Did it take you long?

Hey pump users!

So I have been on the Paradigm pump for about 2 weeks now and the first two weeks were good, adjusting to it and what not, I knew the settings werent perfect because I was running a bit high (150-170) range and my target is 100. So my doctor adjusted them yesterday and today has been a rollercoaster!! down to the 70's then up to 160, over and over again. I am getting discouraged :( did anyone else run into this issue when they first went on the pump? and is there hope for me? lol

This is very common and unfortunately you will find that you will have to tweak any time your body changes. I go month with no issues and suddenly need to lower my rates. Once you get it figured out though it is pretty smooth sailing. I lose weight, need to adjust. Go into the busy season at work, need to adjust, slow back down at work, need to adjust. The pump is wonderful though and once you get used to it you will love it. I have been pump for 10 years and would never go back to shots! Good luck and keep working closely with your doctor.

[quote user="Amie Meenk"]

This is very common and unfortunately you will find that you will have to tweak any time your body changes. I go month with no issues and suddenly need to lower my rates. Once you get it figured out though it is pretty smooth sailing. I lose weight, need to adjust. Go into the busy season at work, need to adjust, slow back down at work, need to adjust. The pump is wonderful though and once you get used to it you will love it. I have been pump for 10 years and would never go back to shots! Good luck and keep working closely with your doctor.

[/quote]

This exactly. It actually took me about a year to fully adjust to my pump and get my settings more stable.  I needed to adjust for my menstrual cycle, weekends vs. weekdays, busy traffic hours, etc.  I even have to adjust for the season.  Once you get it figured out, it is all worth it.  Just keep going.

I had the same issues. I went on the pump back and June and I'm seeing my endo tomorrow for adjustments. I found that the carelink software helped me a lot! 

Thanks everyone! I am happy to know I'm not the only one who faces this! I guess I will just get used to it and know the settings by heart in the future but it just might take a little longer, thank you all for replying! :)

As most ppl have said, it definitely takes some tweaking. Just when I think I have it figured out, something changes and you have to readjust again. I got my first pump when I was 12, I'm 23 now. Just hormones on their own were insane! Not to mention everything else that happens, lol. It is totally worth it though, as you get used to having it, you will be able to figure out when you need different setting. Your pump may have the option to have several different programs, which could be useful, one for the week, one for the weekend, or one for days you go the gym, stuff like that. I have found stress makes me crazy and I have to take a ton more insulin than normal. You will get the hang of it soon! Good luck!

I don't have to deal with the hormones, but it still took me several weeks to have reasonably good control. It was like yours is now at that stage. Three months from my start I had great control and my next A1c was 5.7. I have been pumping 3 and a half years, but I still have to tweak some things every week. I am always striving for perfection, that is why I am changing things so often. Lol!