Diabetes and the CDC

The following quote comes to us from the CDC (Center For Disease Control).

"Chronic diseases – such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and arthritis – are among the most common, costly, and preventable of all health problems in the U.S."

What do you folks think about that ? I especially disagree with our being able to prevent diabetes, and some of the other diseases too.

http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/overview/index.htm

common and costly are accurate. they are obviously talking about type 2 when they say preventable (though i would add "potentially" because of course there are genetic factors in there). 

so i guess i agree with the statement. 90% of diabetics are type 2, so it's a fairly safe assumption to say most cases are potentially preventable.

It drives me CRAZY that type 1 is always grouped with type 2 , very different and alot of misconception

I disagree as well. Many chronic illnesses are caused by genetics. There are some things people can do to reduce the risk or severity of chronic illness but things can happen randomly that are out of their control.

It is unfair to blame the population for getting chronic illnesses and costing the government money. Many people are struggling to keep their bills paid and food on the table. They don't even have the luxury of improving their health.

If the government truly wants to prevent as many illnesses as it can it will educate the population and provide more incentives to become healthy.

Mark, that is an excellent reply, thanks!

Hello I tend to disagree with most people about prevention of diseases, especially Diabetes of either type. I am a thirty year veteran of type 1 Diabetes. I did not cause my illness. I was born perfectly healthy,with a normally functioning Pancreas. Then I was innoculated and vaccinated, and at 4.5 years my Pediatrician told my parents that I am insulin dependent. So does that help at all. I NEVER get any injection EXCEPT insulin or Glucagon if needed. My state Pennsylvania, thankfully lets me decide not to get anymore shots ever. Type 2 on the other hand is caused by many factors, improper diet ,stress handling, not enough sleep, even lagre amounts of caffeine alter ones blood sugar readings. Thats just the tip of the iceburg, there are many other factors, that may play a part in this. Here is a great book I found in a used bookstore.

Body, Mind, and Sugar. E.M Abrahamson, M.D. and A.W. Pezet. Published 1951. New York    :   Holt, Rinehart, Winston.

Another book on How Vaccinations are harmful is. Vaccination is Not Immunization, by Dr. Tim O'Shea, DC

available from The Winer Wellness Center (412)922-9355. I hope this helps.

I would also have to question how arthritis is preventable.

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

"Chronic diseases – such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and arthritis – are among the most common, costly, and preventable of all health problems in the U.S."

What do you folks think about that ? I especially disagree with our being able to prevent diabetes, and some of the other diseases too.

[/quote]

Cancer, Diabetes , and arthritis are recessive genetic disorders just as autism, Cystic Fibrosis and Down syndrome. (thank you science class)  So truly I don't think they could be prevented

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I find it frustrating that diabetes is grouped together with no mention of type one or two, but this statement does not bother me one bit. They are not saying that these chronic diseases are preventable, just that they are among the most preventable. I understand that no type one ever did anything to cause their diagnosis, and that goes for many type twos as well. However, there are people who do not take care of their health, people who continually smoke, not exercise, and eat ridiculous diets. These are common risk factors for things like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Therefore, in many cases, these problems can be prevented with proper health care. Remember, the CDC is not saying that chronic diseases are preventable in all or even most cases, they are saying that in the entire spectrum of disease, these are some of the most preventable. I would have to agree with them, and as out country moves closer to universal health care, we, as citizens, should begin to recognize and act on these ideas.

Just my thoughts, I figure I will be on the minority on this one.

Judging by the replies here, it seems like most people are not bothered by this, but I'm not even going to water it down...this statement infuriates me.  In my opinion, the misconception that type 1 diabetes is preventable is the most damaging idea in regard to public perception of our disease.  Some may say "who cares what the public thinks of our disease?  they don't have it, so they don't have to know about it."  Well, I don't expect every member of society to have a detailed and accurate knowledge of the disease, but the public's overall perception of type 1 does have an impact on our disease and how we are treated in various situations.

For example, think about your Congress person...does he or she have any sort of medical background that would assure that they had an accurate knowledge of type 1 diabetes?  I know mine doesn't...but he's the guy who gets to vote on things like whether or not type 1 diabetes research funding gets passed.  If he thinks that ALL types of diabetes are preventable, maybe he won't be as likely to fund that research.  People are not as sympathetic to those with diseases that could have been avoided.

