Do you use a medical ID?

I wear a medical bracelet with:

My name
Type 1 Diabetic
Insulin Pump User

My daughter has a MedicAlert bracelet.

I didn’t know it could be embedded in her non drivers ID…I’ll have to see if that’s true in Pennsylvania.

I would love to Have all our medical history on a car like the Drivers License.
When we go to any Doctors office or Medical Institute. You do not have to answer any question It is all there.

Dani @dsiizuka , in the state of Florida drivers have the volunteer opportunity to have “insulin dependent diabetes” included in the emergency action section of driver’s license; no questions asked or visible restrictions. I believe the same information can be added to the non-driver state ID card.

Kabir @kabir14 I don’t know of any cards on which medical information can be embedded in a mag-strip; and then of course doctor’s offices would need a reader. What I do to make matters simpler for updating info at doctor visits is to hand in a copy of my updated MedicAlert EMIR which I print and carry with me in my wallet. The MedicAlert Foundation [medicalert.org] encourages members to go on-line and keep information current. The form [mine fills two sides of an 8.5 x 11" print when I shrink font size] has whatever “history” one wants to enter, all medicines taken including dosing, emergency contact notifications, doctor names and contact. When I’m asked by a doctor to update - I hand the sheet and have a copy made; most doctor assist people prefer the printed copy to hurredly written pen & ink.

Having seen and been to the medical facility.
I very much wish there was a handy medical record. Which would make very handy for the professionals to access and take the required, Requirement

I have a bracelet but now that I think about it idk where it is :flushed:

I use a bracelet, and have for over 20 years. I tried necklaces but they bugged me. I’m lucky to have a sterling silver one now that doesn’t turn me green.
I’m going to get a tattoo, but will still wear the bracelet in case of emergencies, since that’s what EMTs look for.

Medic Alert ™ bracelet and wallet card. Helped quite a bit in the two situations over the past 45 years when I needed help due to hypoglycemia.

I am happy to say I just ordered a Medic Alert smart ID card https://www.medicalert.org/smart-medical-ID-card
When the card is scanned it will show whatever is in the record at the time so updates to the record will come up - no need to order a new card! $10.00 well spent I think.

I have both a bracelet and a necklace with type 1, insulin pump, and my husband’s & son’s cell on it. I wear whichever works for my clothing that day and always have it on. I also have a smaller note strip with “diabetic insulin pump” in bright red laying on top of my license in my billfold. I knew of a T1d friend who was in an accident, when she arrived by ambulance at the hospital, at some point she realized her pump was entirely missing, gone. So I have tried to cover the bases

Yikes! I have a Magic Alert bracelet and engraving includes “external insulin pump.” Thankfully I’ve never had to use it but I do keep my bases covered. My endo’s phone number is also tagged as an emergency contact by phone.

I’m going to go against the grain here.
Been T1 for over 51 years. Through my childhood into young adulthood I always wore a Medic Alert necklace, then switched to a Medic Alert bracelet. Thirteen or fourteen years ago I switched to a Road ID subscription bracelet. But in the past 4 years I had 2 incidents where I was taken to an ER with injuries that prevented me from being able to communicate clearly and effectively. Both times I was wearing the RoadID bracelet, and both times no one who encountered me even glanced at the bracelet. Now this is a very subjective and extremely limited sample size, but I became convinced that Medic Alert and other similar products are useless. So I got a sizable tattoo on my right arm that is a medic alert and states I am T1. If I cannot speak for myself, emergency personnel need to know this. Yes I know this is not foolproof, if I had my arm taken off in an accident, or suffered third degree burns then the tattoo is moot.

I’ve wondered about this for quite some time. I haven’t worn jewelry of any type except a watch for 40 years. I don’t wear a bracelet, necklace, or anything else to indicate my T1 status. I do use the feature on my phone turned on with instructions giving my status, that the phone is a “medical device” controlling my pump, that I use both CGM and a pump. I’ve wondered if EMTs/hospitals are taught to check phones for info in case I can’t talk for myself. I’m not likely to change at this late date (68 yrs old), but will take any input into consideration.

Here’s a screenshot of the top portion of my emergency screen on my phone. Below that are phones numbers for my personal contacts as well as my endo. Hopefully that gets the job done in the event it’s ever needed.

Tom @Tlholz, I cannot speak for worldwide training and practices but I do know from firsthand and secondhand sources is that Medics, EMTs, and hospital emergency personnel are trained to be observant for medical information devices the most obvious location to look is the wrists; necklaces shift around and sometimes not seen. Tatoos???

I spoke with our daughter about this, she spent a couple of decades in trauma medicine before moving to a doctor of medical research and teaching at the university and she claims the wrist is the best place for MedicAlert as one of the first tasks encountered, after arresting heavy blood loss, is finding a place to insert IV, and both wrists/arms are checked.
If a mobile phone is found, ICE [In Case of Emergency] may be checked. When one opens the first fold of my trifold billfold, a sheet with red MedicAlert is the first thing seen; this two-sided sheet unfolds to reveal all my medical conditions, up-to-date-medication list [including the “Do NOT Remove Insulin Pump” - what Dorie pictured above - and list of all doctors and my emergency contacts. An advantage of the printed sheet, rather than just a phone number allowed for my immediate aggressive care - according to ER Personnel.

Nothing wrong with pencil and paper but for those who prefer electronics, Medic Alert’s electronic card I mentioned above (technically called a smart ID) allows someone to scan your assigned QR code to access whatever information you choose to include in your record, including medication lists and important instructions. You can update your info at any time by logging into your Medic Alert account. The info is available to anyone with a smartphone camera, but it’s no less secure than pencil and paper.
Stickers and watch band clips are also available for those who do not want to carry a card.