Do lows wake you up?I

It is rare that I wake up from the actually low itself. My husband checks my sugar while I am sleeping and occasionally I will wake up while he is trying to give me juice. I usually just sleep through the whole ordeal. I know upon waking though when I have had a low because I wake up kind of smelly from sweating during the low sugar.

I have woken up a few times really shaky and out of it but I haven't checked and I have gone back to sleep, which is probably not the right thing to do. I have woken up the next morning with a headache on those occasions. But due to the dawn effect my levels are usuallly around 7.5 to 9 (135 to 162) in the morning even if I may have gone low overnight. It is rare that I wake up due to the low though it is usually due to my beautiful son (10 month old ordinary sleeper).

I generally wake up when I am low and if i try to go to sleep when I'm low I cant fall asleep. So if I havent tested super recently and I cant fall asleep I test and am low generally. I consider myself very hypo aware though when I'm awake I can usually tell I'm low or on my way to low when I am in my high 70s.

-Rosemary

Sometimes my lows wake me up. Usually I sleep through the night. If I wake up at night I tend to think it is sugar related. I have had the cold sweats and real lows, but not as of late.

Last night i think I had a low, I need to look at the data in my CGM still though. I do know, that for the first time in so many years I sleep walked (slept walked??) out of my room in the Sem. and wandered down the hallway. I woke up staring at my friends door. Not sure how I got there, but seeing as how I was a little confused, I have to think I was low. I came back to my room and looked at my CGM which was on my bed and it was beeping telling me I was out of range for about 30 minutes. I have to think I was at least wandering my room or the halls for that long. Weird, but hey at least I woke up and wasn't found by someone in the morning sleeping on the floor.

They alwas wake me up - and if I am restless trying to get to sleep, the first thing I do is check BG.  Like some of you, I toss and turn for a bit then snap awake and check my sugar.  Anything under 70 will wake me up and under 50 puts me in a panic that will occasionally lead to "overchocolating" (if it is available) or eating until I feel it has passed, then trying to recap the carbs i ate to correct.

They are not nearly as bad on the pump as they used to be with long-acting at bedtime.  I used to wake up in the 30's.

no! it sucks I have to set my alarm and wake myself up every 3 hours sometimes. Last night I was high before bed. So I bolused. Then I had to set my alarm in-case I went low..and I did.  And to my suprise, I was low. Then this morning I got up and was low again. So much for a good night's sleep.

[quote user="Keith Rust"]

Anything under 70 will wake me up and under 50 puts me in a panic that will occasionally lead to "overchocolating" (if it is available) or eating until I feel it has passed, then trying to recap the carbs i ate to correct.

[/quote]

Yeaa.... That's usually my biggest problem and it used to be worse that it is now.   But when my BS would hit 50-60, I would just EAT EAT EAT!!!  And then 45min later it would be high...   I've trained myself pretty well to realize if that I eat the right amount even if it still feels low, if I just relax, it will pass.

"Overchocolating" haha that's funny...

My son Spencer , age 11, has been waking up the last few nights with lows in the 60's-- we've adjusted his dinner cho and insulin levels to see if it makes a difference...He's newly diagnosed Diabetes-1 and uses Lantus in the evening.

[quote user="Brian Q."]

Sometimes my lows wake me up. Usually I sleep through the night. If I wake up at night I tend to think it is sugar related. I have had the cold sweats and real lows, but not as of late.

Last night i think I had a low, I need to look at the data in my CGM still though. I do know, that for the first time in so many years I sleep walked (slept walked??) out of my room in the Sem. and wandered down the hallway. I woke up staring at my friends door. Not sure how I got there, but seeing as how I was a little confused, I have to think I was low. I came back to my room and looked at my CGM which was on my bed and it was beeping telling me I was out of range for about 30 minutes. I have to think I was at least wandering my room or the halls for that long. Weird, but hey at least I woke up and wasn't found by someone in the morning sleeping on the floor.

[/quote]

i don't think it was low sugars, bp. i think you were possessed by the devil. like that chick in paranormal activity. check and make sure no one was stabbed while you were "sleeping"

Doubtful on that one C. I don't think the devil would come near me. You, yes.

tooooooooooooo late :D

I get really weird dreams...Sometimes I wake up on my own, but more often then not I don't. Like for Show Choir last weekend, we got on the bus at about midnight heading home on a two hour drive. I just cashed out. The next thing I know the choir director is shaking me awake, somewhat freaked out, becuase aparently I won't wake up. My bs was 75, so that was probably just a case of being dead tired, but I've gotten to the low 40's asleep before anyone notices...

I actually Had my first nighttime low that woke me up this past week, is that odd??

Anyway, it was a whole ton of sweaty, disorientated, and shakey stumbling around trying to find where I put my little bottles of Apple juice all the while trying not to wake my roomate.  All in all, I'm glad that i did wake up, cause when I tested I was like 50 or something.

And, I also didn't wake up my roommate! Mission Accomplished. haha

My daughter wakes up thankfully  ........Shannon Samples,I just clicked on to your link under your name-Dragonfly Dreams,your candle shop,to raise money for research for the cure of diabetes.What a wonderful idea.

yes, lows wake me up. thank god. it freaks me out. it's kinda weird, actually. normally, i hate waking up at any time. i don't care if i'm running late or whatever. but i literally wake up like a zombie and go for the nearest juice box or gluc tabs. amazing.

Think it's time to put some snacks and such in the nightstand.I use to do that for my daughter just in case..

I have never slept though a low, they always wake me up! but so do my highs

I always wake up for my lows when I'm sleeping. When I do they are usually around 40 and I am just soooo sweaty its pretty gross. I get up stumble around and just stuff my face with some skittles hah and then just fall down on my bed and hope the feeling goes away pronto.

The funniest low I ever had was one night when I was in high school, we were reading Beowolf in english and I was dreaming that I was beowolf. I woke up low still thinking I was beowolf, somehow got to the kitchen and made myself some cereal...I really thought I was eating porridge until I came around and was wondering what the heck I was doing. It was so weird.

I wake up if I'm low or going low. Usually if I'm sweating pretty bad that wakes me up and then I'll test my BSL. I keep a small bottle of sunny d and glucose tabs on my nightstand just in case.

I will wake up when I get to be really low, as in 40s range.  If I'm trying to fall asleep and can't, I will check because usually that means I'm also incredibly low.  But if I'm 50-60, I can stay asleep.