Next, did anyone hear about that type 1 diabetic guy who is now in a permanent vegetative state because he was denied his insulin in prison?  The prison guards noted in his file that he could control his diabetes with diet and exercise.  He went into DKA, went into a coma, and likely will never come out.  He was arrested on a minor drug charge.  The fact that type 1 and type 2 diabetes share a name, and that most people know nothing about type 1 and lots about type 2 is a huge part of the reason that this even happened.  Those prison guards wouldn't even have thought of the words "controlled with diet and exercise" in regard to type 1 if type 2 didn't exist or had a different name.  Lack of knowledge about type 1, especially when confused with type 2, can be dangerous.

There are many more examples I could go into, but I wont.  The point is, agencies like the CDC who are regarded as reliable and accurate sources of medical information need to do WAY more to distinguish between type 1 and type 2, especially when talking about prevention and treatment.  Public opinion does matter, and the information that the CDC puts out there greatly impacts it.

Molly

Please feel to disagree with me all you want. It is still a free country. If we are to be temples as God wants us to be, then why do a lot of us accept what our doctors' tell us or prescribe us as the best or only option. I only take Humalog via the Paradigm infusion pump and Advair Diskus and rarely use my rescue inhaler. So am I the one who is clueless? I think not my overall excellent health proves my point. I do eat some meat, a lot of vegetables, sometimes 9 servings a day. My father died if heart disease. Funny how mine is healthy. He smoked, drank, and I chose not too. I avoid white flower, white bread, white rice and white potatoes as much as possible. Remarkably my blood glucose readings and my asthma are easier to handle. I personally chose not to get a flu shot and I Don't get the flu. Good luck and God bless.

John' we follow the exact same routine....I use Humalog in the MM 522, I eat meat veggies and fruit, I never smoked or drank alcohol, I eat whole grain bread, but I do eat a half cup serving of white potatoes or corn. I have not had a flu shot since the early 1980s and have only occasionally had a mild cold or flu. I am very healthy after 65 years of T1D. We are very much alike! I wish you continued success!!!

[quote user="Dan"]

Don't get me wrong, I find it frustrating that diabetes is grouped together with no mention of type one or two, but this statement does not bother me one bit. They are not saying that these chronic diseases are preventable, just that they are among the most preventable. I understand that no type one ever did anything to cause their diagnosis, and that goes for many type twos as well. However, there are people who do not take care of their health, people who continually smoke, not exercise, and eat ridiculous diets. These are common risk factors for things like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Therefore, in many cases, these problems can be prevented with proper health care. Remember, the CDC is not saying that chronic diseases are preventable in all or even most cases, they are saying that in the entire spectrum of disease, these are some of the most preventable. I would have to agree with them, and as out country moves closer to universal health care, we, as citizens, should begin to recognize and act on these ideas.

Just my thoughts, I figure I will be on the minority on this one.

[/quote]

I agree - I think the ultimate point of this statement was to emphasize the importance of eating well and exercising adequately to help reduce the risk of many diseases that are more prevalent in unhealthy, overweight people.  I do think that it's funny that the CDC generally uses the term "chronic diseases" because it seems like the majority of chronic diseases (which I take to mean all diseases that people constantly live with) are not primarily prevented by simply being healthy.  

Great, I wish you continued success also. I just want to go back to my life before the constant fingersticks and insulin. It gets old around 20 years. But I can't quit now. I am too stubborn to give in yet. Where is your book available at?

I posted a reply to you Richard, but I forgot to use your name, sorry. Please let me know where your book is available. Thanks again. John.

It doesn't bug me and I think the people who have stated that also made some really good points as to why, so I won't bother explaining myself =D

Ugh, even the CDC is making grand statements about "diabetes."  Some (not all) cases of type 2 are preventable.  On type 1, we have absolutely no clue how to prevent it.

Thanks, CDC.

All of the others, especially cancer and arthritis, also seem to be over generalizations.  If a smoker gets lung cancer, that was most likely preventable.  But if someone who leads a reasonably healthy lifestyle gets cancer, I'm betting it was most likely not preventable.  I bet my college friend who got lymphatic cancer during high school wouldn't appreciate being told she probably could have prevented her cancer.