Do lows wake you up?I

I cannot remember what time my son went to bed last night, but right before midnight he walked groggily into my room and announced that his blood sugar woke him up.  He checked and was 57.  Is this usual?  Does anybody else do this?  There is no pattern to go on, but it seems like a good thing if it is.

He's been doing his 3 a.m. checks on his own (woo-hoo!) on dance nights.  If he hadn't woken up on his own before midnight with 57, I wonder what he would have been by 3 a.m.

So is there anyone out there who wakes up because of being low?

Sadly Riley does not wake up when she is low. 58 was her lowest at 2 a.m. checks. I wish they woke her up then I wouldnt worry so much.

I have a few times. Waking up from a low is one of the worst feelings ever..it is 100 times worse than having a normal low (at least in my experiences). When this happens to me I wake up in a pool of sweat, I can't move for a couple minutes because I'm half asleep and I don't know what is going on at first so its hard for me to move, once I realize what is happening it takes me a few more minutes of motivation to get myself to actually move. I'm not sure why it is so hard for me to get up, but it feels like an elephant is sitting on my body! This happened to me a few nights ago and it was the worst one I've ever had...I felt sooo out of it, it was really scary =/

They wake me up very rarely (like once every 5 years), usually after a strange dream. I wish they woke me up more often b/c it would be good to know, huh!

Lows wake me up all the time, thankfully.  I'll gradually wake up if I'm dropping low slowly but if I'm dropping low rapidly I will snap awake and get to the kitchen before to stave off further dropping.

[quote user="Angie13"]

He checked and was 57.  Is this usual?  Does anybody else do this?

So is there anyone out there who wakes up because of being low?

[/quote]

I leap out of bed and it takes a good 10 minutes to figure out why I am standing up and not sleeping.  (47 and below)

I lie in bed wide awake but exhausted heart pounding and crazy thoughts  (50-60)

The deal is this, if all things are working properly, a low blood sugar will have the same affect on a person as an anxiety attack.  It is normal and a very good thing, because if you didn't release a boatload of adrenaline when low, you could easily just keep sleeping and find yourself... well... in a lot of trouble!

Sometimes in the middle of the night i'm low and i'l only be 80-70. but sometimes i sleep a whole night and in the morning i'll wake up anywhere from 60-the mid 20's!!!! I don't know why I'm weird like that and love it!

They don't usually wake me up. But if I do wake up low, I feel really off and may make my way to the kitchen to eat anything I can.

Usually I do! All of a sudden I am wide awake, usually sweaty with my heart beating fast and around 50-60 mg/dl. My eyes are suddenly wide open and I can't fall asleep till I've had some glucose tabs.

My mom doesn't trust that I will wake up when low, though, so she gets me up almost every night.

I wake up I just roll over and know I have to get up I usally get a juice than wander into my parents room . If I don't wake up my cat does for me she bites scratches meows at me whatever it takes ! one night I was 1.2 ( 21.6) and I was so weak I coulnt get myself to wake up I guess is how i'd put it .. So my cat tryed everything I guess I was dropping even more because the next thing I know she pulls the covers back and Pee's all over me gotta love cat's right

my husband always wakes up when he is low. we don't know about our son yet- the few times he could have gone low we woke him up to drink juice before he got too low. some families at a diabetes family camp we went to said their children will wake screaming like a night terror. i guess at least they are waking up then, but that sounds kinda scary...

i always wake up. somehow, i incorporate the low blood sugar into my dream and force myself awake. or i'll have a psychotic dream and wake up anyway. in 20 years, there are only 2 instances (at least that i remember) where i didn't wake up.

[quote user="Vered"]

I have a few times. Waking up from a low is one of the worst feelings ever..it is 100 times worse than having a normal low (at least in my experiences). When this happens to me I wake up in a pool of sweat, I can't move for a couple minutes because I'm half asleep and I don't know what is going on at first so its hard for me to move, once I realize what is happening it takes me a few more minutes of motivation to get myself to actually move. I'm not sure why it is so hard for me to get up, but it feels like an elephant is sitting on my body! This happened to me a few nights ago and it was the worst one I've ever had...I felt sooo out of it, it was really scary =/

[/quote]

I agree 100% with this! exact same thing.

I wake up sometimes........but not every time, unfortunately.  On the nights when I'm super low, I never seem to wake up  :(

i tend to wake up suddenly, heart pounding and really sweaty, with an already super low blood sugar.  ...usually 2.5 or less. If its higher than that, i don't usually wake up.

My son, Christopher, is nine. He was dx when he was eight. Thankfully, whether it is day or night, he becomes aware when he is going low and checks his bg. 

Thankfully every single time im low during the night I wake up like C said I either just get up or have a phycotic dream.. WHen I first got diagnosed at 6 I didnt wake up but from prob like 8 on I have. even if i try I cant sleep wiht a low blood sugar.

Fortunately, I always wake up when I'm low.  It makes me nervous though thinking about what if, especially if I'm sleeping alone.  But that's why it's just always good to be as prepared as possible.  The best offense is a good defense.  Most of the time if you keep a routine and do the same things, you're not going to get a lot of really random readings, at least from my experience.

i know the feelings you're describing all too well. For me, it's also a matter of how low my BG level is. If my BG is lower than 40, my experience is almost the same as what Vered writes. If my BG level is between 40 and 60 I often wake up, but am so disoriented I find it difficult to even figure out what's wrong. Being half asleep doesn't help. On a few occasions I've awakened and realized my BG level was very low, but couldn't manage the simple decison to get immediate help or go get some orange juice even with my significant other in the same room. The result was passing out and depending on someone making a 911 call to revive me. I also travel 4 to 5 days a week and waking up in a hotel room with a low sugar level is even more scary, but I'm glad I at least do awaken. Several people I've talked with do not wake up and they have suffered badly because they didn't.

The nightly lows are one of the primary reasons I recently purchased and started using a Continuos Glucose Monitoring (CGM) system even though my insurance company will not cover it. It was a big expense, but still less than the cost of the emergency medical bills I've experienced in a single year. The night time lows and other lows I periodically experienced just got to be too much.

I think so, but I don't challenge the odds. The one you can't feel at all may be the last.