Do you night test your kid/kids?

So…who tests their kids in the night? I am on a Facebook page and I’d say 90% night test setting an alarm at 3am…I was told by the nurse that I don’t need to do this so as a rule I test before I go to bed, if she is in Hypo then I test and try again a short while later and see if she has risen enough…then I test in the morning. What do you do and am I doing this wrong? Not sure I could get up at 3am everyday without falling asleep at work :slight_smile: xx

Sam,

Every one is different and not all of us need to do any testing during the night. As you point out, you are vigilant and check Holly’s BG before you turn in and make any adjustments needed. I’d agree with the nurse and continue doing what you are doing until you notice any changes in her patterns. Of course, if she is sick, such as fever, vomiting, flu, etc., I’d advise that you check her BG every few hours furing the day and once or twice during the night.

If I make it to July 4th [and there isn’t much chance that I will not; my minimum goal is age 91] I’ll celebrate my 75th birthday and begin my 60th year on insulin and it is only in the last three years that I began testing during the night other than when I awoke because of going hypo. Just so happens that I need to get up about 3 AM so while I’m at least partially awake I do a blood test.

I hope that your life has now become less tense and that your daughter is doing well. :slight_smile:

Hi Dennis, thanks for the advice. Life is a little easier as we are currently on holiday in a hot country and I think we are also in the honeymoon period so she has had no insulin which means no injections other then the night time one for the last 3/4 days…bizarre but lovely too. Shame I know it’s going to change and the pattern will return :frowning: Dreading it as I feel we are having some “normality” at the moment…plus how do you explain to a 3 year old that she will need insulin again at some point…well…just as bluntly as that I guess, but if she understands it or not is another matter xx

Sam,
I’m happy to hear that for you things are getting a little easier - and also know that this is difficult explaining to a three year old. Although at about three years old our granddaughter started “helping” me with my blood tests and by five she had learned how to measure doses in my pen.

Enjoy your warm weather holiday. but a note of caution, in continued hot weather such as a two week holiday I’ve noticed a sharp reduction in the amount of insulin I require - even when over indulging on restaurant foods. Since moving permanently from Massachusetts to Florida my total daily insulin usage has cut in half. So, be aware that when you return to cooler climate she may require insulin - I don’t really understand duration of “honeymoon” and if it ends suddenly without warning.

Yes, I am told that her BG will increase and she will need more insulin…I’m also told that the weather in the UK is improving (which is rare :slight_smile: x) but we shall see x We will keep a close eye and I’m hoping that she will happily do her own insulin as she can almost do her own BG test now…she just doesn’t have the finger strength to push the button but yet but she will have xx

When my son was first diagnosed, we did the middle of the night testing. However, his APRN told us we no longer need to do that unless he is having hypos throughout the day. His levels stay fairly consistent so I test him right before bed and unless he is low, I don’t test again until I wake up.

My son was diagnosed January 2015 & our Endo still wants us doing 2 am checks. I’m in total agreement with this though because I have caught many middle of the night lows. But…January 2016 we finally got him on a CGM (Dexcom) & it has been a huge relief to me. I don’t get up every night now. I set Dex to alert me to highs & lows. So, that way I still get some good nights of sleeps. Other nights…Dex is waking me up to treat him. Even 17 months into this we are still dealing with the Honeymoon phase…so his ratios still change, his basal still gets adjusted, etc. I look forward to this eventually smoothing out! Hang in there…you are doing great!

Hey there. Our son has had T1 for 6 years. He’s 16 now. We don’t get up in the middle of the night either. Our endo doesn’t deem this necessary unless for the same reasons already stated. When he does want us to do it because his A1C has been unusually good for a teenager his 3 am check is rarely low for him. I must admit I haven’t slept much anyway since his diagnosis because of my fears. I often check on him in the middle of the night just to make myself feel better. But we do the same things you do. Luckily he’s very hypoglycemic aware. He wakes up when he does go low. I’m worried that will change over time. I would like him to wear a cgm but he doesn’t like anything attached to his body. Thankfully he takes good care of his diabetes so we let him make decisions so that he feels in control of something since we all know this disease can make you feel quite the opposite. His A1C his always been below 8 so he must be doing something right.

Hi, our son was diagnosed a year ago at 12 months old. We are still trying to get dosaging more stable & has been on the T-slim pump for about 6 months. I still get up during the night to check BG but only bc we have found that he tends to have lows out of the blue sometimes (probably due to some honeymooning). I, myself, still find it difficult to be as “worry free” overnight as his endo suggests.
I would say to do what you’ve been doing & check when you feel it’s necessary.

My daughter was diagnosed right after she turned 2. She is 4 now, and I test multiple times a night. We tried a CGM, but she hated it and it was very traumatic for her. Also, we found that it wasn’t that accurate, so she would be 55 and the CGM said she was over 100, which was very scary for me, so she doesn’t wear it. I test her before she goes to bed, and then a couple of hours later I test before I go to bed. Then about 3 hours later I set my alarm to wake up and check her. I’m a teacher and get up at 5am, so I also check her around 5:45am before I leave, and I do that same time in the summer even though I can sleep later. With young ones growing constantly and it seems like at least once a month we adjust her insulin doses, she tends to have her lows at night and not during the day. There are many nights when she has “perfect” numbers (85-95), but that is so close to low that I feel like I get up every hour to check her to make sure she doesn’t suddenly drop, which is is prone to do between 3am-5:30am. I hope that as she gets older and her growth levels out more her numbers will too so I can get more sleep! But remember that every person is different, so you may only have to check your child once a night or never. Do what you feel is best for you and your child.

HI Sam, to be honest I still check my daughter at night and she is 10, but I agree with Dennis if everything is calm and her numbers are within range then you are doing everything right. If you feel worried about lows at night a CGM might be the way to go. I still check my daughter and she is 10. In fact we just had her Dia-versary this month. I am not sure if i even spelled that right in the type 1 community. My daughter`s endo told us about it and made us realize we really have had come along way and it was a milestone stone to celebrate (in a weird way) Also, as i was reading you mentioned your daughter is in the honeymoon phase! I can tell you in the beggining it was wonderful some days it felt like her pancreas was just “normal” and i was going to wake up and all this was a bad dream, and there was days she didnt need any corrections. But as the “honeymoon” phase went on reality set in she slowly needed more and more insulin. We made it to just under a year, when her honeymoon ended, it was bittersweet. You will realize when its done. Good luck.

Hello. My daughter has been T1 for 3 years. We still test her during the night when she isn’t wearing a CGM or if her pump goes off for high or low BG. We are trying to teach her how to self treat when the pump goes off in the midle of the night, but she is the type that would rather sleep. At year 2, we did not do many night tests, but since she is a preteen now we have to test her because of hormone changes.