Do You Think 'Donuts for Diabetes' Challenege is Irresponsible?

We ran an article today on Diabetes News Hound about a diabetes fundraiser involving eating lots of donuts and running sponsored by Krispy Kreme. You can see it here: Krispy Kreme Sponsors Donuts for Diabetes Challenge

There are generally two schools of thought on fundraisers like this. One says that any money coming in to help find a cure for diabetes is a good thing. The other says that this type of fundraiser has good intentions, is irresponsible.

Which camp are you in?

OTHER HEADLINES FROM DIABETES NEWS HOUND

Fast-Acting Insulin One Step Closer to FDA Approval

Type 1 Skier Kris Freeman Doesn’t Finish Final Olympic Event

I guess I'm missing something - what's irresponsible about this?

An ignorant person my think a diabetic can't eat a donut, but that is flat-out false. There is nothing we can't eat, and I take offense to people telling me I can't eat something. That's what insulin is for.

Another ignorant person may say 'eating donuts leads to diabetes', as is with all the BS commercials I had to sit through during the olympics trying to get people to support NY state's tax on sugary drinks, claiming that drinking them leads to diabetes, which is also flat-out false.

Adam, I caught your little Sugar tax rant. I was actually planning on saying something about this ad at some point. First though I am going to see if they are as misleading on their site. Stupid sugar tax.

Is it Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes that the funds are being raised for?

Reading the article it states the funds are for the JDRF.

Some would argue that eating a dozen donuts uis not a good thing for anyone let alone a person with type 1 diabetes. Sure, we can eat that many if we like, but is it really a good idea? Obviously no one associates Krispy Kreme with healthy eating, but in a way they are presenting themselves as diabetes-friendly. Sure, I enjoy a donut more than I should, but this is probably not the most appropriate promotion to raise funds. That said, the more money the better. -n the end it comes down to personal responsibility. On a side note, there is a link between diet and type 2 diabetes. While researchers don’t know the exact cause, they do know there is an association between weight, poor diet and type 2. A number of type 1s have been developing type 2 as well. I personally don’t car how they raise the money, but I understand why some might see this effort as misguided.

Type 2 diabetes is irrelevant when you're discussing the JDRF, as they focus on real diabetes (ie - Type 1).

On a side note - a Type 2 (non-insulin dependent) that does not take care of themselves can turn into a Type 1 (insulin dependent) as they progress down the rabbit hole of over stressing their body and organs. Type 1 does not, and can not, turn into Type 2, unless a Type 1's pancrease somehow started working again. In that case, I'll take a working pancrease, and just need to take pills...sign me up! I'll gladly take more pills and cut out these needles!

Back onto topic, however: eating a dozen donuts a day every day is obviously not healthy, but doing it once will only lead to a stomach ache and add to the mid section if the calories aren't burned off. Krispy Kreme (or any other company or substance) should not, as an entity, be associated either with healthy or un-healthy eating. (Aside - I'm surprised NBC allowed all of the Coke and McDonald's commercials during the Olympics with Michelle Obaba's childhood obesity parade, as these are supposed "un-healthy") The issue with the "healthy eating" debate is that personal responsibility has been taken out of the equation. You can get all fat and full of diabetes (Type 2, of course) by eating a thousand pounds of salad and tofu a day, but those are considered to be 'healthy' foods. However, if I choose to have a donut, I'm eating "unhealthy". That was my point in saying this is not irresponsible, but in fact helpful to the cause ($$$$$!!!!) and it sounds like a lot of fun!

While it is true that type 1 cannot turn into type 2, people with type 1 can and have at an alarming rate also developed type 2. People who have only type 2 do produce insulin, but the disease is characterized by insulin resistance - that’s the actual disorder. Obviously people with type 1 won’t start producing insulin as people with type 2 only do, but they can and do become insulin resistant. Therefore people with both types have a very hard time because they not only have to inject imsulin, they also have trouble absorbing the hormone, requiring them to take more insulin

I am completely for any company raising money for the JDRF... If i worked for krispy cream i will still want to raise money using the company even though we produce completely unhealthy food (unhealthy for anybody)

However I think the whole eating 12 donuts and running thing is stupid and I would def be one of the people eating A donut (maybe 2) and running. to each his own.

I held a "Dips for Diabetes" fund raiser at Cold Stone Creamery and for JDRF too! Not one person said it was irresponsible, rather they were glad to indulge for a good cause!

Life is way too short!!!  Enjoy a donut or two.  If Krispy Kreme was telling everyone to eat a dozen donuts a day, then I would be concerned.  We should be thankful for the support and fundraising efforts.

Kim

When I first saw this earlier this morning, I thought "Huh, that's kind of like 'fighting for peace', isn't it?".  But, the more I've mulled it over, I'd have to agree with most of what's been said here.  Dollars are dollars, and I don't really care where they come from (um, unless we're talking illegally).  All and any help finding a cure is appreciated, as far as I'm concerned.  Plus, I'm sure the fact that donuts are involved gets the fundraiser a lot more attention than it might otherwise - so, way to go marketing people!

