Defiant Teenager Refusing to Test

Has anyone had experience with a teenager who just refuses to test time after time? My son is 14, soon to be 15, and lies about testing and makes all kinds of promises. But the minute we give him a little rope, he hangs himself every time. I can understand it being hard as far as not eating too many carbs or eating with friends and not dosing. But the continual not testing. He is very angry. Thanks for any input anyone may have. He was diagnosed in May of 2014.

Our son is 15. He was diagnosed at a year old, so he’s been doing this for a very long time now. He has gone through periods where he lies to us about testing. I started really worrying about it, but I found several posts on another forum that said the worse thing to do is punish a kid who is doing this. Instead we sat down and had an honest conversation about it. We told him how sick of it all he must be and that we knew it was overwhelming to do it day in and day out. We asked him how we can help him more. We talked for about an hour and a half that day a couple of months ago. I told him to just not lie to me about it. I promised to not get mad about any of it if he would promise no more lies.

If he hasn’t checked, he hasn’t checked. But be honest with us about it. If he wants us to check him or change his site for a while (when he’s at home) then we do. He was needing a break from doing it all himself. It seems to have helped. He’s now telling us the truth about checking. And seems to be listening better when I give him suggestions on basal changes and things. I think we were making it worse by getting mad at him for not checking or lying to us. I know every situation is different. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

HI, I am not sure how helpful this may be. My son after 8 years decided that he will refuse insulin and just not eat as He is burnt out. We countered that with you are getting the insulin anyways so you should just eat or you will be hungry and we will have to then give you another shot. He choses to eat now and get 1 shot, but it must be hard to walk in their shoes. I read an article out of a similar situation with children with food allergies, becoming teens and not wanting to disclose their medical condition and then took chances with what they ate risking an allergic reaction. You may be able to google it and see if you can find it. I think it appeared to explained the immature teen brain and not making good logical decisions and how it may also impact the brain of a teen diabetic in similar risk taking actions of refusing to test blood sugars or in our case be given insulin so a teen refusing to eat. Its is very frustrating and we hope that your son starts to assist his diabetes care and you and him face less stress. We all walk alongside you even if a little behind as we may walk in your same footpath in diabetes in our children so thank you for sharing this and Best wishes for both of you! L