Doing Track... Need some help

In about a month I'm going to be doing outdoor track. the 1st 2 weeks are complete work out and the I'm going to be a sprinter and a thrower. Any one have any tips on how to not go low?

Eat snacks before hand without insulin.  Start with 15 carbs for every 30 minutes and see how that does.  If it isn’t enough, increase to 30 carbs.  My son’s endo finally gave up and this last time told him to sip (not drink) gatorade during dance to keep from going low.  It all depends on how hard you are working, but it’s better to prevent the lows BEFORE they happen.

If you're on the pump, set a temp basal .05 or 1.0 units down from your constant basal.  That helped me with painting my house, pulling weeds, and when I excercise at work.  Eating a quick snack may work if you leave your basal at a normal level. 

Ultimately, Courtney, listen to your own body and judge it based on what you decide  to do, you and I both know that livabetes is all about balance and correction when needed. 

xoxo girlie,

Have fun at practice!!!!

You will go low.  Just treat it, and learn from experience for next time.  Practice practice, and everyday you will get better. 

**Be sure to write down all your readings, how much you change your insulin, what you eat, and what activity you do exactrly.  Logging this information will help you in the future.  You will have good control in no time.

Also, anaerobic exercises (i.e., sprinting, throwing) can raise your sugar quickly, on account of hormones, just be prepared with everything and you'll be fine.

I would STRONGLY recommend the book, "The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" by Sheri Colberg.  She interviewed and surveyed diabetic athletes in all sports and types of activities to find out what they do to manage blood sugars during excercise.  Her book is a compilation of all their tips and tricks.  It helps to read and then try different things out to find what works for your body - since everyone's body seems to react a little differently.  This book helped me train for 100-mile bike rides and sprint triathlons.

In high school I ran XC, outdoor track and indoor track (all three seasons of running offered).  I ran mostly distance events (everything over 800m).

Just like getting good at track -- you'll need to practice.  You will go high, low, and sometimes you'll be good.

After a while you will see how much you need to reduce your basal by -- on an easy day you  won't need to much.  On a tough day of working out -- you might only be using 20%.  Also watch your basals while you are not working out -- since your overall metabolism will increase and you will need less insulin overall after some time.

Make sure when you do your shot put that you finish looking up. The ball will go where your eyes are...also be sure to shift your weight to your throwing side leg and if you do a glide, stay as low as you can.

Good luck!

/ Former shot/discus thrower
// Figured some track encouragement was needed :-)

Good for you - and good luck with Track! 

Only suggestion I have is talk to the coaches if you can to insure they know how to use the emergency glucagon kit and that you agree on where it will be kept .  It was very reassuring to have my sons downhill ski race coach aware of  things - he did a great job of keeping it low key  but was very reassuring to both my son and I.  

We found that practice tended to make him drop  but races tended to not-- I think that the adrenalin kicked in for the actual races.

use a CGMS, so you can see what is happening during your event, and then also, the next 24 hours after your workouts, you will see your sugars starting to drop because of the exercise, and then you want to make sure you either eat carbs, or lower your insulin, which ever is easier