[quote user="DiabetesNewsHound"]While it is true that type 1 cannot turn into type 2, people with type 1 can and have at an alarming rate also developed type 2. People who have only type 2 do produce insulin, but the disease is characterized by insulin resistance - that's the actual disorder. Obviously people with type 1 won't start producing insulin as people with type 2 only do, but they can and do become insulin resistant. Therefore people with both types have a very hard time because they not only have to inject imsulin, they also have trouble absorbing the hormone, requiring them to take more insulin

[/quote]

I'm confused.  Type 1 indicates that the pancreas doesn't produce insulin.  I have never heard of a type 1 turning into a type 2, as  a matter of fact, I recall the docs when my son was diagnosed saying this couldn't happen.  Did I miss something?

I don't think it's irresponsible.  I have seen things that are a lot less responsible than this in fundraising for all causes.  And  at least there's a run involved.  Of course, I think that I would throw up if I ate a dozen donuts and attempted to run.  The reality is that we all like our sweets.  Overdoing it, regardless of diabetes, is never a good thing, but I don't deprive my son of anything.  As a matter of fact, we surprised him with donuts yesterday morning for the first time since his diagnosis.  I'm all for it!

[quote user="Ann Marie"]

[quote user="DiabetesNewsHound"]While it is true that type 1 cannot turn into type 2, people with type 1 can and have at an alarming rate also developed type 2. People who have only type 2 do produce insulin, but the disease is characterized by insulin resistance - that's the actual disorder. Obviously people with type 1 won't start producing insulin as people with type 2 only do, but they can and do become insulin resistant. Therefore people with both types have a very hard time because they not only have to inject imsulin, they also have trouble absorbing the hormone, requiring them to take more insulin

[/quote]

I'm confused.  Type 1 indicates that the pancreas doesn't produce insulin.  I have never heard of a type 1 turning into a type 2, as  a matter of fact, I recall the docs when my son was diagnosed saying this couldn't happen.  Did I miss something?

[/quote]

He's not saying a t1 turns into a t2. he's saying t1s can develop the t2 characteristic of insulin resistance. and yes, it's very possible. insulin resistance can happen to t1s and t2s.

personally, i'm all about raising the funds. i'd be one of the people throwing up on the side of the road if i tried to participate in this, but if it raises money, i'm all for it.

Although it is a strange idea, I don`t think it is irresponsible. We should all be thankful to Krispy Kreme for choosing us to donate money to. Whether they are doing it to bolster their public image or just out of the kindness of their heart, it will produce money for a great cause. It`s not like they are a cigarette company holding a chain-smoking competition that benefits a lung cancer cause.

Nothing irresponsible about this.  I'd do it:)

Krispy Kreme donates a huge amount of money to all diabetes research! I remember reading at one point upwards of 20% of the CEO's pay check goes to fund diabetes research. Why?? For a plain and simple reason that they want everyone to be able to freely enjoy their doughnuts. I think that is fair!

Irresponsible has nothing to do with it =p make your own choice on weather to participate I say! but it is for a good cause! A world full of people free to eat doughnuts lol

[quote user="Adam"]

On a side note - a Type 2 (non-insulin dependent) that does not take care of themselves can turn into a Type 1 (insulin dependent) as they progress down the rabbit hole of over stressing their body and organs.

[/quote]

Adam,

While I do agree with the points you made in your post, I just wanted to point out that a T2 can not turn into a T1.  A T2 that wears out their pancreas and requires insulin is just considered an insulin dependent Type 2.

As far as the discussion about Type 1's developing Type 2, I know that this concept is supported in the medical community, but I do disagree with it as a concept.  Here's why: there are other physiological processes happening in long-term T1 Diabetics that can contribute to insulin resistance.  One of these has to do with extra abdominal fat from high insulin doses (this can be seen even in non-overweight T1's).  This metabolically active abdominal fat can cause insulin resistance - but is it really a result of poor lifestyle choices, or a result of years of taking higher insulin doses than would be necessary in a non-T1 person?  In T1 women, insulin resistance can also be a result of PCOS, and the PCOS is a result of excess androgen production stimulated by hyperinsulinemia (lots of insulin from injection). 

My point is this: there are several different ways that a T1 can develop insulin resistance.  Most of them are a result of the large amounts of insulin we must take each day to keep our blood sugars within a healthy range.  Yes, it certainly is possible that insulin resistance can be a result of obesity in a T1, but I think given the unique circumstances of insulin resistance in T1's, it's not really accurate to diagnose T1 insulin resistance as "Type 2".

I also don't see a problem with the fundraiser.  I don't really know anyone who could eat 12 donuts anyway lol.  I could eat 2, tops.  I'd bolus for them and be fine.

Molly

Type one the gave all their proceeds to JDRF