Diabetes and Life

Hi I’m new here I live in the UK.

Hi yes I had glandular fever really bad. And I reckon this started mine off.

@Libby66 Hello! Sorry I’m late to the party, but how are you holding up? :slight_smile:

Hi yes plodding on as you do :thinking: how are you doing?

Hi, Hannah, I’d love to answer some questions!

Products I use: I have the Dexcom G6 and the omnipod.
How long have I had this disease: 2 years I was diagnosed at 12
things I have had to give up: I haven’t had to give up anything yet i thought when i would be older i might wanted to join the military but having Type one I can’t but i think i’m okay with that.
foods: I haven’t given up foods i just choose not to eat to much sweeties because i want to manage my disease well and live a long time.
becoming diabetic: I had gotten the flu both type A and B. I went into DKA and was in a coma for three days the doctors thought i would never wake up.
A1C: I was 10 something when i got diagnosed and my A1C before i got the CGM and Pump was 6.1 that is lowest i have been so far that i know :laughing:
I am trying desperately to keep it down but at my last appointment i was 6.8. Which according to my doctor is really good, but i am striving to get it down much lower. I’m 14 now and actually i have a sister who is 23 and graduating college this year. My email is Bqpower12@gmail.com. If you ever want to talk!

2 Likes

Hi Eve @EveBq, that is a real “OUCH”!!! at the time of your diagnosis. From what else you have written, I offer you two “thumbs up” for your willingness to take seriously the task of managing your diabetes - you are doing great.

I really like your attitude - so positive. Now if you’re willing to accept a thought from an old timer who has lived with fairly well with diabetes for more than 60 years, don’t let numbers [A1c changing from 6.1 to 6.8; both in-range] bother you but rather use them to guide future decisions. Consider “your history” too, in addition to looking at food, insulin and your activity; if your A1c was recent, it encompasses the winter months where your outside activity may have decreased and also a bunch of holidays that you enjoyed. What I’m trying to say, enjoy living and your life, don’t let diabetes keep you from doing anything [practical] that you want to do, and use numbers like the 6.8 to guide adjustments. Remember too that lab tests can at times be a bit-off in accuracy.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! That’s really appreciated.

@EveBq Awesome! For being diagnosed with it for only two years, your confidence is boosting and filled with positivity. I will definitely contact you via email soon! Be looking out for a Gmail account with my hstanford in it! :yum:

What kind of products do y’all use for your diabetes I’ve been using Dexcom for about 6 years. I still use insulin pens and have never been on a pump.

How long have you had this disease? 15 years this month

Has having diabetes caused you to give up certain activities, foods, or anything else? : No, it hasn’t .It has made me more conscious of what I’m eating and keep a healthier diet than I probably would if I didn’t have it. Figuring out how to incorporate exercise has been somewhat of a struggle for me, but I’d say I’m figuring it out. I will say I’ve found it is much easier for me to control when I’m eating lower carb overall. I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy and baby who is now almost a year and a half old.

What does your endo consider an in-range blood sugar? I set relatively aggressive in-range alerts on my Dexcom 65-140 and try to treat if it goes above or below.

How did you become diabetic and what is your A1C now? The only thing my endocrinologist said could have happened at diagnosis was that it could have been a result of a weird virus I had as a toddler that was dormant within my body until a bad breakup as a teenager caused me to have a bit of an eating disorder that triggered it. I also had a great-grandfather that had type-1.

How old were you when diagnosed and how old are you now? 16, currently 31.

Hi.
I was diagnosed in 2008 and i was 6 years old now I’m about to turn 18. Growing up i fought it for years until about a year ago i finally came to an acceptance of it. I used to let my type 1 control my life and happiness. I used to let it stop me from achieving the things i wanted to. Using a dexcom drastically changed my way of managing for the better. I am now about to graduate high school and pursue my dream of becoming a paramedic. Not letting my diabetes get in the way or to my head is honestly how i get through it. i guess I’ve kinda talked my brain into thinking it’s not a disease or illness that’s its just a part of me. Having diabetes is pretty much all i know so i don’t know any different.

2 Likes

Ok great! I will await your email lol

1 Like

In my eyes, Sarah @kmaoitsjj, you have made the very highest step in “ruling” your diabetes. Yes, as you have found out, diabetes will be with you forever [I’m not giving up on “cure” work] , so it is up to you to make diabetes fit in to your lifestyle and to NOT let diabetes prevent you from achieving.

There isn’t anything you can not do just because you have diabetes.

1 Like

@EveBq I just sent you an email! :slight_smile:

What kind of products? a Dexcom g6 and MDI (Humalog and Lantus)

How long have you had this disease? a little over a year

Has having diabetes caused you to give up certain activities, foods, or anything else? Not at all.

What does your endo consider an in-range blood sugar? My endo considers in range to be between 70 and 150 mg/dl. I honestly don’t really listen to them and while I leave those to be the official in range numbers on my Dexcom (as it makes it easier for them since I share my data with Clarity), I personally use 55 - 120 as a desirable range.

How did you become diabetic and what is your A1C now? I went in because I had lost a good deal of weight and was peeing and drinking a ton. As a naturally thin person (128lbs @ 5’10’’), and a XC runner and a cyclist, when I had lost 20 pounds and was struggling to put down any power on the bike in addition to the excessive drinking and peeing, I went into the doctor’s. I wasn’t sick at the time of diagnoses. My current a1c is 5.3%. My best a1c was 5.1%.

How old were you when diagnosed? 16

how old are you now? 17

What kind of products? Freestyle Libre sensor and Novalog & Tresiba pens

How long have you had this disease? 15 years

Has having diabetes caused you to give up certain activities, foods, or anything else? No!

What does your endo consider an in-range blood sugar? My endo considers in range to be between 80 and 180.

How did you become diabetic and what is your A1C now? I have had T1D since I was 4 and my parents noticed I was very thirsty and was using the restroom frequently. I am in good shape: I work out daily and eat clean but my A1C has always been high. Last visit it was 9.1

How old were you when diagnosed? 4

How old are you now? 19