Daughter won't wear her CGM

My ten year old got a CGM in May and after wearing it a couple weeks is refusing to use it. SHe says she hates it because it's ugly.

She was at a school swim party and a girl started touching her sensor and asking what it was. 

My wife is sympathetic to her about this but I would really like her to wear it. If I can find a way to put a decorative skin on it

or hide it better with summer clothes she might use it again. 

Any suggestions?

as a girl going out and wearing a bikini at any type of swim party is embarrassing when you have tubes hanging out of your body im 15 and still tend to try to wear tshirts until i have to get in the water at parties where i dont know anyone but when its just my friends they dont care anymore she could wear tankinis that hide her stomach or put stickers on it. good luck!

I;m not allowed to wear bikinis......

Terry - what places has she worn the sensor? I agree that stomach/legs/arms are more "out there"; maybe on her hip or bum would be more discreet. That's where my CGM sensors are, a lot of times.

So far she has worn it on the back of her arm over the tricep and once on her tummy. The girl touched it when it was on her arm. It is kind of big so I don't see a way to hide it much in the summer.

My daughter is 11 and usually wears it on her arm as well (we just get much better readings there). At first the attention bothered her, but she got over that pretty quickly. It's hard to wear your difference where everyone can see, though my daughter is pretty used to it because she's always got her pump visible too. Anyway, it really helped when she first started wearing the CGM to let her see other kids wearing theirs. A friend of mine has a 2-year old who also wears it on her arm. I think she figured if a two year old wasn't complaining, maybe she shouldn't either. I don't know if it will help, but there's a picture of my daughter proudly displaying both her CGM and sensor on my blog: tightropetango.blogspot.com/.../sometimes-day-goes-so-well-that-it-is.html

I will show that pic to my daughter. I hope it motivates her!

Is your daughter having surprise lows or highs that make the CGM necessary?  

I know it's a cool gadget, but I've personally never liked them and won't wear one.  Since I already wear a pump adding the CGM made me feel like a science experiment.  I don't mind just the pump.  

Jenna,

I don’t think it’s strictly necessary, but I also see that kids tend to have more extremes than adults – and often aren’t as good at recognizing the symptoms. I bought my daughter a CGM with the idea that we’d stick it on her periodically to help us test her basal and see what her numbers are doing overnight and such – but we’ve all loved it so much that it hasn’t come off since. For Sarah, it keeps her from having embarrassing moments in front of her peers – because she often doesn’t feel her lows until she’s so low she doesn’t remember what the treatment is. This happened in school awhile ago, when she was sitting in a reading class, and when it came to her turn to read, she couldn’t remember how! That was her first symptom. Scary! The CGM helps her feel safe. She is in the habit now of checking it whenever it vibrates, and she's learning to take action based on that. It's also been incredibly accurate most of the time.

I know tons of kids who do without them and do fine, but I know that for us, it’s been an incredibly valuable asset. Since she’s had the CGM we have had much less extreme numbers. If she sees she’s heading towards low, <80, she just eats a little bit if a meal isn’t imminent. If she crosses the 200 line, she usually gives herself a small correction and then watches. (Yes, she’s testing to confirm) – Her average for the last few weeks has been in the low 130’s, with no extreme lows, and I think her highest has been around 250. These are by far the best numbers we’ve seen since diagnosis.

Hey Michelle-

I'm so glad the CGM works so well for your daughter.  I know a lot of diabetics are big fans of them.  I was just sharing another perspecitve, that they aren't for everyone.  A child or adult can have fine diabetes control without one.

What's most important for any diabetic is to determine what they are willing to do to manage diabetes.  Everyone does it differently.  It's a delicate balance, between not being incapacitate by off blood sugars and finding what works long term.  That balance is always changing too... when I was teenager I rarely tested, now as an adult I feel weird if I don't check on my blood sugar 5-6 times a day.  It sounds like your daughter has found a lot ways to manage her blood sugar, which is so great.  One of the blessings of being diabetic is that it makes a person a really quick and creative problem solver.  

The newly diagnosed girl doesn't sound like she wants a CGM.  Unless there's a pressing medical need to get one then it's probably not the right time.  Frankly she's probably a pretty good CGM herself right now... most diabetics can feel a blood sugar drop for a good 10-15 years after diagnosis.  After being diabetic longer they often lose the physiological response to a low, espcially if blood sugars are often high or low.  I had severe hypo unawareness after I'd been diabetic about 25 years, but thankfully got an insulin pump and the problem reversed itself. 

We all have our own experience of living with diabetes.  It's always cool to come to these forums and see how many different ways we've all found to deal with it.  

Take care.   -Jenna

Hey Jenna,

I totally agree with you. It’s absolutely a personal choice. But I do think sometimes kids need to be encouraged, especially if the parents feel it’s necessary. In my case, I was getting so little sleep before the CGM because I was constantly waking up and feeling the need to check on her. Yep, totally know that it’s mostly irrational, but she’s my baby and not knowing (and hearing horror stories about kids dropping to dangerously low levels during sleep) resulted in a bit of extra paranoia for me. Also, Sarah’s had a few lows at night (not recently) and has never woken from them – so I have no confidence that a dangerous low would wake her so she could wake me.

I don’t know that Sarah was too excited about a CGM in the beginning either. It’s another site (and a bigger one that we’ve had more issues with, skin wise), and another piece of technology she has to carry. She’s starting to look like Batman with all the gadgets on her utility belt! But for both of us, the piece of mind is worth the inconvenience.

I just think that if the parents feel it’s necessary, it’s good to find a way to encourage giving it a go. When Sarah was first diagnosed, I took her to meet a girl about her age. She saw the girls pump and from that moment forward, worked her butt off to get one. When we were considering the CGM, I showed her blogs and posts of kids/adults with their CGM’s and it helped her feel more comfortable with giving it a try. I thought maybe seeing another young girl with a CGM would help another get over that initial fear.

I agree that these forums are amazing, love hearing all the different perspectives! It’s been an incredible help to us over the last months!