Diabetes Service Dog

There was a local newspaper article about a type 1 woman who uses a service dog to alert her of low blood sugars.  I don't understand why a CGM wouldn't be more effective, but appreciated the well written article about a diabetes issue.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=370&articleid=20101122_38_D1_CUTLIN875069&archive=yes

CGMs aren't always accurate, where as a dog is trained to sense chemical changes in blood sugar by smell. They're pretty much always right :o) 

Dogs are much cuddlier than a cgm

CGMs cannot fetch your slippers.

C, did you post this under Jenna's name? -- we know you want a puppy!

[quote user="Sarah"]

C, did you post this under Jenna's name? -- we know you want a puppy!

[/quote]

Ha ha!!!  You can run, C, but you can't hide!

I have two dogs, labrador retrievers.  The one, the older one, pays no attention to me when my BGs are wacky.  The younger one, 6 years old, is funny:  if I'm having a low, I sometimes lay on the couch (sofa!) while I wait for my BG to rise.  Instead of hopping up to cuddle with me (oh, did I say "lab", perhaps I meant "lap" dogs!), she just sits beside me on the floor, almost like she's waiting for me to feel better.  I've always thought it was strange, but pretty neat too!

It is true they can be trained and dogs don't have a "sensor fail" in the middle of the night...just sayin :)

[quote user="Kim"]

[/quote]

Dogs can fetch other things too!

[quote user="Dan"]

[quote user="Kim"]

[/quote]

Dogs can fetch other things too!

[/quote]

Oops I forgot to add this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiCcAQQI5YI

LOL...  now THAT is my idea of a Service Dog!!!  Only problem, just like my husband, I don't think he closed the fridge all the way.  But I'm thinking the dog would be easier to train than the hubby!  Thanks Dan!

Haaaaa! Yes, I do love doggies. And yes, I'm currently attempting to manipulate my parents into getting me a puppy (or 12). Funny, because I was thinking about how handy a diabetes service dog would be... Not only would it help me with my blood sugars, it could love me and cuddle me and play with me too! 

I wish I could get one for Ri. She is a big animal lover and well I would feel better her having one.

We got a diabetic alert dog about a month ago (yellow lab about 5 months old) and are in the training process.  It is a LOT of training and is not easy but hopefully worth it in the end...we have been learning  / teaching basic obedience and public access training, just now starting on the scent training.  I'll let you know how it goes!

We have a service dog AND a cgm.  The sevice dog beats out the CGM every time.  He can smell not only when a blood sugar is low...but also when a blood sugar is dropping fast.  CGM alarms are so quiet they don't wake my boys at night...my dog licks my face and I'm up like a shot.  These dogs truly are amazing.  I have 3 boys that have t1, and I actully sleep pretty good most nights.  THAT is a miracle in itself!

We got our guy from dogs4diabetics and he was free of charge.  He ws career changed from Guide Dogs for the Blind, so he is an angel.  He is easier to bring grocery shopping than my boys.  :)

All very good points.  Actually like cats better myself, but can't picture mine being very helpful (though the cat does come get me if my son wakes early when I'm in another part of the house).   

I'm not C, but if she wants a dog we could all chip in and get her one for Christmas!

We had a Golden Retriever when I was a teenager, and she always knew when my bs was low, usually even before I did.  And she wasn't even trained!

Dan, love the clip!

C, shall we start you a puppy fund? ;)

Through a local support group for Type One families, I met a woman whose toddler has a diabetes alert dog. Ruby (the dog) has been a real life-saver. Here is just one news story about them (but read the corrections at the bottom of the page if you want accuracy):

http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/diabetic-dog-108033609.html

[quote user="jessicola"]

C, shall we start you a puppy fund? ;)

[/quote]

YES! :o)

A few weeks ago I had a low blood sugar seizure and while my husband was getting the glucagon, one of my dogs was hopping on my chest and licking my face trying to wake me up. I know that wouldn't technically help, but I appreciate her concern! =) She always gets up with me in the middle of the night too if I have a problem with my pump or need a snack... but that all might be because I give her Milkbones for being such a faithful friend! (My other dog is the opposite, he is not overly concerned with me haha)

I would love to have a service dog it could keep me company when im alone wich is offten now. And with how my sugars have been probably life saveing.