Diet!

So my family went on a diet and we each have our own personal plans. Mine involves two miles of tredmill each day, and i do that. Then usually the exercise hits around six hours later and i end up being low all night and not being able to get my blood sugars up. I tried everything, smarties, juice, even three rice cakes and nothing worked. please help!

Somewhere in that 6 hours is probably a meal or a snack? You could try either 1 - eating a slightly larger meal/snack without taking extra insulin or 2 - just decreasing the current amount of insulin you're taking for whatever you're eating. If there isn't any food in that 6 hour timespan, you might have to consider adding some or reducing your basal insulin (through a pump or long-acting insulin, whichever you use).

If your on a pump, you may want to try a reduced basal either before, during, or after the exersize. (or a combination) I started with half basal for 30 minutes, than increased when I kept going low. 

Also, you may want to take a juice or a snack before you exersize, test in the middle, then test after. Of course take a juice or a snack if your low.

If you are going low and absolutley NOTHING is working, try suspending your pump for a few minutes? That may work, but I'd definently ask your doctor before doing that. 

Hope that helped!

Oh and I also go low a few hours after I exercise!  I could never figure out why but I hope I helped!

Maybe if you break it up into 1 mile 2x a day.  Just a thought.  I have many troubles with excersize also, but its an idea!!  But if u are on the pump a temp basal is probebly a good idea!!

[quote user="C"]

Somewhere in that 6 hours is probably a meal or a snack? You could try either 1 - eating a slightly larger meal/snack without taking extra insulin or 2 - just decreasing the current amount of insulin you're taking for whatever you're eating. If there isn't any food in that 6 hour timespan, you might have to consider adding some or reducing your basal insulin (through a pump or long-acting insulin, whichever you use).

[/quote]

I agree with C 100%, as per usual ;-)

I HATE when my blood sugar drops after I exercise bc I feel like I did all that work for nothing. I usually decrease the amount of insulin I would normally take before dinner after I've worked out, and that really seems to help. My blood sugars don't seem to be affected too much on days I do strength training, just on days I do the treadmill or elliptical, they really seem to drop at night. Hope this helps!!

Wow! Thanks everyone!! The snack thing totally worked, so thank you C. y'all rockkk! haha.

I would also try to exercise at a similar time each day, so you can make changes to your insulin dose and just keep it there each day. I always exercise after lunch and after LITERALLY months of playing around with doses, I found the right lunch ratio, etc. Your parents should probably check in w/ your endo if the family is making such a big change.

Good luck getting in shape! I've been a little lazy recently, so I'll have to try to get back on the bandwagon with you. (:

Hi Rebecca,

What I've found in the 14 years that I've been running is that during periods when I'm running consistently, (run at least 5 times per week) I have completely different basal needs than during periods when I'm slacking off, or not running at all.  My point is, you will probably have to pay close attention to your basal rates as you become more consistent with your running.  Your basal insulin rates will probably go down for the entire day as your body will use the insulin more efficiently. 

Good Luck!

Cindy

orange juice and ice cream have tons of sugar they send me high if i drink them when im not low because of all that sugar