easier running.  

Overall the heavier workouts do increase metabolism and decrease the amount of fast acting units you have to take.

Very impressive research, discipline, and a great accomplishment!  Keep up the good work, what you do shows that great health can happen when you decide you want to take care of yourself, and help others.

I'm interested in hearing how you calculated blood levels of insulin and other metabolic hormones affecting metabolism both at rest and while exercising.  Or if you measured these levels or have additional hypothesis regarding cell absorption of BG.  In my estimation cell absorption is largely a factor of biologically available insulin. For me BS goes up with strenuous exercise with well controlled basal insulin and zero bolus insulin on board.  And this is expected since the body uses glucagon and other energy sources to provide energy for the cells.  But without Insulin that energy just floats through the bloodstream until the kidneys send it through the bladder.  I won't be surprised if your ketone levels are high and body weight is dropping - and thus low bodyfat.  This is far - very far - from suggesting it is healthy for the human body.

JAudio-

From what I can gather (correct me if I'm wrong Scott) he is in peak physical condition.  Once a person is accustomed to a specific workout their body becomes very efficient and uses much less glucose/glycogen than you'd expect.  So they don't have the highs and lows that exercise can cause the rest of us mere mortals.  =)

I remember reading an article on a professional rock climber with diabetes who said he didn't have to carb load and didn't have lows on all day climbs.  His body was so conditioned he used very little glucose/glycogen.

Because Scott's daily insulin is so low and he's not taking meal boluses, his body is likely making insulin.  The Joslin Clinic's 50 Year study said that the majority of longtime type 1 diabetics still do.

-Jenna

I think not having lows on all day climbs just as any other lifestyle habit is a result of keeping the routine and basal levels in check.  Scott, I don't know what you are referring to when you talk about "energy reserve" levels?  Or how the elevated BG levels correlate to lowering metabolism - or if that is the desired effect.  Are you pushing your body toward a false hybernation?  That's sort of how adkins and every other low carb diet works.  Our body adapts to the routine of diet and exercise.  But I think ketoacidosis needs to be kept in check.  

hey guys, Jenna has it pretty much spot on, its all discipline and EXTREME calculating, as fellow type 1 diabetics you all understand that our metabolism changes everyday according to how much insulin we take (i do 10 units of lantus instead of 8 when i know i am going to have a high calorie/low activity day so that i have higher metabolism) that being said, you can control and monitor all other effects on metabolism by keeping a very very strict and consistent workout plan and daily % intake of vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin and thiamine. Only because i am so OCD about these stats can i get my results to be so consistent.

JAudio i'm going to try to answer your questions, post again if you feel i haven't covered anything you want to know more about.

"Energy levels" refers to a calculation that includes: current long acting insulin, amount of immediate glucose available in blood-my energy reserves if you will*, how much exercise i plan to do, how many grams of protein and carbs are available in my body for digestion based energy AND how many grams of dietary fiber i have ingested that day-basically calculate how extreme blood sugar drops are and how fast the BG will be absorbed by my cells across the day* for obvious reasons i just say "energy levels" because that is a mouth full of variables lol.

High BG has a very direct effect on metabolism, this is because of "diminishing returns" as i mentioned in the original post. "Diminishing returns" refers to the point at which your blood sugar has gotten high enough that your insulin resistance goes up as well, for me it is 190 mg/dL. The raising of insulin resistance will also slow your metabolism, as your body becomes lethargic and tired from the thickening of your blood stream due to high BG.

My diet is very very close to Adkins diet but is much more complicated because us type 1's have to fight off hypoglycemic episodes by choosing very specific types of carbs and how much fiber is in those chosen carbs. but yes, i am on a low carb/high protein diet.

As for the ketone issues, your very right. Something that no one on here knows yet is that i kept working full time until i collapsed at work from D.K.A. and had a severe heart attack 3 days after diagnosis because i was so messed up numbers wise (my triglyceride reading was 1,682! lol) for this reason i am very anal about ketone testing, i test once a week and have not had even a trace amount since being discharged after diagnosis. I accomplish this by 1 meal a day. This meal includes 2 servings of V8 juice, a niacin pill and 1 ultra starchy potato. The niacin mixed with the high amount of insoluble fiber leads to an EXTREEEME flush of all ketones and toxins in my system, avoiding DKA very effectively, and its better than drinking charcoal, which i do some days if i cant afford the time for my meal.

As for how to affect the cell absorption of glucose, you are right, insulin is the only true catalyst for causing an increase or decrease of glucose absorption. Insulin however is only a catalyst that gets the ball rolling, after that, the main contributing factors are your physical activity and the amount of dietary fiber you ingest during that day (mostly the soluble fiber gram count)

This approach is borderline unhealthy for only 1 real reason. Mentally it can be crippling, i live with a bipolar disease named cyclothymia which results in hypermania for about 6 days a week on average. My approach is a mix of military with a cocktail of psychotic focus, this is why i know it will not work for just anyone and i recognize that.

To be honest i will just put up some pictures to explain the hard work and discipline it takes to reach my level of control, which as i just stated, is not mentally normal or recommended:

My monitor-

My last HbA1c test (1/31/13)-

My physique (no i aint flexin lol)-

My style is safe in terms of physical health, you just need a mind that can keep up, and no i'm not posting these pictures to boast, i get too humbled by type 1 every day to be a prick like that, i'm just giving people examples of what you have to do in order to have great control of your diabetes.

Thanks for the questions, i love you guys and always am thinking of my family here on typeonenation, i don't know what i would do without you guys!

-scott