Dandruff May Be A problem With Diabetes

I'm not completely sure I believe this, but a diabetic friend does. Dandruff is caused by a kind of yeast and sugar causes the yeast to grow. So having low blood sugar helps prevent dandruff. This is all new to me. Wash your hair in apple cider vinegar and it kills the yeast and your dandruff is gone. Repeat once every two weeks. Use lots of shampoo after the vinegar wash to help eliminate the smell.

I had terrible dandruff while growing up, and well into my adulthood. The dandruff stopped about the time I found I should eat low carb. I was eating far fewer carbs/sugar and the dandruff disappeared. Maybe there is something to this.

I prefer vinegar in my salad, but if I ever have dandruff again, maybe I should pour some over my hair as well, but not at the same time I am eating my salad. That could get very messy.

Sysy Morales wrote the blog about dandruff and vinegar. Here is her blog:

http://www.thegirlsguidetodiabetes.com     Dandruff May Be A Complication With Diabetes
I'm not completely sure I believe this, but a diabetic friend does. Dandruff is caused by a kind of yeast and sugar causes the yeast to grow. So having low blood sugar helps prevent dandruff. This is all new to me. Wash your hair in apple cider vinegar and it kills the yeast and your dandruff is gone. Repeat once every two weeks. Use lots of shampoo after the vinegar wash to help eliminate the smell.

I had terrible dandruff while growing up, and well into my adulthood. The dandruff stopped about the time I found I should eat low carb. I was eating far fewer carbs/sugar and the dandruff disappeared. Maybe there is something to this.

I prefer vinegar in my salad, but if I ever have dandruff again, maybe I should pour some over my hair as well, but not at the same time I am eating my salad. That could get very messy.

Sysy Morales wrote the blog about dandruff and vinegar. Here is her blog:

http://thegirlsguidetodiabetes.com/

i thought dandruff was just caused by a dry scalp? i know nothing about dandruff. 

Dandruff can be caused by excessively dry skin or by a fungal infection. Elevated glucose levels dry out the skin, which could result in dandruff. People with poorly controlled diabetes are also more likely to develop fungal infections. Vinegar has been used to treat fungal infections, so it may work.

You guys are cracking me up -- Gross!

What I've found over the years, is because D is a systemic illness, no matter WHAT is wrong with you the dr will say, "Oh, you're at an increase risk for that b/c of the diabetes." I just ignore it b/c how is that really helpful?

Ok, off to itch my fungus... JK!

If youse guys decide to do the vinegar thing, be sure to take a few swallows while you are at it. Vinegar is known to lower your blood sugar.

How about that Sarah? lol

"maybe I should pour some over my hair as well, but not at the same time I am eating my salad. That could get very messy." 

LOL

[quote user="Sarah"]

What I've found over the years, is because D is a systemic illness, no matter WHAT is wrong with you the dr will say, "Oh, you're at an increase risk for that b/c of the diabetes." I just ignore it b/c how is that really helpful?

[/quote]

Amen, sister.  You're speaking major truth there.

I love how the back of every medication bottle has "Contact your doctor before taking if you have diabetes", or how reading up on every condition diabetes causes an elevated risk.  Cool.  I mean, really, we're supposed to pay attention to those warnings?  If you heeded all those warnings you wouldn't be able to live life.

I never had dandruff before I had diabetes and this past year was the worst ever. It like came out of nowhere. I had to start using head and shoulders! Hmmm vinegar LOL