Do you treat your T1 differently than before diagnosis?

I have been told that over the past year since G's diagnosis I have started treating him differently. He's able to do things that were not allowed now. My reactions and punishments and pretty much everything has been lessened since we've been dealing with diabetes. I am going to need  to try to be aware of my actions toward him. It seems as though I'm coddling him as though he is disabled. I have started to baby him. He is at an age that he needs to start taking responsibility instead of using me as a crutch or even his diabetes as a crutch. 

Is anyone else doing this? Am I the only one? 

Gabe is 13 years old and in 8th grade. 

Struggling right now with extreme highs, and insulin intolerance. 

My daughters have told me I was doing the same with my son. He’s 12 and was diagnosed 18 months ago. I have been trying to keep a better watch on how I handle his punishments and responsibilities but I still find myself wanting to coddle him even though he’s in middle school. We’re moms and its in our nature to coddle I think. I’m trying to do better but I think its just an adjustment that us as parents have to go through also. It’s their bodies but they’re still our babies. So to answer your question, no you definitely aren’t the only one.

Thank you! Here's to both of us for the future.

Hi Epolly,

Your son is probably insulin resistant due to puberty.  Our doctor told us from puberty to adulthood it is quite difficult to control blood sugar so don't despair.

Also, I only have my one son but I do know that we may sometimes shelter him because of his diabetes.  We do this mostly by either not having him participate in an activity such as a school outing or a few times he had a birthday party where the kids were going to a forest and climbing trees and doing aerial rope stuff and I was worried that my son would be up alone in a tree in the middle of the forest and have a low so I did not send him.

When the school outing is far away from home or over lunch when he needs a shot I do not send him.  I also sometimes allow him to stay home when he is tired due to high blood sugars when he wakes up or if he had a low in the night and we were up.

We don't hold back so much on punishment as such, I would say we are just more cautious as to what we allow him to do.  As he gets older and more responsible we will let him do more things on his own.  

Lastly, as the sibling of a T1 diabetic ( my older brother is Type 1 - I was much older when diagnosed) I don't think my mom treated us differently but my brother did require more attention due to the diabetes (this is over 35 years ago) and was hospitalized a lot more back in the day so my mom was gone/busy a lot with him.

The only special treatment he got was his own bathroom as this is where he would check his sugar, take his shot etc...and my mom wanted him to have access whenever he needed it.  Luckily, we had several bathrooms in the house!

I'm the diabetic and I always admired that my mom encouraged me to do everything and anything.  She never saw my diabetes as a disability and never said no to be doing whatever I wanted, even though I know it had to be stressful at times.  

As a kid and teenager I went on skiing trips with friends and my mom just made sure I took my glucose meter and lots of snacks to treat the inevitable lows.  I went on class trips to DC and once I graduated high school I worked as a camp counselor in another state.  

Every child is different.  And sons and daughters are different.  I also know that managing diabetes is stressful and you're trying not to add to that burden.  But anything you can do to help your child be more independent is good.  High and low blood sugars will happen, but as a person with diabetes you have to treat them and go on with life.  

Take care.  If you haven't done it already, see if there's diabetes summer camp in your area.  Camp is a great experience for any kid with diabetes.

For a child who is just learning to cope with diabetes themselves, leaving the safe environment of their families and home to go to a summer camp full of children they've never met and to trust a complete stranger to care for their diabetes is an extremely frightening event. That is something that every parent, and every child, needs to feel they're ready for (both emotionally and financially—because diabetes camp isn't cheap). We didn't even get the word out of our mouths before our son very emphatically said NO! He wasn't going anywhere with people he had never met. Maybe once he's older and more comfortable with his diabetes himself, but not now. We even mentioned a day camp, at which he said no again, until he realized I was talking about a FAMILY day camp. Then he was 150% for it.

Guess all kids are different.  I was ready to go to camp when I was 5 and was bummed I had to wait until age 8. =)  

I worked as a camp counselor for several years and often had kids who were hesitant to be there.  But within a few hours they got over their fear and settled in and had the time of their lives. I remember only 2 kids who couldn't handle camp out of the hundreds I interacted with.  Camp isn't for every child, but every child should have the opportunity to at least try it.  

If money is a concern make sure to contact the camp and your pediatrician's office.  Most camps offer scholarships.